Raleigh/Durham info needed
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raleigh/Durham info needed

Default Raleigh/Durham info needed

Hi folks

It looks like my job is getting transferred to the Raleigh/Durham area this summer. I was hoping the folks down there could give a few recomendations on towns to check for housing. I have 2 kids in HS (freshman/sophmore) and most important thing for us will be the environment they get put into.

And to keep this bike related If I move I will be looking forward to finding new roads to ride.

Thanks

Ken

PS I also posted this question on the NC board
    Over 7yrs, 60K miles and reliable as ever

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default Raleigh-Durham

My brother-in-law lives in Cary, a suburb of R-D. The schools are great and the neighborhood he lives in is almost new, super clean and very safe. I think the only downfall is that it is a bit pricey.

Tango

I lived in Raleigh for 10 years. Great town! The over all area, Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, is very nice. I moved there after college so I don't know much about the schools but I never heard anything negative about them.

Good luck!
    Common sense puts you ahead of 80% of the field!!

Quote Originally Posted by W03Tango View Post
    My brother-in-law lives in Cary, a suburb of R-D. The schools are great and the neighborhood he lives in is almost new, super clean and very safe. I think the only downfall is that it is a bit pricey.

Tango
    I agree, my brother lived there for 15-20 years before moving
    to Richmond Va.
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic31872_3.gif

I've visited the area for work and play on several occasions and I think you'll have more trouble trying to find a bad neighborhood than a good one. It's all awesome down there. But Cary is definitely known as the nicest superb there. It's a little expensive for NC, but pennies compared to up here in NY.
    Enjoy it!!

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    2004 VTX1300C Pearl Orange
    HK 3" Big Straights, Barron Extremes, Cobra Fattys, Pro-R Hypercharger, etc.

I live in Smithfield which is 20 miles SE off of I-40, a 20 minuet ride. Its more of a country setting and its pretty easy to find a brand new school close by. Cary is full of the regulations and home owners associations that don't try but they do tell you what you can do to your own property. I guess it depends on what type of setting you want to live in its a 10 min. ride to town from my place a 20-25 min. ride to raleigh depending on traffic. it sounds like if they mean Raleigh/durham they mean RTP the research triangle park. that is on the west side of Raleigh. Wake county is the county that raleigh is in. Johnston is just to the SE and a slower type of living . More laid back country folk. that is changing slowly as the older farmers are dying off and their families are selling the land for development. Let me know what your are looking for and I will help if i can.

I live in Raleigh-Durham. What can I help you with specifically? Which city is your job in? Let me know what I can do to assist.
    Last edited by dezzy7; 03-23-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    "The Rebuild" contrinues !!!

Quote Originally Posted by wp120470 View Post
    I live in Smithfield which is 20 miles SE off of I-40, a 20 minuet ride. Its more of a country setting and its pretty easy to find a brand new school close by. Cary is full of the regulations and home owners associations that don't try but they do tell you what you can do to your own property. I guess it depends on what type of setting you want to live in its a 10 min. ride to town from my place a 20-25 min. ride to raleigh depending on traffic. it sounds like if they mean Raleigh/durham they mean RTP the research triangle park. that is on the west side of Raleigh. Wake county is the county that raleigh is in. Johnston is just to the SE and a slower type of living . More laid back country folk. that is changing slowly as the older farmers are dying off and their families are selling the land for development. Let me know what your are looking for and I will help if i can.
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzy7 View Post
    I live in Raleigh-Durham. What can I help you with specifically? Which city is your job in? Let me know what I can do to assist.

Yes the job will be in RTP. I would like to keep my commute under 30 minutes. Public High school must be excellent

Well that leaves this side of Raleigh out but the Wake Forrest area might be of interest.Do some Google map searches of the area. Plenty of state parks. Jordan lake is nice. Lizard Lick from the true t.v. show is in Zebulon. Cary is a nice area but 250,000 for a small house isn't my idea of living. But hey if you got it go for it . lol. There are some nice outlying areas of Durham and the durham bulls ball park is easy to get to from most areas if you like baseball. In all it is a great area to live. Cost of living is average I think. Gas is around $3.78 a gal. milk is the same. Check out google and you can do a street level look at alot of places. At least you can get an idea of the area and one that might interest you. Come down and visit a weekend and look around.We welcome you and hope everything works out for the best.

I might be moving there in the next year or 2 also because of work(RTP), hoping so. Anyway, my sister in-law lives in Wake Forest, Youngsville area. We go down about every 3 months or so and we look around everytime we go. That said,

Schools there: they have academies, which my niece and nephews (10,12 and 14) go to and they love it. Stay in the same school the whole time. Their mom got them in there as fast as she could. She found that the public school they where in was not pushing them enough. But finding what works for your kids might take more work then just asking someone who doesn't have kids in school down there, yet.

Places to live: I have been looking into Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina and Apex off of Rt.55 south of RTP. I'm/we're liking Holly Springs more and more. You can get more house for your money and the area is up and coming. Not as built up as Apex and not so small town as Fuquay Varina but close to both. I would also consider Wake Forest and Yougsville just a little more travel for work and more traffic when doing so. I guess I want to be close but not to close. I also know the next house we buy will be the last so we want to get what we like and need in the right area.

Good Luck and Hope to see you riding in the area.
    Brothers not of kin but brothers in the wind
    Ride Fast, Ride Hard, Ride Safe!!!

Excellent schools will be in Cary/Apex, North Raleigh, Chapel Hill, some areas around Durham (Durham has some areas where I wouldn't live if the house was free).

There's a website www.zipskinny.com that you can use to see population demographics.

Mandatory task - If you think you are zeroing in on an area to live, drive from there at least twice during morning and evening rush hours to your workplace. A 30 minute drive at 10:00 can be closer to 90 at 7:30 in some areas.

Another task might be to take a look at the RDU airport map. Morrisville is a nice place to live and real close to RTP, as long as you don't mind aircraft noise. Same issue in NW Raleigh.

And to help keep this motorcycle related, you can go to www.meetup.com as that area has a couple of big motorcycle riding groups.

Steve
    Last edited by SteveF; 03-24-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Well its official my job is being moved to Raleigh. If all things work out I am hoping to move down in July. Been looking online for houses, been searching Cary/Morrisville/Apex and in that general area. I think I might fit in in Cary (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) but who know where we'll end up. We should be making our 1st visit down there this month. Company is sending everyone whos job has moved down for a long weekend to be able to check out the area. ........ I hate moving....

Well I get to be the first to say, Welcome to North Carolina. And think of how much closer to Myrtle Beach Bike Week you will be . Riding season is about 10-11 months a year here. Plenty of good places to ride and the area in general is a nice place to live. Glad to have you and your family.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.