Honda VTX Forum banner

water pump lifespan?

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Jim's X 
#1 ·
For those of you with 50,000 miles plus on your bikes, how many of you are still on your original water pump? I'm just curious. I currently have roughly 59,000 on my 1800 and I was wondering how much longer I can expect to go before I need to replace mine.

#2 ·
I have 54,000... but knowing Honda.. most will go well past 100,000 miles....

my Honda lawn tractor.. went 23 years. before water pump went.. but it took the timing belt with it.
200 dollars and a couple of hours of work.. its back cutting the yard again...happened last year.

I have seen Honda car water pumps go 150,000 miles. silica Free anti-freeze is the key.

#3 ·
My worry is that since Honda has discontinued the VTX 1800 engine, if in the future five to ten years from now if there will be parts available for the VTX1800 engine.

#4 ·
mileage

66,666 miles....05 vtx 1800f2.....wish i could show photo but ....trust me ..just went into garage and was startled when that number appeared.....all trouble free miles except for starter solinoid...battery and tires..... april 06 it had 3miles when took delivery.....all orginal except v/h big shots exhaust...xtreme revolution fairing....darkside rear..cooper zpt zeon 215/45/18....still get goose bumps when twisting the right wrist.... ......RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT BUT RIDE SAFE.....................ESKIMIO

#5 ·
Parts should be available till 2022. .. 20 years... except for tins/wheels/frame.....

If engine parts... cheaper for a complete engine from e-pay... thousand plus to rebuild...

my opinion...

I can still get some parts for early 70's Hondas.

#6 ·
130,000 and just lost the oil pump or chain jumped off not sure yet which one it is, gonna open it up this week and find out. As far as I know the water pump is fine.

Keeper

#7 ·
130,000 and just lost the oil pump or chain jumped off not sure yet which one it is, gonna open it up this week and find out. As far as I know the water pump is fine.

Keeper
Could you keep us informed on what you find out... Thank You.

Best of Luck on this task.

#10 ·
Parts should be available till 2022. .. 20 years... except for tins/wheels/frame.....

If engine parts... cheaper for a complete engine from e-pay... thousand plus to rebuild...

my opinion...

I can still get some parts for early 70's Hondas.
This is not true for either cars or motorcycles any more. There is no rule/law requiring a vehicle manufacturer to supply parts for any span other than production plus warranty period or at most 5 years past last production date

#11 ·
This is not true for either cars or motorcycles any more. There is no rule/law requiring a vehicle manufacturer to supply parts for any span other than production plus warranty period or at most 5 years past last production date
while this may/could be true..

last year I was able to buy parts FROM Honda for my 1992 lawn tractor... it went out of production in 1996.... and the parts were in stock in Texas.
water pump, timing belt, carburetor control valve, and gaskets for reassembly. I received them in 3 days by UPS.

it may not be required by LAW.. but Honda has been very good at keeping parts available ...

#13 ·
My pump failed at 26K miles, replaced under warranty.

Second water pump has held up for 75K. Saturday I noted a few drips of coolant lying under the pump in the garage likely from the pump's weep hole which is often a sign that the pump is giving up the ghost; but no drips noted in the past three days...

#14 ·
66,666 miles....05 vtx 1800f2.....wish i could show photo but ....trust me ..just went into garage and was startled when that number appeared.....all trouble free miles except for starter solinoid...battery and tires..... april 06 it had 3miles when took delivery.....all orginal except v/h big shots exhaust...xtreme revolution fairing....darkside rear..cooper zpt zeon 215/45/18....still get goose bumps when twisting the right wrist.... ......RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT BUT RIDE SAFE.....................ESKIMIO
I'd go around the corer just to get that off. Lol

#15 ·
My original water pump failed at around 24,000. I bought the 5 year warranty so it was taken care of at the dealer. I now have 45,000 and no leaks at this point, but it pays to check once you've had this happen.

#16 ·
our bikes have a water pump?and coolant?:dontknow:

#18 ·
I have 54,000... but knowing Honda.. most will go well past 100,000 miles....

my Honda lawn tractor.. went 23 years. before water pump went.. but it took the timing belt with it.
200 dollars and a couple of hours of work.. its back cutting the yard again...happened last year.

I have seen Honda car water pumps go 150,000 miles. silica Free anti-freeze is the key.
My daughters 3.5 Honda engine lost the rear main seal and water pump was leaking by 77,000 miles.

#19 ·
The reason I asked this question in the first place was because lately I "think" I smell a faint sweet anti-freeze odor when I get off the bike after a long run. There are no leaks that I can see and the "idiot" light has not come on. I suppose if I wanted to I could take the side cover off and take a look and I may if this smell persist.

#21 ·
My daughters 3.5 Honda engine lost the rear main seal and water pump was leaking by 77,000 miles.
No one make a perfect thing...

in 1975 while working at a chevy dealer.. a New Caprice came off the truck with a miss in the engine.. number 5 piston and connecting rod was missing..

my 88 Acura Legend (2.7 v6) went 250,000. except for oil, spark plugs, brakes and tires needed Nothing... water pump and the clutch were original as well.

it has to do with proper maintenance. type of products used, type of driving. weather extremes. LUCK.

my opinion.. retired auto mechanic 43 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.