Two questions regaurding 3x risers
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two questions regaurding 3x risers

Default Two questions regaurding 3x risers

Hey guy's and gal's,
    I just got my 3x phat risers and had two questions
    1. Can someone tell me what size the nut on top of the tree? I got my risers off before I realized I did not have a rench that was big enoff.
    2. What is the best manual to buy for someone like me that is not a mechanic but would like to do some of my own work. And can you tell me where to get it. OK that's three question.
    I was looking at Ed's write up on how to install the risers and I think it is something I can do with out to much hair pulling. Thanks for your help. Lea

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

you can actually get the service manual in a pdf here on the site. It will take some getting use to, but you will eventually understand it. If your wanting to wrench on your own, it just takes some studying. When I got my bike I could do nothing to it, I was just married and working as a cook. I knew there was no way I could pay the local stealer to do everything I wanted. So I began to study this site and the manual, found videos then dove in. I have not looked back since.

I think its a 3omm. I didnt have to remove the tree to install risers????
    We can walk our road together, If our goals are all the same. We can run alone and free, If we pursue a different aim.
    Let the truth of love be lighted. Let the love of truth shine clear. Sensibility, Armed with sense and liberty. With the heart and mind united in a single. Perfect. Sphere. Neal Peart

Heffly, Thanks for the info. I need to reroute the cables for the 3x risers or they will not work.I will go to Harbor Freight and see if I can get a 30mm or I might try Sears. Thanks for your help.

Default I have Phat Risers lll

Quote Originally Posted by lea785 View Post
    Hey guy's and gal's,
    I just got my 3x phat risers and had two questions
    1. Can someone tell me what size the nut on top of the tree? I got my risers off before I realized I did not have a rench that was big enoff.
    2. What is the best manual to buy for someone like me that is not a mechanic but would like to do some of my own work. And can you tell me where to get it. OK that's three question.
    I was looking at Ed's write up on how to install the risers and I think it is something I can do with out to much hair pulling. Thanks for your help. Lea
    You dont need to take off the tree to install the risers!!! I believe it a 14mm bolt under the tree that you can get to the top clamp remove the little plastic caps witha awl or a small sharp tool then it is a allen wrench to take tha bars off with. the cable can be rerouted behind the tree. You will need to do this any to make the cables fit behind the tree they will need to be moved forward slightly and a slight diffrent angle to the bar.

robero,
    Can you give me a little more help? I don't see a 14mm Bult. Are you talking about the bolts that hold the risers on? If so I know how to take them off. I don't understand how you get the cables infront of the tree without takeing it off. I'm not a mechanic so I don't always understand what people are trying to tell me. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Loosen the pinch bolts on the fork, remove the chromed 30mm center nut, pick the tree up off the forks, move the cables, reverse to put it back.
    05 1300R - sold, 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power, sporty mile eater
    05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speed cruising to rough dirt roads,
    IBA: SS1000, SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners

Thanks Enduro, I thought that was what I needed to do. I think it was your write up I was going by. I will get a rench on Monday. Thanks

If you have a smooth face adjustable, maybe 12", that will work, especially if the risers are not on to give you room. Can also use a socket if you have a 1/2" drive ratchet.
    05 1300R - sold, 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power, sporty mile eater
    05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speed cruising to rough dirt roads,
    IBA: SS1000, SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners

Default one way

P1020479.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
    Loosen the pinch bolts on the fork, remove the chromed 30mm center nut, pick the tree up off the forks, move the cables, reverse to put it back.
    I dont agree but do what you want. I did it by taking the cables where they attached to the brakes, clutch, accelerator and running them under the tree. Because you are going to need to move them anyway to make the cable fit leaving where they are with scoot works PHATlll risers their is just barely enough cable. Remember they raise the bars up 2 inches and back 5 inches. Their are those on this board that say I have the dimensions this backwards I dont. I dont mess with the pinch point on a tree if I dont need to it has alot to do with alignment. But to each their own
    Last edited by robero ruckmero; 03-26-2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: add picture

Hey all, well I did it!!!! Got the 3x risers on today. It only took about 90 minutes. The hardest part was getting the tree off. Good thing I have a rubber mallet.
    I want to thank all the people that gave me advice on how to do it. Captin-Kate aka Jan, you being a woman about my hight let me know they would work good for me. Enduro aka Ed, your write up was a BIG help. I would have taken it to the mechanic without it. Rebero, thanks for your input. I don't know how to get the cables off so I went with the write up. Hefly, Beriah. Thanks for your input also. I am going to try and find the manual tonight.
    I am planning on going to the tech session in Arkansas in a few weeks so maybe I will learn something.
    This board is the best. I will post picks when I get some. We have a big storm with hail on it's way so Bike is put away.
    Last edited by lea785; 03-28-2012 at 08:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.