Using tubes inside "tubeless" tires???
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using tubes inside "tubeless" tires???

Default Using tubes inside "tubeless" tires???

So this is just a general motorcycle question, not VTX specific, since it's for my wife's Virago XV535. She's got spoked wheels and hence has tubes in her tires. I'm looking to replace the tires with Shinko whitewalls but they say "tubeless". The question is.........is there a problem using tubes in "tubeless" tires? I'm sure this question has been asked already here on the forums and if so, someone can just point me to the thread that addresses it, otherwise I'd be interested in getting some useful input from you guys out there that are more knowledgable than me.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default No Problem

I've even used a M/C tube in a Car Tire on my VTX. Put 24k miles on it too.
    DARKSIDE '05 Magenta 1300S

can do tube in tubeless or tube. cannot go tubeless in tubed
    The New Bike.THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!!

wayne

Most of your tires now are or say tubless on the sides or tube.

I dont know if they even make a tube type only tire now days.

Anyone?

If you have a spoked rim, totaly need the tube. On a mag rim, no, not needed. Can you use one? Well, it's your bike but its not needed. That's why we have tubeless tires.
    Lost Soul ( Lee Jaderlund )

Proud Member of the Soggy Bottom Boyz Just hangin in the breeze

There are no issues with using a tube in a tubeless tire. My GS is spoked and I also questioned it. I contacted Metzeler and the response was that manufacturers want to reduce the number of products they offer and maintain so many tire sizes are offered only in tubeless, but that they are also perfectly compatible with tubes. Some sizes by some manufacturers still offer tube type tires but you don't have to seek out and use those tires.

This from a Metzeler document:

TUBE INFORMATION

NEVER reuse a tube. Motorcycle tubes flex and fatigue, always replace tires and tubes at the same time. Metzeler tubeless tires may be fitted with Metzeler or Pirelli tubes on standard TT(tube type) rims. Metzeler tube type tires should NEVER be put into service without a tube (Metzeler or Pirelli tube). Metzeler tube type tires may be fitted with tubes to tubeless rims.

Despite what it says I re-use my tubes 2 times.
    05 1300R - sold, 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power, sporty mile eater
    05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speed cruising to rough dirt roads,
    IBA: SS1000, SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners

wayne

I have use them 3 times, it just depends on what they look like. Look them over good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Soul View Post
    If you have a spoked rim, totaly need the tube. On a mag rim, no, not needed. Can you use one? Well, it's your bike but its not needed. That's why we have tubeless tires.

This is for a bike with spokes. I know that I need to use a tube, no question. The question was the tires I'm looking to put on say "tubeless" and I'm wondering if that's a problem.

Based on what everyone else said......it looks like I'm in good shape to move forward with these tires. Thanks guys!

The whitewall dunlaps say tube or tubeless so dont think you will have any problem using a tube in any tire that fits your bike
    2003 VTX1800S

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
    This is for a bike with spokes. I know that I need to use a tube, no question. The question was the tires I'm looking to put on say "tubeless" and I'm wondering if that's a problem.

Based on what everyone else said......it looks like I'm in good shape to move forward with these tires. Thanks guys!

Yes you are ok. I have done it twice on my bikes and have several friends who have also done it several times.

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. - P.J. O'Rourke

I'm really glad this is getting asked. Please let me ask another question along with this. Can you use tubes inside tubeless radial tires? I have been told you cannot use a tube inside a tubeless radial tire. I realize that may not have been the intent of the original question but I wanted to see what everyone says, if it makes any difference if it's bias ply or radial.

Quote Originally Posted by ReRide View Post
    I'm really glad this is getting asked. Please let me ask another question along with this. Can you use tubes inside tubeless radial tires? I have been told you cannot use a tube inside a tubeless radial tire. I realize that may not have been the intent of the original question but I wanted to see what everyone says, if it makes any difference if it's bias ply or radial.
    My GF ran a radial car tire (rear) dam near bald with a tube in it on her 1300S. Never had a problem. A funny aside; As she was wanting to replace that tire, I ordered her one form a local tire shop (I'm in Jersey, she's in Idaho). Apparently it is a difficult size to find. The tire that arrived was made in China and she was skeptical about using it. She returned it and I called a MC shop and had a MC rear tire installed for her. When they removed the old CT she noticed that it too, had been made in China. She thought that tire was great while it was in service. I know she felt both kinda silly, (about making a stink it was Chinese) and also very appreciative, so I never said a word. I had ridden her bike a bit and never thought there was anything inferior about the rear tire. In fact, it was one of the things that led to installing a CT on my own 1800.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw View Post

I had Metzlers on my 240 spoked bike and ran tubes!! YOU CAN DO IT!!
    2002 1800Reliable BlackX
    2003 1800 spoked240 RACINX (Sold)
    2002 1800C silver/maroon flames (sold)
    RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

I'm pretty sure my original stock Dunlops said 'tubeless' on the sidewall. I have spokes and the WWW I replaced the stock tires with are also Dunlops, only diff is the WWW, and they say 'tubeless' on them. I asked this question at the time, and the responses were all the same here as well as from the dealer, and that was it is no problem at all, and it was and is not.
    Last edited by dan3; 03-25-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Dan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.