Must sell my 2004 VTX 1300c, advice and suggestions needed.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Must sell my 2004 VTX 1300c, advice and suggestions needed.

Default Must sell my 2004 VTX 1300c, advice and suggestions needed.

Lower back issues are forcing me to give up my 2004 VTX 1300c. My doctor says it has to go.

I have sold cars before but never a bike.

My main concern is how to handle people wanting to "test drive"?

Not really comfortable turning people lose on a bike for many obvious reasons.

So how do you handle buyers wanting to drive?

Also any suggestions on how I should price this? I thought I would start with Craig's List.
    3,700 miles, always garaged, mint condition and stock.

Thanks in andvance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

i don't let any one test ride the bike. but if they get upset, i say cash in hand and you can ride it and do what you want with it.
    thats the only way to do it. i watched a freind let some one test ride his once, and he made it as far as the stop sign and ran it and got t-boned. needless to say my freind was out the money and had a wrecked scooter.

Test rides with the cash in your hand for the full asking price. If they are serious they will have cash for you and understand why.
    USN 1996-2000 STS3/SS

This question brings the Mayhem Allstate comercial to mind. Cash in hand and a paper signed by both parties stating very clearly that if any damage occurs the bike is the buyers responsibility,and all monies will be forfeited. Don't be concerned with the buyer. Cover your own hind end.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input guys! Not letting anyone on it without the cash in my paw was my inclination and preference.

I just wasn't sure what potential buyers would be expecting.

Thanks for confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Test rides with the cash in your hand for the full asking price. If they are serious they will have cash for you and understand why.
    Very sound advice. I agree.
    Proud Member <> The Original 11 <>

I can attest to this from the other side. I hadn't ridden in 30 years. I went to test drive a Kawasaki 450, the guy selling it was nice enough to let me take it out before I'd paid him.
    I dumped it.
    Broke it.
    Bought it.
    Took lessons.

Actually took lessons from the guy who sold it to me.
    Life can be really cool sometimes.

Check the 'Test Rider's' drivers license for motorcycle endorsement, write down all information and with what the others have said ... stand there and watch the 'test rider' go bye bye .. maybe give them a definate time frame for the ride or mileage. Specify "No Tire Kickers"..you'll see something like that on a few ads on craigslist.

Dumped a stealers bike right in his parking lot once --- new blacktop & post rain...he had told me to take it out on the road but I didn't..long story short version -- I bought it 2 hrs later after they fixed the bent peg & trashed the JCW windshield, was gonna buy it anyhow.

Good luck ...

Thanks again for all the good advice!
    Here are a couple of pics of my bike that I took for the Craigs List listing this afternoon.

Very nice scoot!! Wish you were closer, I'd let ya hold keys & title to my 1800 so I could do a test ride ...

Quote Originally Posted by rushhound View Post
    Lower back issues are forcing me to give up my 2004 VTX 1300c. My doctor says it has to go.

I have sold cars before but never a bike.

Also any suggestions on how I should price this? I thought I would start with Craig's List.

Thanks in andvance!
    You should at least consider the option of selling the doctor and keeping the bike

Quote Originally Posted by OregonVTX1800 View Post
    You should at least consider the option of selling the doctor and keeping the bike
    Yep, I was thinking the same thing this afternoon when I took it for a spin to go take the pics.

Sadly my L4 and L5 discs are jacked up and riding the bike gives me fits in the form of stinging pain down my leg. Getting old sucks!
    3,700 miles and always kept in a garage. Not a scratch on it.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing this afternoon when I took it for a spin to go take the pics.

Sadly my L4 and L5 discs are jacked up and riding the bike gives me fits in the form of stinging pain down my leg. Getting old sucks!
    3,700 miles and always kept in a garage. Not a scratch on it.
    Sorry to hear, man. At least it looks awesome and it's the right time of year. Should be an easy sell. I'm in the auto biz, our company takes a photocopy of a person's driver license before they go on a test drive. If you have a all-in-one printer that can make copies, it's not a bad idea. That way, if they go out and get stupid on your ride and someone gets the plate, you can prove who was on it later. If insurance comes into play ever, you can also prove you checked they had a valid license and an endorsement. Just a little CYA.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonVTX1800 View Post
    Sorry to hear, man. At least it looks awesome and it's the right time of year. Should be an easy sell. I'm in the auto biz, our company takes a photocopy of a person's driver license before they go on a test drive. If you have a all-in-one printer that can make copies, it's not a bad idea. That way, if they go out and get stupid on your ride and someone gets the plate, you can prove who was on it later. If insurance comes into play ever, you can also prove you checked they had a valid license and an endorsement. Just a little CYA.
    I do have an OIA and that is a good idea about copying the license. I hope to avoid the test drive but if someone shows up with the cash in hand and and just has to take it for the spin I could do that.

And yes I figured this was the perfect time of year to sell as my ride this afternoon confirmed.
    The roads were wrapped up with bikes this afternoon.

how about getting a better seat AND a new doctor ??
    texasmike
    1300c 8 degree rake, cobra pipes, c&c seat, darkside and lots more

Thanks in andvance!
    You answered your own questions.

Then don't let them. It's your bike and your sale.

Sounds good.

I think you have it covered.
    http://vnvmcia.com

"You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here. And whether you can hear it or not, the universe is laughing behind your back." -- Deteriorata by Tony Hendra

best wishes on a good sale! what's interesting is that almost one year ago, I bought an 04 1300C with barely 3000 miles on it also from out of state.
    '04 VTX 1300C. Hypercharger; Kury grips; 3 sets of Kury Zombie pegs; V & H Big Shots. I'm on my second VTX!

Get something you like, and ride the hell out of it!

STOP!!!!!!!!
    DON'T SELL!!!!!!!!

You are in MS. Go over on I-20 to Birmingham.
    See Dr. Thomas Staner.

www.brainspine.com

I had L4/L5/S1 completely hosed.
    He did micro surgery on me and it has been a success.
    That was in June 2006.
    NO PROBLEMS until April 4th, 2011 when a very large drunk lady wanted a "friend" and tackled me for a hug on a business trip in TN in from of a convienence store.

Still it is much better than before the surgery.
    I was losing the use of my leg totally until Dr. Staner fixed it.
    He has a very high success rate with low rates of requiring subsequent surgeries.

If you are really into riding, don't give it up. But with less than 4k miles on an 8 year old bike, you may just not be that into it.
    Just my honest thoughts.
    Even if you sell, check out Dr. Staner at Graystone Neuroscience.
    I had the 2 best surgeons in the south list him as their second choice. Of course they listed each other first.
    Or got to John Craddick. Evan Zieger died almost 2 years ago in a plane crash in the gulf. (They "were" two of the best at the time)

Be warned if you got to Staner, He is a strange guy with a dry demeanor.
    John Craddick is the best but he is kind of a jerk if you aren't on his "social" level. Decent to me but I have seen him treat others in a haughty manner.
    2005 VTX1300C Roadburner Double Eagles ,
    Batwing, BadX double decker 1800C seat and lots of chrome. Riding DS Yokohama Avid S 205/70-15 with Dynabeads......Smooth Ridin
    ' VTXOA Inmate#37626
    2012 Victory Vision- Fits the Wife's butt just right! Plus a few others. I need to clean out

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.