Honda VTX Forum banner

Needing to fill the tank quicker

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  surfshrink 
#1 ·
My odometer has always reached about 160 before needing reserve. The last few weeks, I'm at about 115. The mileage remains about 39-40 mpg. It's like I have a smaller tank. Any thoughts?

#5 ·
Maybe you have two gallons of water in your tank....
You should drain some out of the "Reserve" setting and see what you have..

If you refill with 3.6 or 3.7 gallons at the switchover to reserve, then there is a MPG hit from
160 miles to 115 miles...

#7 ·
The difference between main and reserve is the height of their tube in the tank. Reserve draws from the bottom and the main from higher up. If you have floating debris in the tank the main might be getting partially or fully clogged causing it to sputter making you think you are running out and you switch to reserve. No mention of the gallons you are using and if you are talking about tank capacity and mpg that is a critical piece of information.

How many gallons are you using to get to reserve? If you are getting 40 mpg and going 115 miles that means a fill after reserve is about 2.8 gallons. If this is true then I think the main tube getting clogged is a possibility.

#8 ·
The difference between main and reserve is the height of their tube in the tank. Reserve draws from the bottom and the main from higher up. If you have floating debris in the tank the main might be getting partially or fully clogged causing it to sputter making you think you are running out and you switch to reserve. No mention of the gallons you are using and if you are talking about tank capacity and mpg that is a critical piece of information.

How many gallons are you using to get to reserve? If you are getting 40 mpg and going 115 miles that means a fill after reserve is about 2.8 gallons. If this is true then I think the main tube getting clogged is a possibility.
that's what i was thinking
i would have 1.gal jug in a bag ride till reserve
switch to reserve and keep on riding , now if you get 60 - 70 miles on reserve your main is plugged up

#10 ·
It could be the valves and/or plugs causing the bad mileage. When was the last time the valves were adjusted and the plugs regapped or replaced?

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The mileage per gallon is the same as it's always been. I'll try running out the reserve. I put new plugs in around May. Really hadn't had an issue until just recently. 65,000+ miles on the bike and have never really had any issues. Is there a good way to clean out the main tube in the tank if that's the problem?

#14 ·
Is there a good way to clean out the main tube in the tank if that's the problem?
Unscrew the petcock. Couldn't remember how the filter was setup. Not sure if they are drawing thru the same filter or not, looks like it is the same. If it is the same not likely the main tube is affected and not the reserve. I've looked at mine with a borescope, so if you know anyone that has a scope that is an option.

#15 ·
Unscrew the petcock. Couldn't remember how the filter was setup. Not sure if they are drawing thru the same filter or not, looks like it is the same. If it is the same not likely the main tube is affected and not the reserve. I've looked at mine with a borescope, so if you know anyone that has a scope that is an option.

I'll have to talk to my urologist. Thanks for the petcock diagram. I'll try to look at it tonight after work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.