what to look for when purchasing used bikes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what to look for when purchasing used bikes

Default what to look for when purchasing used bikes

So, the wife bought a 750 shadow at the same time I bought my X back in 07 (my x was a leftover 06) and last fall she sold it back to the dealer, she decided it was too small, not fun to ride and never rode it, she broke even on it, no big deal. Now spring is springing and she has decided she wants another bike, as finances go we can't afford her a new bike, but our local dealer has a 2004 1300c with 4300 miles on it, and a few extras, right at her price range of $5000.

Question is: I'm very familiar with the VTX 1300c, been here since I bought mine in 2007, but I know what I've done to mine and obviously I've never bought a used one before, I'm going to go test ride this for the wife tonight or tomorrow, so could you guys maybe give me a little input on what to look for? I know about the steering head and tires and all the basic things like check the oil or does it have any dents or anything blatently wrong, but is there something else deeper I should be watching for?

also can some of you more knowledgeable folks enlighten me as to the differences if any between an 04 and an 06, both are black c models, hopefully we add this to the stable and we'll bee a 2 X household
    How does it profit a man to gain the world, but forfeit his soul?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

I don't think there is a difference between the two, but I could be mistaken. With 4300 miles you might want to makes sure the carb is clean (no varnish). See if you can
    get any service records. Other than that, change the oil and final oil and enjoy the spring\summer. I'm sure others will have more advice. Oh yea, some were recalled for the carb
    diaphram, wouldn't hurt to ask about it. It was a free fix and only took about 20 minutes.
    Last edited by arebee; 03-29-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    2007 1300R Titanium, de-badged, Coyote gas cap hinge, National Cycle highway bars, progressive 412, loud ass Stebel horn, Batwing, Harley Aux Lights, Rivco solo rack and some Pony paint..

I would look for any signs at all that it had been laid down as I still think that played into the early demise (or someone put something in the engine while I wasnt looking) there are a couple dimples in the L front of the tank I didnt give much thought to untill the engine craped out.
    a diffrent world cannot be built by indiffrent people.

In the Heart Of Dixie in Montgomery, alabama, home of Hank williams and Nat King cole

Default Make sure it has Motorcycle tires.......

Quote Originally Posted by big jake View Post
    So, the wife bought a 750 shadow at the same time I bought my X back in 07 (my x was a leftover 06) and last fall she sold it back to the dealer, she decided it was too small, not fun to ride and never rode it, she broke even on it, no big deal. Now spring is springing and she has decided she wants another bike, as finances go we can't afford her a new bike, but our local dealer has a 2004 1300c with 4300 miles on it, and a few extras, right at her price range of $5000.

Question is: I'm very familiar with the VTX 1300c, been here since I bought mine in 2007, but I know what I've done to mine and obviously I've never bought a used one before, I'm going to go test ride this for the wife tonight or tomorrow, so could you guys maybe give me a little input on what to look for? I know about the steering head and tires and all the basic things like check the oil or does it have any dents or anything blatently wrong, but is there something else deeper I should be watching for?

also can some of you more knowledgeable folks enlighten me as to the differences if any between an 04 and an 06, both are black c models, hopefully we add this to the stable and we'll bee a 2 X household
    He..He! Good luck
    Blurbn

Dixie Rose

Price seems a tad high for the year to me. here's an 06 with 5K miles for $4,600 http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/2927952002.html
    2011 HD RGU (Sweeeeet), Rineharts (true dual), Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, Stage 1 intake
    2005 VTX 1300C (Gone May 2010)
    2003 VTX 1800C, Kuryakyn H-Charger, PCIII, V&H Bigshots (where'd the baffles go), backrest, and Arlen Ness Mirrors. (Gone Mar 2012)
    Various years, makes, and colors of 50-850cc bikes since 1967
    BLACK - The FASTER color.
    PGR Member

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.