Honda VTX Forum banner

Strange exhaust noise at idle

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Klondikejim 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 2006 honda vex 1300 with V&H Big Shot Pipes. I get a strange noise from the top pipe at an idle. Baffles & chrome guard appear to be tight. Anyone have any ideas?

#2 ·
did you check where it bolts to the engine? does it appear to be rubbing or touching anything? how long has it been happening? are your gaskets in good shape?

#3 ·
Yes. I first removed the entire exhaust. Gasket looked good . I checked baffle screw& hose clamps that hold guard down. I just bought the bike. It came with V&H big shot exhaust. I don't know if this has had the pair valve mod either. It's only at an idle after warming up. It's also unaffected by the clutch. Any ideas

#4 ·
Yes. I first removed the entire exhaust. Gasket looked good . I checked baffle screw& hose clamps that hold guard down. I just bought the bike. It came with V&H big shot exhaust. I don't know if this has had the pair valve mod either. It's only at an idle after warming up. It's also unaffected by the clutch. Any ideas
When you reinstalled the xhaust did you replace the gaskets?

Can you describe the noise?

#5 ·
Is it an external rattle, rub, tapping, etc? Or is it the sound coming out of the exhaust just sounding weird? When mine sits idling and it starts to warm up, it starts sounding as if the exhaust was closed off into another chamber or something (that is the only way I can think to describe it.. lol). I always assumed that was when the pair system starts affecting it. Maybe what you're hearing?

#6 ·
A lot of good responses. (Thank you) I,ll try to answer the best I can. I did not replace the gasket. I have noticed a little bit of back fire since removing the exhaust & plan to replace the gasket. However, I don't think that's the problem since the noise was there prior to me removing the exhaust. The sound is a low pitch Errrrrrrrr. Almost rubbing sound. I took a broom handle & stuck it up the exhaust which didn't seem to effect it. I checked all mounting bolts and hose clamps for the heat shield. I did notice the clamps would tighten, but would strip if turned too tight. This occurs when engine warms up. If I hold a rag on the end of the exhaust (plugging it up). The noise appears to stop. Any ideas

#7 ·
Could be from the PAIR valve...
Info to remove in the link below.
I kept the OEM reed valve covers and plugged the hose connection with a set screw.
The reed valve covers are under the cylinder head covers, so it is
out of sight. Many buy the dimpled pretty reed valve covers.
Sometimes when the PAIR is disabled but still connected
then condensation of air has caused mysterious sounds.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/engine/vtx-1300-desmog/

#8 ·
how many miles since the last valve adjustment. it could be the clearance changing after warm up

#10 ·
I just spoke to prior owner. Pipes are brand new & this noise was there from day one. Bike was Dyno,d and jetted properly . This may just be a combination of the vtx & Big Shot pipes. Thanks to everyone for all the posts. Kj.
sounds like it's time to ride on then:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.