Honda VTX Forum banner

getting older

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  VTXx2 
#1 ·
Like the title says, I'm getting older. Last few years I have been living my (mostly anyway) childhood dreams. Been building different bikes. Trying things different.
I had a wreck on my super glide drag bike. I'm 64 years young. The front wheel locked up as I was changing gears at 125 mph, the front wheel locked up. I held it to around 110 but it was too much, it was pulling way too hard to the left. Hit the asphalt at 110. Took me a spell to heal. I have been riding since 1963. Wore a bunch of em out, messed some up but most of all I wouldn't change a thing. it has been a good run.
I still ride the drag bike but gave up racing. I figure a whole year of winning ought to satisfy my this. I went every month at least.
Any how, I have changed because of it. No, I have not become afraid to ride, I'm still good. 2 wheels have become a challenge when loaded, and it take less weight for me to feel it's loaded.

I built a hot rod trike out of the drag bike. Man this thing is a ball. Spyders aren't nothing for this thing. But it is rough riding so the wife can't ride it with me.
So I shopped around and found this.

This thing is the cat's meow. I have no stress when riding it, no fatigue when finished riding, handles like a dream, and riding like my recliner. I think I will be getting around 340 miles to both tanks.
I am really digging this thing.

See less See more
#4 ·
About all I can say for getting older is it beats the alternative.
One of my buddies has two GW trikes, one black and one white. They're nice, but I think when and if the X gets to be too much for me I will get a Shadow or some such; lighter bike. I don't do marathon rides anyway. 66 and counting.

#6 ·
Guess I'm the youngster here at 62. lol

#7 ·
Getting a Goldwing doesn't mean you're old. Getting a Goldwing Trike doesn't give it away either. But when you use phrase's like "the cat's meow"...well ...damn you're old.

So fire that buggy up and let's go for a ride, you know I'm ready when you are.

#8 ·
Ride On, Ride Safe, Ride Often, etc and repeat...

can someone "Hang Off" on that thing? I love twisties....

and if/when that day comes for me.. I hope they make a lean-able trike.. and I could afford it.

62, and counting... and refuse to be Slow.

#10 ·
Nice very nice... I am 61 and not ready for a trike yet... but I see one in my future.

#12 ·
I'll be 64 in Nov. Does that mean I'm old too? Hell yeah, baby! Some days I really feel it too.

#13 ·
Okay, 1 more ole phart checking in! Like what's been said, feel as if I'm 18 again when cranking the 1800 thru the twisties ... reality returns when getting off at the next stop. Will be 66 in just a couple months, but not looking for 3 wheels just yet. When the day comes, I'll most likely look at converting the X and hanging on to it a few more years.

For those who wonder, don't worry about a trike slowing down thru the twisties ... they're faster there than a 2 wheeler and no leaning required!

just remember the most important part ~ We HAVE been there and DONE that!! :mrgreen:

#14 ·
It is a Roadsmith 2014 kit. It's the new version.

Remember I am a DAV, so all the war wounds has really caught up with me.
Ask Wayne I'm not afraid to twist the throttle twist or curves.
When riding I am good but when I get off I hurt like crazy.
Yes, I have 2 lighter bikes, a super glide @580 lbs wet and a wide glide @ 560 lbs.

My knees are shot now. I wil;l say this if you haven't rode one of the newer trikes you don't know what your missing.
Thank you for the compliments.

#16 ·
I don't even want my wife to see those trikes EXIST or I'd have to have one for the 4X a year she rides with me :rolleyes:

And ALL you guys are young, one of my best friends father is farm stock, lean and healthy as they come. Just came off a GoldWing as it was getting heavy and bought himself a Star 1300. Rides as well as any of us I'm thinking.....he's 86 :thumbup:

#17 ·
And ALL you guys are young, one of my best friends father is farm stock, lean and healthy as they come. Just came off a GoldWing as it was getting heavy and bought himself a Star 1300. Rides as well as any of us I'm thinking.....he's 86 :thumbup:
I had a friend like that... Walter K..... passed away at 87.. he rode his beloved BMW R100RS a week before he passed.. and rode 8,000 miles that year.
Old, stubborn, German, Master Machinist and tool and die maker. Great back road Rider. and got me started in the love of Twisties... R.I.P. Walter.

#18 ·
You are all inspirational in your love for riding regardless of age or health:firstplace:

#19 ·
VTX 1800 triked

After a horrible wreck on my VTX 1800 and age 66 I found I could not comfortably hold her up any longer. So after 2 knee replacements I had Zook trike my VTX with a Champion kit and install a 6 degree rake and now I can see riding for several more years. She still a plenty of power to play with.

Attachments

#21 ·
VTXx2 that is a sweet ride you got there.
I test rode a hd triglid which is a Roadsmith but I did not like it. The triglide kit is not the same as the Roadsmith trike conversion is. I then test rode a 2008 roadsmith goldwing boy what a difference. Any one that knows me knows I like Harley's a lot. There were too much difference between the 2 so I went with the GW. Not to mention I got a deal on it. I had planned triking my CVO Street Glide but after comparing prices I bought one that had been done. It cost me around $3,000 more to add the trike (outright) and have my CVO triked.

Lets ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.