Intercom?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intercom?

Default Intercom?

I've been reading and searching for a couple months now and still have not found what I am looking for.

I just want a simple intercom for me and my backseat. No phone/radio/GPS/transporter or anything. We just want to be able to talk to each other.

Can someone give me some ideas? Thanks!
    Semper Fi 1968-1972

2009 1300C with stuff added

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

My wife and I ride with this set from Scala Cardo. It is the Q2 Multi set. We ride separate bikes. I realize you ride 2-up. The range is maybe 1/4 mile, so rider to passenger will always get good reception. It can be either voice activated, or push a button on small headset attached to helmet. Volume controls are nice and very effective. It has noise cancelling and auto sound level. This means that when there is no ambient noise the volume is very low, sounds like a whisper in the headset. At speed or pipes, the volume automatically increases in the headset. Very effective. Love the headset. I don't use any of the radio music etc options. Love my Cardo Q2 Multi-set. The G4 comes with stereo this and that etc. For me not important.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=cardo+scala&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2053593757807448378&sa=X&ei=I4t3T7e UBavKiAKGiMinDg&ved=0CHkQ8wIwAg
    Last edited by mightywarrior72; 03-31-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    The earlier I get behind, the longer I will have to try and catch up.
    It doesn't take me all day to get nothing done; I can get nothing done by break time.

Thank you. Any other ideas? I wouldn't mind if it was wired instead of Bluetooth......
    Semper Fi 1968-1972

2002 1800R, Work still in progress.

If you don't mind them being wired. I have an old set of Baehr comms, actually enough stuff to set up 2 bikes, one is a dual unit, and the other is a single, the dual has been installed and used on my bike, the sound quality was awesome...but hated the cables being connected to the helmet when there were bluetooth systems available, I would sell them cheap have been in a drawer for like 3 years since I bought my scala Q2's. The single unit can actually be setup for a passenger as well and has never been installed...

They are a full duplex system so both microphones and speakers are on at the same time when you are talking, voice activated, all around an awesome system, paid over 500 bucks when I bought it all new.

the units are also able to talk bike to bike with a cable add on and frs radios, would be half duplex though.

Speaker and mic setup for 3 helmets, but one of the mic's is missing the foam around it.

I mounted the main unit under the seat and pulled the wires out along the fender struts.

50 bucks shipped for everything I have in the box.

Paul
    Last edited by TeXasXrider; 04-05-2012 at 12:53 AM.
    2003 1300S, Cobra speedster longs, ultimate seat, crash bars, leatherlyke bags windshield
    Navy Vet 1989-1998
    Life is only a test!

Quote Originally Posted by TeXasXrider View Post
    If you don't mind them being wired. I have an old set of Baehr comms, actually enough stuff to set up 2 bikes, one is a dual unit, and the other is a single, the dual has been installed and used on my bike, the sound quality was awesome...but hated the cables being connected to the helmet when there were bluetooth systems available, I would sell them cheap have been in a drawer for like 3 years since I bought my scala Q2's. The single unit can actually be setup for a passenger as well and has never been installed...

They are a full duplex system so both microphones and speakers are on at the same time when you are talking, voice activated, all around an awesome system, paid over 500 bucks when I bought it all new.

the units are also able to talk bike to bike with a cable add on and frs radios, would be half duplex though.

Speaker and mic setup for 3 helmets, but one of the mic's is missing the foam around it.

I mounted the main unit under the seat and pulled the wires out along the fender struts.

Paul
    Paul: That is a great deal. I think I will go with the Blue Tooth as well though. Thank you.
    Semper Fi 1968-1972

You won't be sorry...the scala Q2's we have are fantastic, we use them on our street bikes and our 4 wheelers when we are trail riding.
    2003 1300S, Cobra speedster longs, ultimate seat, crash bars, leatherlyke bags windshield
    Navy Vet 1989-1998
    Life is only a test!

I have been looking at the G4's and well as the Sena SMH-10. Wife and I ride separate. I like the range of the G4 (at least per the specs) but it seems that the jog dial on the SMH-10 would be easier when riding with gloves, especially thicker gloves when the weather is still cold. Any issue with the Q2 (or G4) and using gloves? Is the intercom voice activated or do you have to press buttons? And what about 2-way communication...does one person have to completely stop talking for the other to speak or can you talk over the other person. I've been going back and forth over this for a few months and just cannot make up my mind. Saw both units at the Chicago MC show and really like the Sena. But it seems that more use the Scala. Need to pull the trigger one of these days.
    2006 Black/Silver 1800R2, V&H Big Shots, Kury ISO grips, Ultimate Big Boy, Peaceful Cruisin' Bib,
    Mustang hard bags with Edge brackets, HDL shield, 3" Headlight Extension, Progressive springs and 440HD shocks, Metzler 880's, Stebel

Senior Member Highplainsdrifter's Avatar

The buttons are fairly well defined on the Scala and usable with thick gloves, maybe not perfect but usable. The intercom conversations are full duplex but after long periods of silence you may have to tap the A button. The directions to the Scala are simple to understand and use. The units work well even at the 1.1 mile limit. As a I tell everyone, I mp3 from my XM radio to the Scala, blue tooth the Scala to my phone or gps and intercom with no issues. The Scala G4 powerset comes in a great package set and again everything works as advertised. Good Luck

2007 1800T, VTX Exhaust, XM radio, Mustang Seat, Woody's Fairing, Tsukayu Bags

I use the Sena's. I researched at length as well as questioned shops that had all different brands. Sena's were on top by all that has used them and other brands.

My wife rides on her own bike and my daughter rides with me. All 3 talk at will. You say you don't want the music and such but having that option is a good thing.

I have mine sync'd with my phone, my wife to hers and my daughter to her own. All for music. It all works flawlessly. Battery life is outstanding, sound quality is great. No wind noise when used with no windscreen and VERY quiet with one.

My wife's bike now has a HD touring National Cycles windscreen. Without lowers she got updraft wind that gave constant wind noise through the mic (again they were quiet with no windscreen). I put on their lowers and they are perfect again.

They are so impressive I got their ski helmet headsets too. Great company and products.

They come with every charge option available. USB, wall 110v, and cig lighter. I have yet to need to charge then except overnight after a full day of riding. Haven't had one die yet either.
    2003 VTX1800C, Orange.All kinds of stuff, DARKSIDE BABY!! 2012 Bushtec (Color Matched to the VTX)

2012 Arlen Ness Victory Vision (click on link to see more). Had to be orange too!!

Highplainsdrifter...Thank you for the information. It was very informative. Everything I hear about this unit is fantastic. I think I need to try with gloves and see how it feels.

Mike...that is actually the one I was leaning towards. Biggest concern was intercom range. When riding solo, I almost always listen to music so the sound quality is important. How do you find the intercom range? I know it is about 50% that of the Scala. However, when riding with 2 or 3 people, I cannot see where we would get separated by more than a 1/2 mile. Also, is the intercom voice activated or do you need to hit the jog dial to initiate the conversation? Lastly, is it full duplex where you can talk over each other?

Thanks both of you for the information.
    2006 Black/Silver 1800R2, V&H Big Shots, Kury ISO grips, Ultimate Big Boy, Peaceful Cruisin' Bib,
    Mustang hard bags with Edge brackets, HDL shield, 3" Headlight Extension, Progressive springs and 440HD shocks, Metzler 880's, Stebel

Quote Originally Posted by BG-Pete View Post
    Mike...that is actually the one I was leaning towards. Biggest concern was intercom range. When riding solo, I almost always listen to music so the sound quality is important. How do you find the intercom range? I know it is about 50% that of the Scala. However, when riding with 2 or 3 people, I cannot see where we would get separated by more than a 1/2 mile. Also, is the intercom voice activated or do you need to hit the jog dial to initiate the conversation? Lastly, is it full duplex where you can talk over each other?

Thanks both of you for the information.
    They say it's 900 meters. I say that's pretty accurate....without hills and lots of houses between the units.

They just released a new software version that allows VOX actuated intercom. It works well if the mic is protected. Blow into it, it turns on the last intercom it was connected to. After 20 secs it shuts down and does back to whatever you were doing (listening to music).

I think the music quality is quite well. I installed my speakers on very large washers to position the speakers close, but not touching, my ears. I think that helps. Granted, they aren't like in-ear buds but good considering. I've had J&M stuff on my wings in the past and there don't compare. My helmets are 10 year old matching the bike. I would imagine that newer sound insulated helmets would make them better still.

Again, they are quite good.

Full duplex. My daughter and I play games and sing together all at the same time. Even when 3 of us are connected it's talk at any time. Like in person really.

There is ZERO side tone for your own voice so unless someone talks back, you really don't know your are connected to anyone. I like to hear myself (even at work talking to airplanes) - easy guys!. It lets me know it's going out and it keeps me from talking too loud so that's one personal item I wish was use selectable or adjustable.
    2003 VTX1800C, Orange.All kinds of stuff, DARKSIDE BABY!! 2012 Bushtec (Color Matched to the VTX)

2012 Arlen Ness Victory Vision (click on link to see more). Had to be orange too!!

Sena now has a setup for half helmets.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

I rarely touch my scala once it is turned on, and with the right button sequence you can make them stay connected constantly, so they don't drop out if you do not tlk for a couple of minutes, does drain the battery a little quicker, but have had them on 8 hours in a day and lots of talking before they died.
    Navy Vet 1989-1998
    Life is only a test!

I can see the debates coming

Default I use the Motocomm wired system.........

I tried the wireless crap, I went with the BT Multi Interphone. Supposedly 7 hours talk time, cellphone capable, mp3 capable. They work great for about 2 hours then the frickin batteries go dead. We took a trip from Northern Indiana to Southern Indiana (about 6 hours) we left home with batteries fully charged, and before we made it to Indianapolis, they had gone dead and we could no longer talk to each other. I ditched that POS and bought the MotoComm Riderlink ST-1, and have been pretty happy with that. I don't need the cellphone crap or the bluetooth, all we wanted to do was be able to talk on an extended ride. AND, if the batteries failed, have something that was readily available (like AA batteries at ANY gas station). Other than the cables to the radio being WAY too thick and heavy (don't exactly understand why), and the fact that it comes with a nifty FM radio (without a frickin display). It is not really a bad system. We can talk easily at over 70mph (i have full face, she has 3/4). If the damn batteries die, we can buy new ones. The radio is pretty much useless without a station indicator, this to me was completely and utterly stupid to design a radio with no display. But I have an FM stereo on the bike if we want radio.

Just a word of warning about these great "rechargable" headsets. They work fine for a little while, but what are you going to do with it when those rechargable batteries die or get so weak they no longer hold a charge? I have yet to see any that you can replace, so what do you do? Throw your $200 intercom away and buy a new one?? NOT ME BROTHER. It is something to think about. That Hi tech crap can be nice for a little while. We rode on another 6 hour ride last summer with the MotoComm, and the AA batteries lasted us the entire trip down and back. That is what I am talkin about.

This MotoComm does the job, and you get used to the wires once you ride with it. It comes with a TON of cables, two headsets, everything you need really if all you want to do is talk to each other. It is full duplex, so you can just speak and it turns on no push to talk stuff either.

Friend of mine has the NADY system (cheap, like $100) and that also is wired, they don't last as long as some of the more expensive ones, but the wires are not as thick and heavy as the Motocomm, and once again, the NADY has AA batteries you can replace. He swears by the Nady System, even though he is on his 3rd one, he is still only right now at the price he would have paid for one expensive set, that may not be working after 1 year.

Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by TeXasXrider View Post

Paul

Hey Paul do you still have this for sale?

When you hook up a MP3 player do both riders have to listen to the same MP3 player or can each rider have there own?

Thank You
    Daryl

2003 1800C

I have the Scala G4 headsets, my wife and I will not go anywhere without them!! My bike had the JM intercom system on it when we bought it, they said they liked it also but I already had the G4s headsets so the JM system I am selling. I will let the whole system go for $100.

I've been looking into the iasus gp3x2 throat mic system but that's because I don't wear anything on my head until it's cold out.

http://www.iasus-concepts.com/nt/gp-3.htm
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...us-throat-mic/
    2008 VTX 1800F Spec 3 & 2007 Yamaha R6

Quote Originally Posted by baconmaker View Post
    I have the Scala G4 headsets, my wife and I will not go anywhere without them!! My bike had the JM intercom system on it when we bought it, they said they liked it also but I already had the G4s headsets so the JM system I am selling. I will let the whole system go for $100.
    Is the JM just an intercom or is it CB radio as well?
    Do you have 2 complete headsets including cables?

2003 1800C

Quote Originally Posted by daryls View Post
    Is the JM just an intercom or is it CB radio as well?
    Do you have 2 complete headsets including cables?
    I think the system is sold, I am waiting for the money to come thru. The system is a

intercom as well as a CB, I do not have the headsets with it---everything else is with.
    The system IS sold
    Last edited by baconmaker; 08-07-2012 at 10:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.