Honda VTX Forum banner

Brake Pad wear question 2003 1800 C

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Jon's1800VTXC 
#1 ·
:confused: Heard a sound I didn't like today and it was my rear pad, metal on metal, rubbing. These are original pads and the bike is just short of 11K. Front pads are fine with plenty left. Got some new pads for the rear and put them on...but see the pics. The inside pad has worn at quite an angle. The outside pad wore perfect. I have checked everything I know to check and have no idea why this pad wore at an angle. Any ideas?Nothing is loose. Thanks in advance for any help given...I love this site.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Just replaced mine yesterday. Old ones (9100 miles) had the same uneven wear I think it's the nature of the beast. However to reduce this I pulled the caliper apart and replaced the rubber O-rings, cleaned and lubed (just the top half above the rings) the pistons and inner wall with a light film of lithium grease. One piston didn't feel like it was moving freely. Don't forget to also lube the bolt that goes through the holes in the pads (should do this part on regular basis). Hope this helps

P.S. You might not need to replace the O-rings, my old ones looked fine.

#4 ·
Pad wear indicator does not show wear, is too far away from the disk to make
the squeal when pad is nearly worn out.

The top pad has uneven wear, the bottom wore nicely.

Was the top pad on the caliper or on the piston?

#5 ·
at the ends of the brake pads.. the area that holds/guides the pad... any dirt/rust/junk/dried grease... will cause this problem...

and this happens most of the time on LOW mileage bikes.... should have the brakes disassembled every 2 to 3 years and cleaned/lubed....
mainly if you ride less than 4,000 miles per year..

my brakes.. original front and rear.. 55,000 miles and I almost Never ride on the freeways.... but I do clean and lube my brakes every 3 years.

should be standard maintenance ..

#6 ·
Im bad about using too much rear brake, just changed out and this last set got only 19k, I don't mind buying new pads ,but admit I need to learn some new skills :dontknow:.......over on the GL board guy was complaining that he just replaced his 3rd set at 100K....:mrgreen:

#7 ·
at the ends of the brake pads.. the area that holds/guides the pad... any dirt/rust/junk/dried grease... will cause this problem...

and this happens most of the time on LOW mileage bikes.... should have the brakes disassembled every 2 to 3 years and cleaned/lubed....
mainly if you ride less than 4,000 miles per year..

my brakes.. original front and rear.. 55,000 miles and I almost Never ride on the freeways.... but I do clean and lube my brakes every 3 years.

should be standard maintenance ..
True dat. I keep the whole braking system clean as possible.

What I'd like to do is defeat the linked braking so they work independently.

any yeas or nays on this?

#8 ·
True dat. I keep the whole braking system clean as possible.

What I'd like to do is defeat the linked braking so they work independently.

any yeas or nays on this?
Nay! The LBS on this bike works very well. Nicely proportioned. The front brake IS separate (hand lever only). Jimbo

#9 ·
Nay, I'd leave the linked system it works very well

To the original write up, it appears you have something funny going on with your brakes. I'd take the sliders apart and clean and lube everything with disc brake grease so it slides properly on the pins

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.