Squeeky Brakes
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Squeeky Brakes

  1. #1
    Senior Member Abbotdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sioux City, IA
    Posts
    514

    Default Squeeky Brakes

    My 1800n only has about 700 miles on it and I am hearing a squeek when I apply my brakes. Does not matter if I use the lever or the pedal. Being a basically new bike I am kind of concerned. My bike goes in for its first service on Saturday so I am going to have them check the brakes out while its there.

    Just wondering if you guys have any ideas?

    Thanks in advance.

    Yes, I did a search for squeeky brakes and didnt find the answer I wanted...

    2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Ironhorse17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    GATINEAU QC
    Posts
    760

    Default

    How long has it been sitting out of the crate?

  4. #3
    Senior Member smoke8169's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hutto,Tx
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Mine did that. I just had to grease the slide pin on the caliper to make sure it was releasing all the way
    fixed it good as new.
    . DARKSIDE MHE 205/65/16. Everything else is cookies!

  5. #4
    Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    St Charles, IL.
    Posts
    56,873

    Default

    Your pedal actuates the center pistons of the front calipers, so this is why you hear them with both the pedal and the lever. 700 miles, have you bedded the new pads into the rotors good yet?
    http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

    DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Did you just mis spell squeaky? Just BS'ing, it's all good!!!!!!

    1998 Shadow ACE - Finished rebuild/update Dec '12
    2004 VTX 1800C, Woody fairing w/9" shield, Tsukayu hard bags, Kenwood KDC-X496, Polk DXi 525, Progressive fork springs, ME880, custom lowers, Rivco risers.

  7. #6
    Senior Member DrRadar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southside, AL
    Posts
    3,863

    Default

    700 miles since Nov 2008?

    I'd sqeak too, if I wasn't getting ridden more than that.
    2005 VTX1300C Roadburner Double Eagles ,
    Batwing, BadX double decker 1800C seat and lots of chrome. Riding DS Yokohama Avid S 205/70-15 with Dynabeads......Smooth Ridin
    ' VTXOA Inmate#37626
    2012 Victory Vision- Fits the Wife's butt just right! Plus a few others. I need to clean out

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    canyon, tx
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrRadar View Post
    700 miles since Nov 2008?

    I'd sqeak too, if I wasn't getting ridden more than that.
    squeak? id find another ride

    Canyon, tx
    2003 VTX 1800R
    HID headlight, psycho accent lights, how to section has a cruise control
    Something Something Something DARKSIDE michelin hydroedge 205/65 R16
    sent from my R2D2 unit on TATOOINE

  9. #8
    Senior Member geno13r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    memphis
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danater View Post
    squeak? id find another ride
    thats just a crying shame. i've had mine 10 months got 19,500

  10. #9
    Senior Member simpleman45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Helena,Al
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Why would you be going in for a first service at 700 miles? The 1800 first scheduled maintenance is at 4000 miles. The dealer tried telling me the bs about a 600 mile first service and I showed them on Hondas vehicle delivery checksheet where it said the VTX 1800 and GL 1800 first service wasn't until 4000. Seems they run the motors in at the factory, then drain and refill the crankcase. Maybe the dealer is supposed to fill the crankcase though, because mine was over a quart low on oil like they filled it on the sidestand. I checked it over when I got home and found that. They were also supposed to fill the tank but the low fuel light came on after 25 miles. so they only added less than 2 gallons of gas. Gotta love it!!

  11. #10
    Senior Member cuylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simpleman45 View Post
    Why would you be going in for a first service at 700 miles? The 1800 first scheduled maintenance is at 4000 miles. The dealer tried telling me the bs about a 600 mile first service and I showed them on Hondas vehicle delivery checksheet where it said the VTX 1800 and GL 1800 first service wasn't until 4000. Seems they run the motors in at the factory, then drain and refill the crankcase. Maybe the dealer is supposed to fill the crankcase though, because mine was over a quart low on oil like they filled it on the sidestand. I checked it over when I got home and found that. They were also supposed to fill the tank but the low fuel light came on after 25 miles. so they only added less than 2 gallons of gas. Gotta love it!!
    I had the same experience in MN. I got my bike with 0 miles on it (.6) and it was a quart low and just above the fuel light. I was a little over 10 miles away and the light went on. I guess they added enough fuel to turn off the light and let me go. They did however give me a honda t-shirt for my frusteration and riding right back.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Abbotdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sioux City, IA
    Posts
    514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrRadar View Post
    700 miles since Nov 2008?

    I'd sqeak too, if I wasn't getting ridden more than that.

    Yeah, I only ride motorcycles on the 29th of February. Thats why the low miles.

    Really, I bought it as a new leftover last fall and put it in storage for winter right after.

    2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide

  13. #12
    Senior Member Abbotdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sioux City, IA
    Posts
    514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
    Your pedal actuates the center pistons of the front calipers, so this is why you hear them with both the pedal and the lever. 700 miles, have you bedded the new pads into the rotors good yet?
    http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

    Thanks, I will get this done on Saturday.
    After I get my bike back from service...

    2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •