Hello hello - Shaw invited me
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello hello - Shaw invited me

Default Hello hello - Shaw invited me

Found the OA before the Cafe about 6 months ago when I was on a Shadow but looking to upgrade to the X. Dunno why I ended up over at the Cafe more than here, but now that I know of an active group in my area I'm hopeful to play here.

Little background on me. Been riding since I was old enough to. No bike I ever really fell in love with, they were all just a ride. Rode Street, Sport, 1 HD, and Cruisers. My first love was my Purple 2000 Roadie. Sadly taken from me in 2001 by a left turner on 28 in Hooksett the day before the WTC were hit by hijackers so the whole 9/11 thing is sorta surreal for me. About a year later I mounted up on a friends Vstar 650 that wasn't being ridden. Didin't feel right ridding someone else's bike and of course I ended up back in that same intersection same time of night and ...you guessed it, left turner. No hit this time. Had the owner on the back with me too (girl of course). Pulled over and puked my guts out. Had I been alone I probably would have walked away from the bike and most likely never looked back. Luckily I had to man up in front of the chick and I got back on what was probably an hour later.

Rented a few, still not the same. wasn't sure if it was the crash and then the near crash that did it or if it was "this biek isn't mine" syndrome.

Wasn't til April 2010 that I started riding my own again. Picked up an '86 VT1100C of Craigslist for trade of a laptop. $400 into it and a little over a year of riding it.... sold it for what I thought I would be buying, a 2012 Victory Cross Country. But @ $14K I just couldn't pull the trigger. On the old Shadow forum there is a guy that has a VTX 1300, never seen the VTX before but man that was one hot bike he had. Asked him all kinds of questions about it then found this site and the Cafe. Started shopping locally, on ebay, and CL for a VTX 1300, didn't know about the C the R or the S. Read read read and read some more. Oh yeah... I want a 1300R.

Found "Blue Jean Baby" - a 2005 1300R, in a town just outside of San Antonio TX just before Thanksgiving. Had a Shadow forum mener go check it out for me and went on the pics I had, the description I had, and what the Shadow member told me. Paypal'd a deposit to the seller after negotiations, fly out Dec 1, 2011 to ride it home. Of course Texas is in a drought and the weekend I fly in to ride a "New to me" bike it rains straight for 3 days...

On day 2 I decide to just hope on the slab and outrun the rain. I had planned on spending the weekend in San Antonio to get to know the bike in case there were any issues. The plan was to ride back roads all the way back to NH, with a backup plan of hauling it. Everyone I told said I was crazy to ride this time of year INTO New England.

Long story short, I hit soem weather but I would not trade my 2800+ mile backroad ride from TX to FL then up to NH in 9 days for anything. One of the best rides I've ever had. Met up with the friends I made ont he Shadow forum, and a few guys from the Cafe on my way home. Some of them are now very good friends of mine. Looking forward to making some here too.

Thanks for having me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Hey Guys,

Yeah I saw Paplonis along with a few other NH VTX folks over on the Cafe asking about the existence of a NH VTX riders group. After a while things looked pretty bleak and those few guys started to think they were the only NH VTX folks in the state. So when I came across those threads, I assured them that they were not alone and that there are pleanty of us that are always up for riding around on our X's. I let them know about Tech Day so hopefully we'll see some new faces at some of our rides/events this season.

Welcome to the family..good people here, you'll have a good time..looking forward to meeting you..I also was the victim of a left turner,so know how you felt..hope to see you on tech day..
    04 1300C RIP
    06 1300C Black Cherry..Walts toy
    08 1300C metallic black..Walts new toy
    08 1300C Candy Red

Default Newbe

Welcome aboard.

Default New Guy

Hey, Papalonis.
    Welcome.
    I'm another one of the new guys around here. I've never met any of the others, but I've been messaging around here for a few months and the other ongoing members of NH VTX Riders make you feel right at home.
    I am going to be riding on Sundays with the club this season .
    Post some pictures of your X.
    Here are a few shots of mine.

Be good, and I'll see you "out there."

Hondabilly
    2007 VTX1800F3 – metallic black
    National Cycle “Paladin” highway bars
    NC “Switchblade Shorty” windscreen
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would feel like I'm double posting but I will definitely get some pics up here. I have my own site for my own little deal. Check out my VTX Garage for all my mods, rides, and general bike pics.

This one will have to do for now, I've changed her up a bit from stock and purchase from PO. Only "good" pic I have of her is after washing and the puddle looks like it's an oil leak so it ruined the pic.

This was taken for a photo scavenger hunt I was playing on another forum. My son loves the game but that thread got killed by online drama and bickering. He's 6 and he rides alot with me. He loves riding as much if not more than me (if that's even possible). Mom has her moments on how she feels about it... we do our best to keep him safe so even though we are in NH he won't see me without a helmet.

Canyon,
    Welcome to the NH VTX Riders board, a very popular board. We have have a lot of knowledge about the 1300 and 1800. This April 21st, we are having our 5th annual Tech Day. On this day in the past we have done easy things such as oil and final drive fluid changes, plugs, bushings for rear shocks and brake pads. Other, more difficult projects, include replacing front fork springs, steering bearings replacement, total coolant flushes, desmog/pair valve project, new exhaust systems, and electrical projects. Usually a dozen and half bikes worked on throughout the day. Burgers and dogs, chips and sodas are endless.
    Please come by to meet the group and check out our mods and grab some new ideas.
    Again Welcome!
    Doc.

Default Another newbe

Welcome to you to Canyon.

Been modding all winter (since I got the bike really) and think I'm about done for now. If I had a bike jack and/or stand I'd be pulling the wheels to make it easier for me to polish. She is in desperate need of a real good cleaning. One of the drawbacks about riding her all winter in New England. Up to the Canadian border in January and got snowed on 18 miles from my mark. I made it but the ride home had some salt in it. Did my best to wash it but now she needs to be repolished. I plan on making Tech day. Reading about it now and trying to find the time, I got the location, but still reading for time.

Thanks for the welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon View Post
    Been modding all winter (since I got the bike really) and think I'm about done for now. If I had a bike jack and/or stand I'd be pulling the wheels to make it easier for me to polish. She is in desperate need of a real good cleaning. One of the drawbacks about riding her all winter in New England. Up to the Canadian border in January and got snowed on 18 miles from my mark. I made it but the ride home had some salt in it. Did my best to wash it but now she needs to be repolished. I plan on making Tech day. Reading about it now and trying to find the time, I got the location, but still reading for time.

Thanks for the welcoming.
    About 9am until the work is done.

Welcome C. always nice to add new faces..I ride today because Walt couldn't leave the drivway without our daughther on back, so when she got to big to ride between us (yes, we got away with that years ago) I strted riding my own.. Many good memories made from those rides when she was small. Hope to meet you soon..
    04 1300C RIP
    06 1300C Black Cherry..Walts toy
    08 1300C metallic black..Walts new toy
    08 1300C Candy Red

Canyon.....welcome to the group. Fantastic bunch of people here on the board. We all started by chatting here on the board for quite a while. We finally planned our first ride together as a group about 5 years ago. Take some time and check out our gallery. We too have a web site for the group as well as a presence on Facebook. Link to our site is on my sig down below. Feel free to bookmark it. PaulRH has a web site as well with lots of cool graphics. You'll find our group hangs out even in the winter, although most of us don't ride much in the snow. We just got done with the 3rd of our meetings where we plan trips for the upcoming season. Of course people put rides together at the drop of a dime, so definitely stay in touch here as well. Our calendar will be getting populated with rides soon.
    Looks like you have plenty of experience tearing into your bike. Definitely come down for Tech Day at my brother's house in Merrimack. Even if it's just to meet the group. People drop in all day long. At one of these tech day's we actually had 33 bikes in Steve's yard.
    A couple of intesresting rides are our North Meets South ride and Americade. These are pretty much finalized as far as dates go. NMS is our anniversary ride from that 1st ride we had 5 years ago. It's planned for May 26th with a rain date of May 27th. Americade runs from June 4th to June 9th this year. A bunch of us are going up from Thursday the 7th to Sunday the 10th. There are also day trips planned for Friday and Saturday. You're welcome to come along. I believe a couple of people are even heading out to Sturgis this year as well.
    In any case, I think you'll like the group....we are a fun bunch. Again.....WELCOME
    Last edited by CaptDanbo; 04-04-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    Links to the Gallery, Rider Map and Events Calendar have been moved to:

May 26th should be on my Run for the Wall ride from San Diego to DC for Rolling Thunder. Never been to Americade in all my years. Laconia has gotten weak, but I still go. Lately it's been day trips but I think that's more because I'm a family man now. My boy started with me last year on the Shadow, he loves the X much more..... he's got great taste.

Wallet and Wife Willing... I'll make as many rides as I can. Provided the yard work is done, but I'm home part time during the week so I think the yard work park won't be much of an issue. I also belong to SCRC and have a few rides planned with them and a weekend up in Barton VT in July.

May 26th should be on my Run for the Wall ride from San Diego to DC for Rolling Thunder. Never been to Americade in all my years. Laconia has gotten weak, but I still go. Lately it's been day trips but I think that's more because I'm a family man now. My boy started with me last year on the Shadow, he loves the X much more..... he's got great taste.

Wallet and Wife Willing... I'll make as many rides as I can. Provided the yard work is done, but I'm home part time during the week so I think the yard work park won't be much of an issue. I also belong to SCRC and have a few rides planned with them and a weekend up in Barton VT in July.
    Yard work..YUK. That's what neighborhood kids are for. I'm done postponing rides because of a bunch of leaves.
    I'm actually thinking of hiring Dan to paint my deck!
    Welcome to the group. You're allowed to stay if you sell your VTX, but the replacement bike has to start with V!
    Dave

2010 Victory Cross Country. She's a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcrazy View Post
    Yard work..YUK. That's what neighborhood kids are for. I'm done postponing rides because of a bunch of leaves.
    Welcome to the group. You're allowed to stay if you sell your VTX, but the replacement bike has to start with V!
    Dave
    I don't think you can afford me Dave.
    Links to the Gallery, Rider Map and Events Calendar have been moved to:

If I had a bike jack and/or stand I'd be pulling the wheels to make it easier for me to polish. She is in desperate need of a real good cleaning.
    Bring the rags and wheel polish........we've got plenty of jacks and stands at Tech Day!

Dave
    You know that test ride slogan they have.... ride one and you'll buy one... so hard not to. I have a funny story about that if anyone cares to listen.

Default Welcome aboard

We always have a lot of fun on the rides, and we should have quite a few this year. And the way the weather is shaping up, hopefully going to be a lot of good weather too. Hope to see you at tech day. What neck of the woods are you from ? We got riders from all over the place.

Steve#3
    Last edited by rocketman59; 04-04-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: adding to.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDanbo View Post
    We'll see.......

2010 Victory Cross Country. She's a keeper.

Cool Let It Ride...

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDanbo View Post
    We'll see.......
    Dave,
    PM sent, and....
    Sorry... but I have to go there...
    Have you actually considered what color Danbo would use while painting your deck?

Welcome and hail!!! You've already sparked some life into a new season.
    Anyway, welcome to the group! Let it ride!

Paul
    Ride safe,

Live free!
    09' Metallic Black, 1300R, Progressive Fork Springs,
    Ultimate Saddle w/Stock Pillion Mod., V&H Big Shots, Chrome!

Welcome Canyon looking forward to meeting you in person. Sounds like we will see you on tech day...
    Live Free or Die
    Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
    George S. Patton

Welcome aboard the crazy train.... if you not already crazy you will be after a few visits with this group. It's so bad I have to move to get some of my sanity back... . Hopefully we can meet up for a few rides before I head south to NC.
    Over 8yrs, 65K miles and reliable as ever

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.