Honda VTX Forum banner

motorcycle jack stand lift etc

7K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  POKX 
#1 ·
Well dealer wants $175 just in labor to mount tires on my F. I've been an auto technician for 20 years and worked for dealerships all my life. I have a real hard time for spending that kind of spread for something I can do myself. Not to mention it won't been done as per Honda spec ex. Using moly paste on splined hub checking bearings and torturing all fasteners to spec. So with that being the case I'm looking for the best jack for our x's. Must be small and convenient cause I have almost no space. Price is always an issue but I don't want harbor freight Chinese junk. Any recommendations? I've seen the small flat scissor jacks and they seem perfect except for trying to access anything underneath cause the platform is in the way lol. Then I seen a stand made just for the x called pepes x. But 150 for a stand? Bit much I think. So far all I've seen that's decent in quality and price are craftsman traditional style jack with the long pole and dual single platforms. I just don't want to drop the 850 lbs beast but wanna have an all in one tool.

#6 ·
so far that is the best thing I found for price vs quality
I have been happy with it... I am a retired auto mechanic.. .. and work on friends bikes as well... so I have used mine almost every week in the riding season... for 9 years .. I just change the fluid every 2 years in the jack.

you can place 2 2x6 on the floor and ride the bike up on the boards.. if you do not like to hold the bike upright to get the jack under the VTX.

the only jack I have heard that fits under a VTX is like 200 dollars... as the VTX is lower than most.

#8 ·
I have a J&S and it's the first jack I've ever owned on which I don't worry about my bike coming off it, or the jack breaking. Pricey, but for me was worth the money. A lot of people are fine with the Craftsman aluminum jack too which seems to be a step up from HF and the red Craftsman.

I also have an EZ Lift which is the 2nd best jack I've ever owned. They aren't made anymore though.

[HR][/HR]
'05 1800 R/S/N
Proud CRAP Member #057
-

#9 ·
If I knew how to post pics I would. Bought the red steel craftsman tonight for $100 it was the last one for a 100 mi radius in stock. Assembled and it works great once u get the perfect spot on frame and lower on locks and screw feet down to level. Bike hardly moved at top range. And thank u for the 2x4 advice cause it is a PIA getting it under the F!

#10 ·
I have a J&S and it's the first jack I've ever owned on which I don't worry about my bike coming off it, or the jack breaking. Pricey, but for me was worth the money. A lot of people are fine with the Craftsman aluminum jack too which seems to be a step up from HF and the red Craftsman.

I also have an EZ Lift which is the 2nd best jack I've ever owned. They aren't made anymore though.

[HR][/HR]
'05 1800 R/S/N
Proud CRAP Member #057
-
The j and s looks GREAT. But just too much $$ for me at this time

#12 ·
I have the cheap Chinese junk HF version. Just used it to change my tires and it worked fine. Oh, and aside from the color, it is identical to the Craftsman model pictured above. My buddy has one of those. Welcome to the global economy.

#13 ·
Those Sears lifts are ATV lifts that can lift a bike. But, because they are made to lift smaller, lower COG(center of gravity ) machines, once a large heavy bike is up in the air they are very unstable and you almost need to put the bike down onto a PepsX stand to work on the bike on a stable platform. Or, you could buy a motorcycle lift like a Pitbull and not have to worry about the stand. I had a Sears lift, actually I had both the red steel version and the yellow aluminum and used the PepsX stand for any work. Then I purchased a Pitbull and it is a world of difference in stability.

#14 ·
Use a Stand

I have two HF jacks (one is for sale $50.00) and I only use the jack to put the bike on a Stand I built out of wood. When I change a tire I take the wheel off and take it to the Honda dealer. They charge me $20.00 to change the tire. I buy the tire on line to get a better deal and use Dyno beads for balancing the wheel.

Attachments

#15 ·
If I knew how to post pics I would. Bought the red steel craftsman tonight for $100 it was the last one for a 100 mi radius in stock. Assembled and it works great once u get the perfect spot on frame and lower on locks and screw feet down to level. Bike hardly moved at top range. And thank u for the 2x4 advice cause it is a PIA getting it under the F!
Well now that you have your new jack. I will ride my X over and let you work on her for me. I am totally mechanically illiterate, tried working on my tricycle along time ago and ended up making a mess of it. lol :thumbup:

See pic

Child Product Play Toddler Baby Products

Just kidding about that ya'll that's not me. :lol:

#18 ·
They're ALL made in China.

I don't think the J&S jack is made in China, they are located in Appleton WI. and they are pricey but well worth the price. If I had the $$$$$ I would have bought one and I could have driven down there to pick it up. btw. I have had my bike on one and it was super stable, just didn't have the bucks. I have the yellow Sears jack and a stand made of wood.
Perry

#19 ·
They're ALL made in China.
Not true. PokX is correct, the J&S is made in USA. I have one and it's a great jack. Pricey, but far less expensive than having the bike fall over, especially if it falls on me. I sold my Pepsx clone when I bought the J&S, I just didn't need it any more. The jack alone is that stable.

I don't think the J&S jack is made in China, they are located in Appleton WI. and they are pricey but well worth the price. If I had the $$$$$ I would have bought one and I could have drived down there to pick it up. btw. I have had my bike on one and it was super stable, just didn't have the bucks. I have the yellow Sears jack and a stand made of wood.
Perry

#22 ·
[HR][/HR]Have the yellow Craftsman, goes under bike no problem, never found a need for a stand, do everything on the jack, never tied it down, often like to raise it to full height because it gets the tires about 16" off the ground so I don't have to bend over so much. In the winter I store the bike on the raised jack and push it sideways up against the wall, stores just like a bike with a center stand, doesn't take as much space as leaning. Working on it sometimes if the lighting is better on the other side I'll just spin it 180.

#23 ·
My 2 c. I have the HF yellow. I bought it for $60 new, with the 50% off coupon 2 yrs. ago. I do not trust any jack, ever. I had mine in the air all last winter, never lost any hgt. I used 4 ratchet straps wrapped around ceiling supports to keep it from moving/ falling. Any time I use a hydraulic floor jack to raise my car, or lawn mower, whatever, I have it supported or blocked for MY safety. Do NOT rely on the jack alone. Be safe.

#24 ·
My 2 c. I have the HF yellow. I bought it for $60 new, with the 50% off coupon 2 yrs. ago. I do not trust any jack, ever. I had mine in the air all last winter, never lost any hgt. I used 4 ratchet straps wrapped around ceiling supports to keep it from moving/ falling. Any time I use a hydraulic floor jack to raise my car, or lawn mower, whatever, I have it supported or blocked for MY safety. Do NOT rely on the jack alone. Be safe.
I also use jackstands when working on my cars/trucks. But with motorcycle jacks you also have safety bars that can be deployed to keep the jack up in the event of the jack itself losing pressure. Since straps attached to the jack are not going to prevent the bike and jack falling over together, rigging up something like you have is one of the few means to truly prevent the bike from falling over while on the jack or with the jack should something bump it hard enough, or an earthquake happen.

But I put my bike on the J&S jack about every 2nd or 3rd ride to clean it and no longer have any qualms about working around it while on the jack, they are that stable. It doesn't mean I don't keep my feet under me, ready to move me out of the way, and I don't get under the bike, but with the safety bars deployed the jack is safe from collapsing, and as stable as it is on the Pepsx stand.

#26 ·
Seriously I do have a jack/lift that I've had probably ten years and it's lifted a lot of bikes. It is Chinese and it does have the rigid safety locks to secure it while working. Steel rollers, heavy as a Volkswagen Beetle (it seems) and it's really OK. Can't remember where I bought it. It's Chinese but it's alright.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.