Honda VTX Forum banner

Supercharging the vtx1800

202K views 865 replies 119 participants last post by  backstabber 
#1 ·
Hi My name is Richard Albans, I run TTS Performance Parts Ltd, Silverstone, England. www.tts-performance.co.uk

We specialize in supercharging bikes and cars. We have made over 70 different conversions. I have been looking at the VTX1800 for some time and I would like to ask the forum members if they would be interested in a conversion. I think we could make a really great looking kit offering 180-250whp for relatively small bucks. If there is a serious enough interest I would Sponsor the forum and set about design and manufacturing a conversion. We ship worldwide and as you can see from our website we are very professional about what we do.
Thank you for your time and I hope this hasn't broken any forum rules.

List of members showing interest:
Mowoc
baddawg-Neo
schnitz
fireproof60
NotURMailman
C-rider
MrVTX
BigNasty65
fred_04
preacherbo
New York Reaper
MikeR
TxX
Krammer
BadgerX
Frodo7075
Dartanuan

See less See more
#277 ·
I was trying to see what the hp is at now. Then after any engine mods you do. I'm patient and understand what you have to do, equip the test dummies lol. But I'm getting excited and can't wait to see some solid numbers. My next project pre-supercharger is to port and polish, degree the cams, and increase compression ratio/squish with new JE pistons.
We're at 154/149 whp/ft.lb

I think you need more than degreeing in cams, they are so mild anything available should give a good gain especially if combined with porting. Don't go mad with comp ratio, where its at is pretty good for blowing.

#284 ·
If I may I would like to put my thoughts of what you are doing for the vtx community. I for one am very excited and happy, grateful, and impresses by the efforts of Blown and his team for going out on a limb and doing this project. I would LOVE to purchase this S/C for my X but let's not kid ourselves $4800 is A LOT of money for a S/C for the X. I have never ran nor installed one. I have no idea how much R@R goes into doing a project like this. I am sure it cost blown a lot of money also and the $5k may be worth every last penny. I am NOT saying it's over priced or not worth it by ANY means. AND voice my thoughts with ALL due respect to Blown and his team as well as the VTXOA forum and all members. But my 08 F with 5k miles on it is only worth 6k or so. So how does one justify installing a 5k S/C? For ME PERSONALLY , it's just out of reach $$$$ wise. If it were in my range of what I can afford I would buy it in a NY minute. Some of us have more $$$ than others as to be expected such is life. But with that said I will still follow this project and dream of the day Blown has a discontinued sale in the years to come. Thank you Blown to you and your team for all the hard work and effort and keep up the good work

#285 ·
If I may I would like to put my thoughts of what you are doing for the vtx community. I for one am very excited and happy, grateful, and impresses by the efforts of Blown and his team for going out on a limb and doing this project. I would LOVE to purchase this S/C for my X but let's not kid ourselves $4800 is A LOT of money for a S/C for the X. I have never ran nor installed one. I have no idea how much R@R goes into doing a project like this. I am sure it cost blown a lot of money also and the $5k may be worth every last penny. I am NOT saying it's over priced or not worth it by ANY means. AND voice my thoughts with ALL due respect to Blown and his team as well as the VTXOA forum and all members. But my 08 F with 5k miles on it is only worth 6k or so. So how does one justify installing a 5k S/C? For ME PERSONALLY , it's just out of reach $$$$ wise. If it were in my range of what I can afford I would buy it in a NY minute. Some of us have more $$$ than others as to be expected such is life. But with that said I will still follow this project and dream of the day Blown has a discontinued sale in the years to come. Thank you Blown to you and your team for all the hard work and effort and keep up the good work
I agree. I've been thinking that for a while. In my opinion, for me $5000 is a ton of money for most X riders I'd bet. I'm sure it's a fair price- maybe even a great price. But as a middle income father of 3, I only have my X because it was a budget bike. I'm sure if someone can afford a Nissan GTS and wants to supercharge it, $5K is nothing. Or if they have a $25000 Harley the $5K is a big number but can justify it.

All that said, Blown is building something incredible and i've loved watching and will keep watching. And maybe at some point my $ situation will change. I'd love to kick my bike up a notch! Keep up the great work Blown and know that if sales are a little soft it's. DEFINITELY not due to lack of interest or desire!

#287 ·
Man that blower would look good on an F! I bought my 07C with 4300 miles for $5500, she now has a little over 8k miles. Add the blower and she still comes in under half the price of any Harley, Victory, Indian, Suzuki, Kawasaki that will have at least 30-60hp less. My buddy just paid $13k for a used wideglide which will be glided and wiped all over the pavement unless he intends on putting $10K into it! For this type of power, it's a bargain! It's not for everyone, but it is certainly the best option for 1800 owners who want power. At this price point however, I expect a complete kit outfitted for my 07. I'm not down with TTS (Blown) telling me to get a EX500 coolant resovoir off eBay. As of now, this isn't 06-08 compatible kit. For $5K everything bolts up and operates as Honda intended too! No eBay 25 year old parts!

#288 ·
I feel a little different, I bought my 07 with 4300 miles for $5500, she now has a little over 8k miles. Add the blower and she still comes in under half the price of any Harley, Victory, Indian, Suzuki, Kawasaki that will have at least 30-60hp less. My buddy just paid $13k for a used wideglide which will be glided and wiped all over the pavement unless he intends on putting $10K into it! For this type of power, it's a bargain! It's not for everyone, but it is certainly the best option for 1800 owners who want power. At this price point however, I expect a complete kit outfitted for my 07. I'm not down with TTS (Blown) telling me to get a EX500 coolant resovoir off eBay. As of now, this isn't 06-08 compatible kit. For $5K everything bolts up and operates as Honda intended too! No eBay 25 year old parts!
Good point. I understand what you mean and I have looked at it from that angle. I guess it comes down to how much $ you have to play around with. I am also a father of 2. Sole provider and I'm lucky I have 2 bikes My F and an 03 Ninja zx9r along with 3 kawasaki quads and a klx 110 pit bike. I could sell my mint low miles (6k) 03 zx9r and STILL won't have enough money to purchase this kit. As a matter of fact one can most likely find a decent X for 5k. But to eachs own

#289 ·
Good point. I understand what you mean and I have looked at it from that angle. I guess it comes down to how much $ you have to play around with. I am also a father of 2. Sole provider and I'm lucky I have 2 bikes My F and an 03 Ninja zx9r along with 3 kawasaki quads and a klx 110 pit bike. I could sell my mint low miles (6k) 03 zx9r and STILL won't have enough money to purchase this kit. As a matter of fact one can most likely find a decent X for 5k. But to eachs own
Eh you have lots of toys! Blower or not, that zx9r is just as fast as a blown X! Ride safe Brother, those kids need to keep their good Dad!

#290 ·
I am also in love with this project. Not just from a VTX owner's perspective, but from a Mechanical Engineering perspective. Truly remarkable. I will say that I was able to pick up my mint 2007 VTX 1800C with 1089 miles on her 4 months ago for $5.3k. Almost doubling the cost of the bike for that much more power would be awesome but not feasible right now. Plus, I like to take long rides and although I have no idea what it would look like and would have to defer to BLOWN here, what would the range on a tank for a blown VTX be? If it was still something over 100 mi and the cost was slightly lower it is definitely something I would be all over. Hope sales maintain so when I am in a better financial position blowers are still available for me!!!

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

#291 ·
For those who are complaining about the cost . . . well you have never looked into the performance market for that large American motorcycle company (HD). To get a supercharger for a Harley the cost is anywhere from $5500 to $10000 and you will not see numbers as high as for the VTX. I personally think that $4800 for a ground up research and development job is UNBELIEVABLE.

Just think, for a Harley, even used, you are going to spend $12K+. Then add $7k for a middle of the road supercharger and you are at 20 grand (on the low side).

Now, buy a used VTX in great shape for $5200, add the supercharger and for 10 grand you have a monster machine that will blow he doors off of anything out there in V-Twin land.

Gentlemen, this is a great deal.:thumbup:

#292 ·
For those who are complaining about the cost . . . well you have never looked into the performance market for that large American motorcycle company (HD). To get a supercharger for a Harley the cost is anywhere from $5500 to $10000 and you will not see numbers as high as for the VTX. I personally think that $4800 for a ground up research and development job is UNBELIEVABLE.

Just think, for a Harley, even used, you are going to spend $12K+. Then add $7k for a middle of the road supercharger and you are at 20 grand (on the low side).

Now, buy a used VTX in great shape for $5200, add the supercharger and for 10 grand you have a monster machine that will blow he doors off of anything out there in V-Twin land.

Gentlemen, this is a great deal.:thumbup:
I am not complaining about the cost just stating an opinion. And as for the comparison that a lot of people like to make about the X vs Harley cost factor, there is one very big factor that everyone leaves out. Resale value. If u spend 5-10k on a S/C setup for a harley , come time to sell for whatever reason u most likely will recover 50-70% of the cost. How many people would line up to buy a X that would normally sell for 5k but your asking $8500 for? Just food for thought. And it may be a great deal and I know how much blower setups go for on cars and there in the same ball park around 5k. But to a lot of people or at least myself my X is recreational use as w here a hot rod could be dubbed as a daily driver if done correct. But I truly hope sales go very well for blown and his team I would hate to see all this work go to waste.

#293 ·
I take everything on board. Its the same with every high end accessory. You can spend a ton on chrome, wheels etc even more on a trick art work paint job. Its whatever floats your boat.

Consumption:
It's knowing you've got it if you need it with the power at your wrist, if you don't use the power you don't use the fuel. Cruising should return similar consumption to stock if its tuned right.

I am sure I will make sales enough to make it worth while but it may take longer than anticipated from the initial response from forum members. I know it won't pay my pension :)

#294 ·
Man that blower would look good on an F! I bought my 07C with 4300 miles for $5500, she now has a little over 8k miles. Add the blower and she still comes in under half the price of any Harley, Victory, Indian, Suzuki, Kawasaki that will have at least 30-60hp less. My buddy just paid $13k for a used wideglide which will be glided and wiped all over the pavement unless he intends on putting $10K into it! For this type of power, it's a bargain! It's not for everyone, but it is certainly the best option for 1800 owners who want power. At this price point however, I expect a complete kit outfitted for my 07. I'm not down with TTS (Blown) telling me to get a EX500 coolant resovoir off eBay. As of now, this isn't 06-08 compatible kit. For $5K everything bolts up and operates as Honda intended too! No eBay 25 year old parts!
:roll: Kevin staples figured this out years ago with his dual intake setup. I'd tried finding his website (I believe its still up) with no luck. A coolant reservoir is really no big deal in what has been accomplished here a old pop bottle, hunk of tubing, a couple of zipties an your rollin.

#295 ·
:roll: Kevin staples figured this out years ago with his dual intake setup. I'd tried finding his website (I believe its still up) with no luck. A coolant reservoir is really no big deal in what has been accomplished here a old pop bottle, hunk of tubing, a couple of zipties an your rollin.
Kevin Staples ktstaples136@gmail.com

#296 ·
#299 ·
Sorry, BLOWN, talking to Kevin Staples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.