What's the best Product to clean the spokes?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's the best Product to clean the spokes?

Default What's the best Product to clean the spokes?

I had the wheels off replacing the tires, and figured I would clean the rims really good. While the rims came pretty clean I was unable to get the spokes cleaned like I want. I tried several wheels cleaners and degreasers but nothing seemed to touch it! Any advice? A friend mention something about a lace luster??? Or something like that, but I never heard of such.
    Shane
    2003 1300s MS shield, Mustang seat and lots of chrome

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default NOTHING!

Seriously Nothing Works, Because they are Nickle Plated Pieces of ****! Just like the ones on my ' 05VTX and the same on my '04 HD Springer Softail. Really pisses me off! Haven't tried Lace Luster, looks like expensive shoe laces and polish. J&P, Cruizer Customizing sell the stuff. For some improvement you can use brasso or chrome polish with shoe laces and green scotch bright pads and about two cases of beer or your favorite beverage, cause that's how long it will take. Secondly, you need to be careful not polish to much or you'll be down to the steel and then rust will appear.
    Oh, by the way if you live in the south with much humidity, they tarnish before you get the bike out of the shed.

So, I've said to hell with it! I'd rather ride!

Maybe someday I'll learn how to respoke with chrome or win the lotto and have someone else respoke my wheels.
    Till then, they'll look like ****. I still feel spokes are for motorcycles, mags are for cars..........just saying
    Last edited by gadabb; 04-08-2012 at 12:53 AM.
    DARKSIDE '05 Magenta 1300S

Default clean spokes

Go with the luster lace. Been using it for years. Get the sealer which can be used on paint and does a great job.

Just did mine recently as i had the front off for a new tire. I took the bulk of it off with brake clean and a rag. The remainder with windex and a rag. Looks great, but they get covered up in break dust fairly quickly. Ill be cleaning them out again before we ride to the inlaws for easter today. On a positive note, thats my favorite thing about the retro fenders, the front wheel isnt as visible because half of its covered, the rear wheel isnt visible at all between the fender and the saddlebags.
    2005 VTX 1300 S
    Too many to list

Can say if this works or not but a local rider uses scrubbing bubbles and said it worked pretty good. Love the look of spokes but hate cleaning them
    ]

2012 Kawasaki Concours GTR 1400
    2006 VTX 1300C - Gone
    Had Kids
    2003 Suzuki GSXR 1000
    2002 Suzuki Hyabusa (Twin Turbo mod) - Gone
    2001 Honda CBR F4i - Gone
    2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - Gone
    2000 Honda RC51 - gone
    2000 HD Fat Boy - Gone
    1997 Suzuki GSX 1100

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2FST View Post
    Can say if this works or not but a local rider uses scrubbing bubbles and said it worked pretty good. Love the look of spokes but hate cleaning them
    Ive tried scrubbing bubbles too, as well as simple green. So far best results for ME have been brake clean followed by windex.
    2005 VTX 1300 S
    Too many to list

SS wool and a dremel tool. Brass brush is not too bad either.
    We can walk our road together, If our goals are all the same. We can run alone and free, If we pursue a different aim.
    Let the truth of love be lighted. Let the love of truth shine clear. Sensibility, Armed with sense and liberty. With the heart and mind united in a single. Perfect. Sphere. Neal Peart

I use Greased Lightning (kitchen cleaner) and a good spoke brush.

2003R..................... Darkside Rebel and Proud of it. 100,000 Mile Club
    Home made doolies, Crash Bar, Light Bar, Harley Bags, Reckless Batwing,
    Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Highway Pegs, Corbin Tourer Seat, to name
    some of the many mods. Leo

Glen Allen, VA "I do EXACTLY what the voices in my head tell me to do!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclereb View Post
    I use Greased Lightning (kitchen cleaner) and a good spoke brush.

+1.....

All I have ever used. Works fast and easy. Cleans the tires as well.

Wet the tires really well.....spray it on.....wait about 30 seconds....go over it with a tire bristle brush.....hose off. Just dont let it dry on either the wheel or tire.

Wade

2006 Silver 1300S--BUB Club Member # 351

I tried several different products and methods on my wife's Shadow, and determined the effort wasn't relative to the results and said screw this after doing the front. Did the rear with some spray-on wheel cleaner and hosed it off. Couldn't tell I spent an hour on the front one. The rims, however do respond well to chrome polish.
    P
    '07 1300R, Titanium, Bub's, QQ hard bags & other misc stuff, BadX seat.

Sleepyweasel72, your bike looks a lot like mine!

While I have found a VERY easy way to clean whitewalls, I have NOT found a good way to clean these spokes! I think it is because they are defective! Best luck I've had so far is Metal Polish and Scotchbright scouring pads. If the spokes had a finish... it's gone now. I'll also be trying some of the suggestions here too.

One idea is to just have the rims "re-spoked" with new chrome spokes! I've seen it done, and the bike just sparkled!!! Just wash em and wipe em clean!

I love spokes and whitewalls... and I'll deal with whatever it takes to have them!

PS: I'll be riding in your neck of the woods next month, NC & Tenn. Cheers!

The key to sparkly spokes it to clean them often, but it doesn't have to be a chore.

First, get them clean. Then, use something like Honda-Brite or a similar product which promises no scrubbing. Just apply and wait some amount of time and then simply rinse. Do this frequently and they will stay shiny with no crud buildup. It's also a very good idea to dry them with an old bath towel after washing them.

If you neglect them..... then you'll have to start all over again.

Be careful of automotive wheel cleaners. Some spokes are cadmium plated (initially looks like chrome)... and these cleaners will eat that plating.... which results (later) in tarnished or rusty spokes

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.