Honda VTX Forum banner

That was a great ride!

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Doc Rick 
#1 ·
Who knew that we'd find roads like that on the Vineyard? Add in the clear skies, temps in the 70's and countless U-turns and you get a great day.
Hat's off to all of us, especially the passengers, for braving the 38 degree temps. By the time we got to Woods Hole it had climbed to 63, a 25 degree swing. I clocked in at 345 miles and 9.5 hours in the saddle, but can we add in the ferry ride?
Anyway, It was good to see everyone. Let's try and squeeze in one more before we start planning the M.O.M.'s.
I'll get my pieces up today.

#2 ·
Great ride, it was good to see everyone and even better to ride with you. That was the first ride in 2 years with the group for me. Where does the time go. Maybe one more before the snow comes. A little over 376 miles for me. Not afraid to say it but a little tired. Thankfully an early Patriots game, half time nap. LOL Till next time, ride safe.

#3 ·
It was a great day, so glad to see everyone, the season goes by so fast. We rolled in this morning about 11:30, no rain till we got to Merrimack, had suited up, so all was good. Hoping to get a few more fall rides in before the seasons gone for good.

#4 ·
I was buzzing....

It was a great day, so glad to see everyone, the season goes by so fast. We rolled in this morning about 11:30, no rain till we got to Merrimack, had suited up, so all was good. Hoping to get a few more fall rides in before the seasons gone for good.
Great, long day in the saddle. I was buzzing when I dismounted in Contoocook around 8:30 - just the way I like it.
What a glorious day. Lots of smiles. Great views. On the throttle. Nice!!!!

Let's try to get out for one more, people!

Billy

Attachments

#7 ·
That's in my driveway a couple of winters ago, sitting on my 1800F3. I know my Victory is pretty nice and everything. But I miss my big, black X. What a monster she was! Had her up to 107 one time, in 4th gear!!!:mrgreen::doorag:

Billy
How about the picture of the Vic on the beach? Is that yours?

#8 ·
beach pic?

Yeah I'm interested in the beach one too. Yours or a stock photo. Looks too pretty to be a phone picture but sometimes we get lucky.

100+ is so easy on the 1800 but I'm not sure I ever did it in 4th. I don't like to get past 75 without upping to 5th. There is a stretch of 495 between Haverhill and Merrimac that begs me to open her up everytime. Love seeing cars disappear in rear view.

#9 ·
That beach pic

The beach pic is an advertisement for my motorcycle, which I found on the Internet. Really wish I coulda been there8).
As for the F3, I had mine tuned just right. I'm quite certain that she could do 130 opened up. That huge motor is something else on the 1800, and the F3 has 18" wheels, besides. The motor on the Vic is somewhat smaller - 1731cc versus 1795cc on the VTX. However the Victory Gunner is around 125 pounds lighter than my F3 was. Therefore the power/weight ratio is actually greater on the Vic!! Stock specs on the 2007 Honda VTX1800F3 were 120 torque and 106 hp. The Vic has 110 torque and 97 horsepower, and the stock exhaust is pretty hopped up. It's really cool the way Victory has the Gunner tuned up, right from the crate, without any modifications. After having ridden both bikes, I think it's safe to say that in a flatfooted dragrace of 1/4 mile, the Vic, faster off the line, would beat the Honda by a few lengths, but opened up all the way, the Honda will dust the Vic.
All in all, the Victory Gunner just feels lighter, quicker, and thus it's a better handling bike in the curves.
For all day riding on backroads with twisties, the Vic is a superior machine. For long runs in the Interstate, I'll take the F3 - there's nothing like that big, heavy tank of a bike. I'm sure that all of you who are riding 1800s agree with me.

Billy

#10 ·
I agree that's why am keeping the VTX when I buy my new Vic

#12 ·
Still trying to decide between the vision and the cross country tour,i'm looking for a comfortable touring bike that Beth will be the most comfortable on the back

#13 ·
Major differences....

Still trying to decide between the vision and the cross country tour,i'm looking for a comfortable touring bike that Beth will be the most comfortable on the back
I think the major differences between the two bikes are the storage capacity and the way the motors are tuned with their slightly different exhaust systems.
According to the specs I've seen, the Cross Country has a little more cargo space, while the Vision's engine develops a couple more lb. ft. of torque ( 108 vs 106) and a few more horsepower than the XC, due to its different exhaust.
I was talking to Dave Plumcrazy about his beautiful 2010 Cross Country on the way back from Martha's Vineyard. He said that although he really likes it, he can sense that there's untapped power in his engine - thus he's thinking of perhaps modifying his bike's exhaust/mapping?
Many Victory fans do not realize that the Victory cruisers have a completely different exhaust system, and are tuned differently from their baggers and touring bikes, even though all Victories have the indentical, 106 cu. in. engine! The Victory cruisers - Gunner, Highball, Vegas, Hammer - are hopped up!
I believe the 2010 Cross Country was rated at 92 horsepower (78 rear wheel dyno), wheres the 2015 Gunner, for example, develops 97 (81.8 dyno). My Gunner, which also has an upgraded, high-performance air filter element, and is 100 pounds lighter than the tourers and 185 pounds lighter than the baggers, is the quickest-accelerating and best-handling motorcycle I have ever owned, and that includes my 2007 VTX1800F3, which was a monster and I dearly loved her, don't get me wrong.
Good luck with your decision.
See you out there!
PS - Did you see my post about Lake Champlain?

Billy
2015 Victory Gunner (Suede Titanium Metallic): Victory Hi-Flow air filter, Victory Lock & Ride Low Fly windscreen, Victory analog tachometer, Custom Dynamics “Cool Magic” LED driving lights.

Attachments

#14 ·
Doc Rick and I talked to a guy for a while with a cross country down at Lowell bike night.he put in the new timing gear or something to advance the timing and a new map with a stage one exhaust and air filter and said it made a huge difference in power. I still need to test out a victory cross country tour. I am hoping to get a good deal on a end of season used bike,but I am in no rush just hopefully have it for Sturgis next year.
I did see the post about Lake Champlain but it's not looking good for another one right as my weekends are filling up.but I'm still hopeful weand get another ride in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.