There are 6 million species of insects
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: There are 6 million species of insects

Default There are 6 million species of insects

and only about 300 species of mammals.

6 million species of insects and untold quantities of each. Perge the ones that are harmful(poisonous) and one would wonder why anyone is going hungry? Wouldn't one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

It seems about 50% of those insects are feeding on us. At least they are not going hungry!

It has been said that the only living things that survived the fallout that killed off the dinosaurs was those things that lived underground. INSECTS!

Quote Originally Posted by BADography View Post
    It has been said that the only living things that survived the fallout that killed off the dinosaurs was those things that lived underground. INSECTS!
    And it happens all over again this December
    2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Spamaster View Post
    And it happens all over again this December
    If not then it could be 2029 when the asteroid Apophis is scheduled to hit the earth. Look out. She is a BIG one.

Still alive and kicking the pygmy tarsier:

2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Of course if we DID kill 'em all off, we would starve.

2003 HD Road King (for sale one of these days)
    2007 VTX 1300 R
    2006 VTX 1800 R Trike

and only about 300 species of mammals.

6 million species of insects and untold quantities of each. Perge the ones that are harmful(poisonous) and one would wonder why anyone is going hungry? Wouldn't one?
    I don't know where you're getting your data. The IUCN completed an eight year scientific survey in 2005 and counted 5,676 extant species of mammals on Earth. Many more have been discovered since then. That's not a minor error on your count.

Insects are estimated to be between six and ten million species, so at least that data was reasonably accurate.

2008 VTX1800N Spec 3 - "Freya"
    “The notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, while a dependence upon reason, observation, and experience merits everlasting pain, is too absurd for refutation, and can be believed only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance, called faith.” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
    I don't know where you're getting your data. The IUCN completed an eight year scientific survey in 2005 and counted 5,676 extant species of mammals on Earth. Many more have been discovered since then. That's not a minor error on your count.

Insects are estimated to be between six and ten million species, so at least that data was reasonably accurate.

How did they get them all on the Ark?
    Start them early

Semper-FI

I was watching a docu on it last night. I even rewound it to hear the numbers again. I thought 300 was low. I just tried to get it again. Netflix is having a streaming problem. I will check it again later.

Quote Originally Posted by budley3 View Post
    There were only 27 species of everything back then.

They've evolved since then...wait..that can't be right...

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…"

OK, I watched that part again and he said "few hundreds mammals." Let's say that he mis-spoke and he meant few thousand. that would be closer to your 5676. He was speaking at a conference in 2010 in Oxford England.

Be that as it may, insects way out number the mammals. Why then, aren't those multi-legged creepy crawly things a more common food source?

I've heard that some cultures eat fried grasshoppers like we eat potato chips.

A lot of animals eat insects.

OK, I watched that part again and he said "few hundreds mammals." Let's say that he mis-spoke and he meant few thousand. that would be closer to your 5676. He was speaking at a conference in 2010 in Oxford England.
    "A few hundreds" is British for a few thousand. Their billion is different than ours, etc. I used to remember the conversions. Makes sense now.

Be that as it may, insects way out number the mammals. Why then, aren't those multi-legged creepy crawly things a more common food source?

I've heard that some cultures eat fried grasshoppers like we eat potato chips.

A lot of animals eat insects.
    I eat insects now and then while riding with my faceplate up.

I have eaten mealworms, ants, and grasshoppers. Didn't care for the grasshoppers, but the mealworms and ants were fine. The mealworms were baked with a slight sprinkling of cinnamon on them and the ants were fried. I can't say I'd make them a regular staple, but we ought to be able to find a palatable method for greater consumption.

One of the red dyes commonly used in foods is made from cochineal. So, if you want to avoid insect in your diet, don't eat some of the red candies out there.

“The notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, while a dependence upon reason, observation, and experience merits everlasting pain, is too absurd for refutation, and can be believed only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance, called faith.” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

"A few hundreds" is British for a few thousand. Their billion is different than ours, etc. I used to remember the conversions. Makes sense now.

I eat insects now and then while riding with my faceplate up.

I have eaten mealworms, ants, and grasshoppers. Didn't care for the grasshoppers, but the mealworms and ants were fine. The mealworms were baked with a slight sprinkling of cinnamon on them and the ants were fried. I can't say I'd make them a regular staple, but we ought to be able to find a palatable method for greater consumption.

One of the red dyes commonly used in foods is made from cochineal. So, if you want to avoid insect in your diet, don't eat some of the red candies out there.

So why do you think insects aren't bundeled for a more wide distribution of a food supply. I guess it doesn't matter if it is wheat, rice or insects if the rulers of the lands won't allow it to get to the ones in need?

2003 HD Road King (for sale one of these days)
    2007 VTX 1300 R
    2006 VTX 1800 R Trike

Senior Member Highway 61 Revisited's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    They got them on by twos

"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself" -Old Biker's Credo

"I'll let you be in my dream, if I can be in yours" --B. Dylan 0/`j~0

Over 50 billion species of plants and animals have existed since life began on earth some 2.5 b years ago.

Although new ones do evolve, it is estimated that 99.9% of these are now extinct.

Scientists have evidence for at least 5 world wide catastrophic events; one, some 250 million years ago is said to have destroyed 95% of life on the planet.

btw: while some insects and animals may have survived underground, marine lifeforms persisted as well.

"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself" -Old Biker's Credo

So why do you think insects aren't bundeled for a more wide distribution of a food supply. I guess it doesn't matter if it is wheat, rice or insects if the rulers of the lands won't allow it to get to the ones in need?
    I think it is probably far more psychological than practical decision making. I look forward to a good steak, but I can't say I'm drooling over a bag of baked mealworms.

I think it is probably far more psychological than practical decision making. I look forward to a good steak, but I can't say I'm drooling over a bag of baked mealworms.
    I wasn't talking about you or me. I was talking about feeding the hungry, ie the starving peoples of the world.

If one is hungry enough, one will eat anything. I have heard stories of people so desperate for food that they are reduced to canibalism!

Seems like the abundance of insects would help feed the truly starving.

One way of killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, is to feed the homeless to the hungry.

I wasn't talking about you or me. I was talking about feeding the hungry, ie the starving peoples of the world.

If one is hungry enough, one will eat anything. I have heard stories of people so desperate for food that they are reduced to canibalism!

Seems like the abundance of insects would help feed the truly starving.

One way of killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, is to feed the homeless to the hungry.
    I realize that you're joking but everyone has the right to eat decently. Many cultures do have meals that include bugs, which can be highly nutritious.

Of course lots carry disease and bacteria harmful to man. Hate to think of the original version of "the Fly"
    ".........help me...........help meeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! "

Quote Originally Posted by Highway 61 Revisited View Post
    I realize that you're joking but everyone has the right to eat decently. Many cultures do have meals that include bugs, which can be highly nutritious.

Of course lots carry disease and bacteria harmful to man. Hate to think of the original version of "the Fly"
    ".........help me...........help meeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! "
    Now wait a cotton pickin' minute. Me joke? Surely you jest?

Donner party, table for 15. Make that 14. 13...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.