Honda VTX Forum banner

One more question for the darksiders

3K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  KeyWasted 
#1 ·
Just got my yokohama avid envigor on a couple days ago and put about 300 miles on it so far. I noticed when the bike sits on the kick stand it looks like the tire is a little low on air. It squats a little on the left side when the bike is just sitting there. However, it has 40 psi in it. I've check multiple times just in case. One guy in my club thought it was low today too. However, it rides great and feels solid.

Is it normal for a car tire to squat a little when the bike is on the side stand?

Maybe I'm being too cautious but I just want to be 100% sure I'm good before I put some real miles on it without checking the pressure every time I get on and off.

#28 ·
CT's aren't designed to be ridden up on the shoulder, which, they will to an extent when you corner (hell you can see it starting to ride up on the shoulder just sitting on the kick stand for most folks and that's not even half as far as you'll lean into some corners. . ....

Which question would you like me to respond to first?

- are you saying his response was to squatting? really? Nothing about riding on a car tire? MAybe...just perhaps...we see what he wrote differently...but..it seems others see it the same way.
Actually, yes.

- actually...I would think mods should be a bit circumspect. In this case...he didn't talk about squatting...he talked about never trusting..nor should anybody...using a car tire. What part are you missing?
Actually yes again, he did.

- banning...or timeout...which is the actual word I used...which you seemed to have missed (typical it appears when one who wishes to defend the indefensible), would have to be asked of the mod. You...I mean...you...can only assume.

The end result is WG got his answer....despite some interjection that did not address his question. If you can not see that...then I can not print it any clearer.

Bull
A timeout is a ban Bull, albeit temporary. You want to argue over semantics too?

And you're right, Wesley got his answer, in spite of your interjection, or mine, neither of which served to answer his question.

Wesley this topic often ends up like this, as you probably know. The expressing of opposite opinions is almost a certainty. Where it gets sidetracked is when one side of the other makes it personal. All part of the funhouse!

#30 ·
I’ve made my decision based on research, experimentation on my part and from others and more than 40 thousand miles of first hand knowledge. You can opine as you wish of course, but discounting my statements by blowing off first hand knowledge does nothing to validate your argument.

MT upright

CT upright

CT on VTX scraping hard parts

MT moderate curve
KeyWasted, Thank you soo much. I have been considering darkside for awhile, and there are always discussions. I have never before seen your pictures but they are absolutely perfect.. did you take them yourself? Bloody amazing examples.. after your post, i feel more confident and i will absolutely be going darkside even is just for long rides.

Thank you again KeyWasted

#31 ·
Wesley, in answer to your question...yes, when on the kickstand and inflated to 40 psi, the car tire does look low. I have had my ct on for a year now, took a 4000 mile trip recently to Okla. through the mountains in Ark. and had not one problem whatsoever! No matter what anyone says, it is you bike and you set it up how you want! Car tire, motorcycle tire...your choice

And one of the reasons I went with a car tire after so many years on a mt was watching KeyWasted's video and the cost of mt replacement every year

Dan

#32 ·
Thanks to everyone who answered my question, and to Key Wasted for posting that great video. It sucks this debate seems to turn into much more when people start to take it personally. One of the early comments just pissed me off to be quite honest and I had to voice my opinion.

#33 ·
The truth of the matter is although they are very vocal there really isn't that many people riding around on car tires and some have changed back.I used to argue with them and like a political argument it's not long before they are calling you names.But even if didn't think it was a bad idea the fact that they are ugly is enough for me.
It's the same as people who ride Harley's when you can have a VTX,some things just don't make sense.:shock:;):lol:

#34 ·
I keep a 2x6 under my kickstand. Probably not necessary. But I do it.

[HR][/HR]
'05 1800 R/S/N
Proud CRAP Member #057
-
I have an R model kickstand on my 05F. The R model kickstand is about 2" longer than the kickstand on the F & C models.

#35 ·
:agree:

Not to start the dispute all over again, because the folks that run CT's think they are just as good.

I wouldn't trust my life to a car tire on a motorcycle, but that's just my crazy sense of self preservation. . . . The way the two tires are designed is TOTALLY different. CT's aren't designed to be ridden up on the shoulder, which, they will to an extent when you corner (hell you can see it starting to ride up on the shoulder just sitting on the kick stand for most folks and that's not even half as far as you'll lean into some corners. . . this is all foolishness though on my part because I'm trying to speak logically so I'll stop. . . . . If you are doing what other car tire users are doing and they haven't had a problem with it, they'll tell you it's safe because they haven't had a problem with it yet. . . . FWIW. Sounds like you're following the crowd "correctly" on how they recommend you use a non approved tire.

Good luck with it.
After 20,000 miles my CT hasn't failed me yet. If it was going to blow out in a corner it would have done so by now. ;)

#36 ·
#37 ·
I have considered going over.
I just wish we had some better alternatives to Long lasting MC Tires.
I love the way the F handles now.
Really don't want to lose any of that great control or feeling!
Same here with my F! I'm considering a CT but don't want to sacrifice handling or performance. That said, spending $500 per year to retread gets pricey.

love myself
TMI there, pal! :wink::lol:

KW, thanks for the video. Your tire has a nice curved profile. What is it?

#38 ·
Same here with my F! I'm considering a CT but don't want to sacrifice handling or performance. That said, spending $500 per year to retread gets pricey.

TMI there, pal! :wink::lol:

KW, thanks for the video. Your tire has a nice curved profile. What is it?
You're welcome Lefty.
it's a Nexen N5000- 80 bills at Walmart and I mounted it with Dyna beads.

Unfortunately, I can tell you all sorts of ways till Sunday how you won't lose handling or performance but until you make the jump, you won't be able to judge for yourself. I have not a single regret in all honesty, because it feels surefooted, wet or dry. And if I get on it, she doesn't sit there and make smoke, she goes. :lol:

Lefty, I just realized the tire you were inquiring about and the tire in the video were my old Michelin Hydroedge. The new Nexen is MUCH more rounded and handles 100% better.

#39 ·
KeyWasted, Thank you soo much. I have been considering darkside for awhile, and there are always discussions. I have never before seen your pictures but they are absolutely perfect.. did you take them yourself? Bloody amazing examples.. after your post, i feel more confident and i will absolutely be going darkside even is just for long rides.

Thank you again KeyWasted
You're welcome Jeff,
The CT pics are image grabs from my video, the MT pics are the same from a video I found on Youtube.

#40 ·
You're welcome Lefty.
it's a Nexen N5000- 80 bills at Walmart and I mounted it with Dyna beads.

Unfortunately, I can tell you all sorts of ways till Sunday how you won't lose handling or performance but until you make the jump, you won't be able to judge for yourself. I have not a single regret in all honesty, because it feels surefooted, wet or dry. And if I get on it, she doesn't sit there and make smoke, she goes. :lol:

Lefty, I just realized the tire you were inquiring about and the tire in the video were my old Michelin Hydroedge. The new Nexen is MUCH more rounded and handles 100% better.
I'm going to change out my GYTT this winter after 30K...going to try the Nexen based on your recommendation (but don't tell anybody...hate to think 1) some would assume you know what you are talking about and 2) that we exist in the same circles...we don't).

Bull

#43 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.