Honda VTX Forum banner

Triking your bike

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  driver10 
#1 ·
Just wondering: Have any of you triked your bike or investigated the possiblities. After two back surgeries in the last 9 months, putting feet up and down is getting tougher. What have you found to be decent choice.

Thanks for any info, Bob

#4 ·
I'd go sidecar

I'd been having the same problems with my back, which is why I went to a sidecar. It's a lot less expensive than any of the trike kits, easier to install, easier to maintain, easier to ride, easier to learn, and makes repairs and service a little easier as, as well. I believe that you can get a new car for around $4-5K and I've found mine to be much more stable than a conventional trike, not as stable as my Can-Am, but very learnable. JMO

Doc

#5 ·
I'd been having the same problems with my back, which is why I went to a sidecar. It's a lot less expensive than any of the trike kits, easier to install, easier to maintain, easier to ride, easier to learn, and makes repairs and service a little easier as, as well. I believe that you can get a new car for around $4-5K and I've found mine to be much more stable than a conventional trike, not as stable as my Can-Am, but very learnable. JMO

Doc
I would be very, very surprised if a hack could hang with my Hannigan. Granted it cost alot more than $4-5K but no way a side car is gona be more stable than a trike with independant suspension.
I'm not knocking side cars, just saying I'd have to see it to believe it.

#7 ·
#8 ·
this thing is like a go cart on steroids. you'll never go back and you'll wonder why you waite d so long.

Attachments

#12 ·
I would be very, very surprised if a hack could hang with my Hannigan. Granted it cost alot more than $4-5K but no way a side car is gona be more stable than a trike with independant suspension.
I'm not knocking side cars, just saying I'd have to see it to believe it.
I know little about the Hannigan, but have ridden a Motor-Trike conversion, and have about 25K on my VTX and bought it new with the sidecar mounted. The first day I brought it home, I accidentally lifted the right side, once I learned to respect right turns I found that sidecars were very stable, I'm sure that I have developed skills over all of these miles, but, I know, also, that a conventional trike, at least the few I've ridden, is much easier to lift the rear wheels on both sides. Physics does still hold true, if centrifugal force is applied to an object with wheels on the ground it must pull away from the inside of the curve, left turns on a sidecar presses the tire hard into the pavement as weight is shifted. Again I've never ridden on a Hannigan, but have ridden both traditional and reverse trikes, and that has been my experience.

Doc

#15 ·
I know little about the Hannigan, but have ridden a Motor-Trike conversion, and have about 25K on my VTX and bought it new with the sidecar mounted. The first day I brought it home, I accidentally lifted the right side, once I learned to respect right turns I found that sidecars were very stable, I'm sure that I have developed skills over all of these miles, but, I know, also, that a conventional trike, at least the few I've ridden, is much easier to lift the rear wheels on both sides. Physics does still hold true, if centrifugal force is applied to an object with wheels on the ground it must pull away from the inside of the curve, left turns on a sidecar presses the tire hard into the pavement as weight is shifted. Again I've never ridden on a Hannigan, but have ridden both traditional and reverse trikes, and that has been my experience.

Doc
All trikes are not created equal.
I have a friend that has a Harley Tri-Glide. He's had his up on 2 wheels a couple of times. I've tried and have been unsucessfull is raising a wheel on my RSV/Hannigan.
I'm as fast, if not faster than ever through the twisties and I'm still getting used to it.
Differant widths, suspensions and axel configurations make alot of differance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.