Honda VTX Forum banner

Has anyone gone dark sider on an 1800 F?

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  KeyWasted 
#1 ·
I have 9,000 miles on a set of Pirelli Night Dragons. The back tire is cupped pretty good from a recent trip through the Midwest (2200 miles) riding interstates at 80 mph. lol! Anyway, I hope to get another 1,000 out of them.

I'm looking at another set of Night Dragons because they handle really well and have good life. But I was entertaining maybe coming to the dark side. Questions:

1. I like to twist the throttle and push it in the twisties. Will a DS reduce handling? Will it be noticeable getting it up of the edge? Does it get squirelly in low-speed turns?
  2. How many miles should I expect?
  3. Which tire is recommended?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Darkside Tire

I had one on my 05F a few years ago. I ran the Toyo Proxis at the time. Its the best looking and one of the few that would fit. It ran fine in the corners, but not as good as a M/C tire. Mileage will be a LOT more than an M/C tire.

#4 ·
I had one on my 05F a few years ago. I ran the Toyo Proxis at the time. Its the best looking and one of the few that would fit. It ran fine in the corners, but not as good as a M/C tire. Mileage will be a LOT more than an M/C tire.
Yep, the mileage is one reason I'm looking at it. $500 per year for new tires is pricey.

I am running a Cooper on my F and I like it. I am not new to the darlside, so I am very biased.
Thanks! Which Cooper?

#5 ·
Darkside for F rear

Cooper Zeon 215/45R18. I have one on my '05 that has over 20,000 miles on it and still has half its tread left. It took a couple hundred miles to get used to the difference in the way felt, but by then I was sold on concept. I've drug the pegs on a lot of corners, so performance is a plus. If you go that route, know this: when you first put the tire on the bike it will seem too close a fit to the swing arm. After just a few miles of riding the tire takes on a rounder profile and the clearance increases to about a quarter of an inch. I wish you well.

#6 ·
Cooper Zeon 215/45R18. I have one on my '05 that has over 20,000 miles on it and still has half its tread left. It took a couple hundred miles to get used to the difference in the way felt, but by then I was sold on concept. I've drug the pegs on a lot of corners, so performance is a plus. If you go that route, know this: when you first put the tire on the bike it will seem too close a fit to the swing arm. After just a few miles of riding the tire takes on a rounder profile and the clearance increases to about a quarter of an inch. I wish you well.
:agree: That's the same tire I'm running on my 05F. I have about 20,000 miles on the tire and it's good for at least another 5K miles. The wear bands are visible but I'm not down to them yet. Everything you do MOD wise is a compromise of some sort. Going DS is no different. It takes a while to get used to the feel of it. Granted it might not be as nimble as a MC tire but you get used to it and over time you can make it work for you just like a MC tire. It just takes time (miles) in the saddle. I really like not having to install a new rear tire every 6,000 miles! Plus you get better wet weather stability and better braking power especially when the roads are wet. Bridge grattings and cross winds, not a problem! :thumbup:

#8 ·
Not trying to change anyones mind.

I get 17,000 miles on a rear motorcycle tire... Dunlop Elite 3... 200/45-18.... I am on my third .. Elite 3. 40 psi front and rear.

and I run the twisties a lot.. and I hang off... so I run these tires Hard...

#13 ·
Battoo has 150,000 miles on his 1800f and has been running darkside pretty much since his factory tire wore out.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.