Honda VTX Forum banner

New Bike and New Rider 2007 VTX 1300C

2K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  POKX 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I purchased my first motocycle and first VTX 1300 in the middle of August. I got the itch after my divorce earlier this year. What great therapy it has been and what great people I have met along the way. The bike is a 2007 and had 5500 miles on it (6200 now) and is a pearl white color. It has cobra speedster longs and what else I do not know. I am trying for figure out how to make the bike more comfortable for me on a budget, (remember divorce, ouch!) I am 6'5" tall and weigh about 230 lbs with an 35" inseam. The bike is totally stock except for the Cobra pipes.

I looked into getting the seat sent off and fitted for me, and ran across Mean City Cycles, any advise on that?

I also am looking for cheap brackets to move the controls forward, the JDubb ones from 2008 and 2009 would be perfect, or if anyone could make a set I would gladly pay for them as I do not have the time, know how or ability to fabricate them, but I could install them.

I just bought some handlebar risers off of another member in the for sale section. (Missed the forwards control brackets :()

Just wanted to officially say hello and introduce myself. I'll post up a picture of the bike when I can.

Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome from the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont ~ take the time and get used to the new ride, you'll love it even more as time goes by. As for the seat mods from MCC, you can't go wrong working on a budget ... if you had gotten an 1800, we could work something out (R,S or T that is). Give them a call and talk personally over the phone, you can't go wrong there.
Ride safe ~

#3 ·
I've heard nothing but good from mean city cycles. The risers will help and so will the forward controls. I left mine where they are and got highway pegs but the cost is about the same by the time you get extentions, bracket, and pegs. Either way you go it will make it more comfy and will give more therapy time! Lord knows we all need more of that. ;)

#8 ·
The single best thing you can do as a new rider has little to do with your new wheels. Attend a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course.
It will make you a better rider, get an insurance discount and you will learn alot.

Congrats on the X upon the departure of your ex.

#10 ·
Welcome to the OA. There are a lot of things you can do to make your ride more comfortable. Getting rid of the OEM seat is one of the first things. I have a Mustang seat and I still put an Air Hawk cushion on it. If you can swing it, get some highway bars and footpegs. I have the Cobra Fatties with the Kuryakyn Longhorn pegs. Another great mod is Glenn's CPR (Clutch Pull Relief). At about $30, it's easy to install and your left hand will love it if you do any stop and go riding. I can go on and on, but this ought to get you started. I will be glad to help you spend money you don't have (oh, wait, if that was what your ex did, then nevermind)

#11 ·
Welcome from Ft. Worth, Texas and congrats on the new bike!

As far as your height and making your bike more comfortable........Can't help you too much as I'm 5'10". I can only imagine being your size on a modern day cruiser! I feel I'm at the tall limit at my height!

Two things that have helped me: Mirror riser extensions. Got them on ebay for $15.00. Before them; no matter how and where I aimed my mirrors I would have to dip my shoulder to see behind me.
Grip cover. I don't have big hands for my size but have felt grips are made for much smaller hands. I put grip covers on them and much more comfortable and I feel like I can keep a better grip with less effort. (Would this be ergonomics?)

#12 ·
Mods

I brought my 2005 1300c in Feb of this year. My first bike in 30 years.
I did maintenance first - all fluids , tires, steering bearing, ect.
Comfort next - SEAT, fork spring, rear shocks, ect
Power next - Clayton mod, decap air box and jet kit
Make a list and -
Keep looking at the classifieds here and ebay
Good Luck and ride safe
Clay Delaware

#17 ·
Thank you gentlemen for the warm welcome and the helpful advise.

I did take a Motorcycle riders safety course before I bought my bike. I actually bought the bike the next day after the course ended. I did learn a lot and I am more comfortable before I rode. I would recommend it to anyone.

Unfortunately I will have to stick to a budget for a little while. I could probably swing a few little comfort things right now, the rest will have to wait. I consider the seat modifications and some sort of brackets to move my controls forward a must.

#18 ·
Welcome from another new VTX owner! I took the Basic Rider Course back in spring of 2012 and have ridden almost daily since then. I still practice the basic low-speed maneuvers in empty lots from time to time, and want to take the Advance Rider Course next spring to continue to improve. The best performance mod is the nut behind the bars :joke:

#21 ·

Welcome from N.E. Wisconsin, you will like it here. Enjoy your new ride.
Perry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.