Honda VTX Forum banner

Fomer Harley owners?

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  billshep2 
#1 ·
Since there seems to be a lot of former VTX owners who have gone to Harleys. And some who've kept their VTX but bought a Harley.
What about stories/experiences/anecdotes from former or current Harley owners who now ride a VTX. Just turning things around.

#4 ·
All HDs since first one ('46 WL) in '71. '56 Pan, '68 Shovel, both chopper/bobbers. Then a brandy new '82 CB750SC for a couple of years. Then back to HD until Honda brought out the VTX 18. I work on alot of HDs, they build nice bikes. Like any major manufacturer they have occasional issues (like the spring loaded cam chain tensioners in the early Twin Cams). Was there something specific you wanted to know?

#5 ·
Over the past 9 years I have had a 1300C, a 1200 Sportster and my present 1800N. All are good bikes but I feel most comfortable on the N. I bought the '06 Sportster at an auction in'09 for $4500, sold it in '11 for $6500. It as a pretty good bike but I am a big guy and just didn't feel comfy on it...

#9 ·
I currently have an Ultra Classic as well as an 1800. I ride them equally. The Ultra is great for two up touring which I do a lot. Very easy to handle.

The X, as we all know, is super reliable and I love not having to run premium fuel in it.

I could go on and on about the pros of each.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

#10 ·
All HDs since first one ('46 WL) in '71. '56 Pan, '68 Shovel, both chopper/bobbers. Then a brandy new '82 CB750SC for a couple of years. Then back to HD until Honda brought out the VTX 18. I work on alot of HDs, they build nice bikes. Like any major manufacturer they have occasional issues (like the spring loaded cam chain tensioners in the early Twin Cams). Was there something specific you wanted to know?
Nothing specific. I've just noticed a lot of people here are current Harley former VTX owners or Have both bikes. I wanted to here a point of view or experience the other way around.

#11 ·
They are machines. No matter what the name is on the tank, they break and there are bad units that get out to the public. My Road Glide took me from Chicago to Vancouver and rode the Rockies to Denver and in 2 years I put 30,000 miles on it trouble free. Wait, to be fair, the backlight on the radio went out which the replced free. My Screaming Eagle Ultra took me from Chicago to Pa to ride the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. Took me to Key West and Denver twice and in 2 years I put another 30k on it, trouble free. When I sold it, I found the rear left turn signal had gone out. My first HD, a 1998 Fatboy, shook like crazy and I traded that on my VTX1800. My worst bike was my Shadow Spirit 1100, developed a sound that resembled a Detroit Diesel engine. Honda replaced the cams, vavles, pistons and it still made that horrible sound.

#12 ·
They are machines. No matter what the name is on the tank, they break and there are bad units that get out to the public. My Road Glide took me from Chicago to Vancouver and rode the Rockies to Denver and in 2 years I put 30,000 miles on it trouble free. Wait, to be fair, the backlight on the radio went out which the replced free. My Screaming Eagle Ultra took me from Chicago to Pa to ride the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. Took me to Key West and Denver twice and in 2 years I put another 30k on it, trouble free. When I sold it, I found the rear left turn signal had gone out. My first HD, a 1998 Fatboy, shook like crazy and I traded that on my VTX1800. My worst bike was my Shadow Spirit 1100, developed a sound that resembled a Detroit Diesel engine. Honda replaced the cams, vavles, pistons and it still made that horrible sound.
I had an '04 Shadow Spirit 1100. I put over 38,000 miles on it before I traded it for my '06 1800C. It was the smoothest running motorcycle I have ever owned. You must have got the only lemon Honda ever made. Did you ever figure out what was making that horrible noise?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.