Honda VTX Forum banner

Done riding

5K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  jollieman 
#1 ·
I guess I am done riding for a while. I am going in to the hospital for back surgery. They are going to open the area where the nerves come through the bones at L-2, L-3, and L-4, then fuse L-4 and L-5 together. Looking at 4 1/2 hours of surgery then 2 months of recovery. That means I will be off my bike untill at least Christmas.

#2 ·
Leo, sorry to hear about your back. I have lower back problems also so I know how it can effect every little thing you do. Hopefully everything will go better than expected and after the recovery you will be back to riding and hammering steel. Hope you feel better sonner than expected and make a full recovery. Good luck my friend.

#3 ·
Hope things go well for you and get back to riding ASAP I see you a member of the 100,000 mile club so I'm sure you can't wait till you back on the saddle
Good luck

#9 ·
Pray it goes well.

Don't push the recovery harder than the DR.s say to... don't want to have something not to heal right just to do something a few weeks faster.

Set the bike up for storage just in case you don't get back on before the weather turns.

Keep us in the loop on how your doing.

#10 ·
Thanks to all.
My bike is definitely going into storage, first time since I bought her.

#11 ·
proper storage is a must...

best of luck with the back....

No 2 people are the same... Are they SURE the fusing is necessary ..?
years ago.. I have several lower back operations... I refused fusing... took longer to recover.. but my choice worked better for me in the long run... Thankfully ...

Take Care, after the operation.... do not try the MAN UP... take the time to recover fully before any real work... easy to mess stuff up.

#12 ·
Best of luck on the surgery, I had the same thing done in 2009 and I didn't ride the bike for 3 months. I have to tell you that my back does not give me any problems since the surgery, I'm not as flexible as I used to be but I don't have any pain, first time in 14 years, what a relief. Hope your goes as well.

#13 ·
proper storage is a must...

best of luck with the back....

No 2 people are the same... Are they SURE the fusing is necessary ..?
years ago.. I have several lower back operations... I refused fusing... took longer to recover.. but my choice worked better for me in the long run... Thankfully ...

Take Care, after the operation.... do not try the MAN UP... take the time to recover fully before any real work... easy to mess stuff up.
L-5 is slipped and starting to cause some problems.

#14 ·
Sorry to hear about that; I hope all goes well. Sounds like you're at the point where fusion is your best option. That's a bad place to be. A lot of my clients (I handle injury cases) end up having fusion surgery, as have a few of my friends. Recovery can be a bear. Hang in there!

God bless,
M

#16 ·
Leo, I wish you the best in the procedure and recovery.

My Dad had that same thing twice and he was very thankful for the results.

Yea, if it will get me off the pain pills it will be worth it.

#18 ·
Surgery has been postponed for three months. It seems that the insurance company knows more about my problem than my back Dr. does. They want me to do three months of physical therapy before they will pay for the surgery. The company I did physical therapy with before folded when the econamy went south and nobody has records to show that I was there. It has been over seven years and what I have been told is they only have to keep those records for seven years, so I am tarting physical therapy again.

#20 ·
Insurance finally decided to let me have the back surgery. I go in the hospital on May 5th. Four and half hours of surgery, two to three days in the hospital then one to two months at home.

#21 ·
Insurance finally decided to let me have the back surgery. I go in the hospital on May 5th. Four and half hours of surgery, two to three days in the hospital then one to two months at home.
Prayers all go well .. and a speedy recovery... Insurance sucks.. dealing with Ohio Workers Compensation is harder...

#22 ·
Heal well bud. Keep a positive attitude and do what the docs tell you. Ride again soon!

#24 ·
Thanks all I will let ya'll know how things go.

#25 ·
Surgery is done now on the way to recovery. Have a long way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.