Smell of overheating
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smell of overheating

Default Smell of overheating

Took my bike out of storage the other day and went for a little run.Smelled like it was overheating prestone level is good and it doesnt appear to be leaking. Does anyone have any suggestions? Rick
    04 1300 Retro, Vance and Hines Big shots,Mustang wide touring seat,Scootworks Phat II risers,Mutazu RS bags, Memphis Shades Batwing

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Coolant level in the reservoir is NOT an indication of coolant level in the engine.

In storage -- moisture, mold other things may be burning off.

Did the fan kick on or did you get a coolant temperature indicator?
    If no then probably ok..
    Last edited by Hans&Feet; 04-15-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back.
    154,329 VTX miles...​On 10th frt tire, 13th rear tire
    When you stop learning, you are dying.
    http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/hans1300/profile/

If you store at the dealer some time they include inspection and add prestone or take of the cap under the tank drop gut on the cylinder head . Make sure the fill cap under the right side cover is tight if not it can let out hot prestone vapor . Make sure the reserve tank is not under the minimum mark at cold engine second heat light still of and the fan working then quip ride and check cooling hose . It doesn't have the a big leak the smell prestone .

By all means check the bike over, but I get the smell in traffic and after due diligence figure it was some car or truck..good luck
    Phil (I should be ridin) Ford...
    VTX...."No Brag, Just Fact....."

06 1300R/CBC/ DS /Foots

might just be dust bunnies and cob webs burrning off.

I agree with all above. Have you ever did the fan ground fix? Green ground wire by fan, unbolt it, remove paint on frame where it grounds to, reconnect it.

06 Tangelo Pearl 1300C ( Fastest Color)/ 00 Vulcan Nomad 1500 in super slow Black
    http://www.bdscycles.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy-E View Post
    I agree with all above. Have you ever did the fan ground fix? Green ground wire by fan, unbolt it, remove paint on frame where it grounds to, reconnect it.
    Now that you mention I have not heard the fan coming on ????
    04 1300 Retro, Vance and Hines Big shots,Mustang wide touring seat,Scootworks Phat II risers,Mutazu RS bags, Memphis Shades Batwing

I use a non contact infra or infa red thermomer, handy little gagdet on heavy equip repair and bikes to check temps. I carry it with me on most rides.

If you hear a miss on big engines, just check exhaust temps to isolate it to which cylinder, whole lot easier than the old ways, of pulling exhaust manifold to find the cold one.

Works on bikes, I checked temps before and after switching oils, interesting results. Considerably cooler engine and trans temps.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.