Honda VTX Forum banner

Bought a 1988 Electra Glide

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  ED winegarner 
#1 ·
As the title states I purchased a 1988 Electra Glide this past weekend. I love the older bikes and needed something bigger than my 76 Sportster to haul my fat ass around on. I also have the 1800 VTX and as another touring bike I have to compare them some and this is what I have found in my short time to compare. The VTX is quieter, faster (by far), handles 2 up much better. The Electra Glide has a better sound, is very comfortable with one person and seems to have a more balanced weight distribution. I will be keeping the VTX for long trips and cruising with my wife but I think the Electra Glide is gonna be a blast to ride by myself. Here's a pic from the dealers when I bought it I will post new pics as I clean it up and make it pretty again.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories

See less See more
#9 ·
FLTCI

I have a 82 FLTC,rode it for years have pictures in my profile then got a vtx 1300 for my wife she did not want it. So I started riding it spent like a million dollars getting that 1300 just like I wanted it Then road a friends 1800 sold the 1300 and found a 1800. have not started the harley in 2 years but this winter I will be working on it Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

#10 ·
As the title states I purchased a 1988 Electra Glide this past weekend. I love the older bikes and needed something bigger than my 76 Sportster to haul my fat ass around on. I also have the 1800 VTX and as another touring bike I have to compare them some and this is what I have found in my short time to compare. The VTX is quieter, faster (by far), handles 2 up much better. The Electra Glide has a better sound, is very comfortable with one person and seems to have a more balanced weight distribution. I will be keeping the VTX for long trips and cruising with my wife but I think the Electra Glide is gonna be a blast to ride by myself. Here's a pic from the dealers when I bought it I will post new pics as I clean it up and make it pretty again.

View attachment 53921 View attachment 53922
Hey Steve! Nice score! Ride it to the restaurant when we meet In a few weeks!

#12 ·
that is nice i also like em older the better

how much was it if you don't mind me asking
They had $4299 on it and I got if for $2620 +title taxes tags and fees

Hey Steve! Nice score! Ride it to the restaurant when we meet In a few weeks!

Will do Fran as long as I have the new tires on by then I should put them on the week before you get here.

#15 ·
They had $4299 on it and I got if for $2620 +title taxes tags and fees

Will do Fran as long as I have the new tires on by then I should put them on the week before you get here.
You got one hell of a deal!! Even @ $4'299 wasn't bad for a full dresser like that. Good thing is they have very little change looks wise from the newer ones and you can do more with it. Nice find for sure

#16 ·
You got one hell of a deal!! Even @ $4'299 wasn't bad for a full dresser like that. Good thing is they have very little change looks wise from the newer ones and you can do more with it. Nice find for sure
I have been working on cleaning it up, the pics show the black saddle bags and they were done so poorly that I have been able to scrape (yes scrape) all the black paint off and buffed the original finish up to look really nice I will post some pics when I get it back together. I can't wait to drive it back to the dealer and show them how it turned out I have been friends with the salesman for you year or so now and he can't wait either.

#17 ·
I have been working on cleaning it up, the pics show the black saddle bags and they were done so poorly that I have been able to scrape (yes scrape) all the black paint off and buffed the original finish up to look really nice I will post some pics when I get it back together. I can't wait to drive it back to the dealer and show them how it turned out I have been friends with the salesman for you year or so now and he can't wait either.
:thumbup: can't wait to see the updates either

#18 ·
Good thing is they have very little change looks wise from the newer ones and you can do more with it. Nice find for sure
They all look a LOT alike. Makes the old ones more desirable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.