NCAA College Football . . . a playoff in 2014!!!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NCAA College Football . . . a playoff in 2014!!!

Bartlett, TN AKA "The FLAT side of the state"

Default NCAA College Football . . . a playoff in 2014!!!

Well it's still a couple years away from being a reality, but the Conference Commish's have FINALLY all pulled their collective heads outta their arse's and decided in 2014 there will be a 4 team playoff (Most often refered to as the Plus One System), Yipppeeee!!

I say, it's about darn time . . . . and before anyone starts bashing or asking a bunch of questions, read this . . . .

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...p&sct=hp_wr_a1

So all the Big 12, Pac 12, and Big 10 fans can take a breath, better news is on it's way and you won't have to hate all over the SEC in a couple years . . .

Proud Mid-South Member #7 (Formally known as the Tennessee Forum)
    2003 VTX1800R - Gone
    2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
    2004 VTX1800C - Gone

2013 HD Road Glide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Thats very nice. What will they do with only 4 teams? Make sure the conference champs from the big 4 conferences all get in? Its a start I guess.

They could do a 16 team playoff just as easily. Sure, the teams would get a few more games. It doesn't hurt the lower division teams a bit, they ain't complaining as they advance week after week.

The lower Bowls become hosting sites for these playoffs, people might even watch them then. I'm sorry, but no 6-5 team should EVER play in a bowl, and thats half of them today.

2003 Retro 1800 Blurple Throbber
    Ironbutt Rider, DRAGON-tamer

No, not exactly . . . 1 plays 3, and 2 plays 4 at the end of the season . . . doesn't matter which conference they are from . . . and then the winner takes all from those games . . . the issue still up in the air is whether they use "Other" bowl games for those playoff games, or do they use some neutral site, or do they simply use the campus sites for the playoff games . . . these are the cogs they still have to work out.

I'm not sure we'll ever see a 16 team playoff simply because it will push College Football into February to complete that, and THAT isn't gonna happen.

And I agree with a 6-5 team NOT getting awarded to play in a bowl game, but there are simply SOO many teams and SOO many lower tier bowl games that currently occupy this "Air" it's gonna be a slug-fest to get all the details ironed out.

2003 VTX1800R - Gone
    2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
    2004 VTX1800C - Gone

Glennok

Only the top four teams? What a cop out. Should be eight teams, minimum.

The rankings are so subjective that actually the eighth rated team might be the best. It would also eliminate the ESPN/SEC connection where ESPN can control the BCS through their poll.

I've been saying since before last season that the School AD's and Presidents WOULD NOT allow college football to go past January 9th . . . with the current line-up/schedule there is no way to accomodate that with anything BUT a Plus 1 System (Top 4 Team Playoff's).

Everyone OUTSIDE the SEC likes to point fingers at ESPN and the SEC Commish, but schools like Texas, and Notre Dame have TV Stations and Execs in their back pocket as well, so what to do about all that is a different discussion.

Believe me, I don't think a Plus 1 is the end-all-to-beat-all answer, but it beats the heck outta what we have right now, can I get an Amen!

I also DO NOT like the whole AQ Auto Bid crap that seems to muddy up the waters every year, but I don't see that going away anytime soon either.

Think of this . . . IF the Plus 1 System was in place last year (This past January) Okie State would have had a real and viable chance to get into the National Championship Game . . .

2003 VTX1800R - Gone
    2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
    2004 VTX1800C - Gone

12 conferences and only 4 will play in the playoffs. Same ***** different toilet. True playoff with the top 4 teams getting a bye in the first round and then let it roll.
    A country born out of revolution can only mature through revolution.

06' 1300
    Candy Orange, Sumo X 240, Desmog, Mr. Freze mod, JDub extentions, Clayton mod...still underconstruction.

True dat . . . on the 12 conferences, but we all know in reality there are only 6 conferences that the NCAA voters take seriously, sorry Conference USA, sorry Mountain West!

Top 4 out of the current AQ Conferences . . . if they would truly get rid of the AQ I think it might help, but the big problem is people/fans are NOT going to want to see a 12-1 Miami (OH) team play a 10-2 Oklahoma Team for a chance to go to the NC Game! Only the fans of THOSE schools, and a few curious bystanders are going to care . . . everyone else will just assume OK will DESTROY Miami (OH) so why watch it?

Although I'm not a big fan of all the conference alignment, and creation of the "Super Conferences" it does eliminate people p!ssing and moaning about 12-0 TCU getting shut out of the National Championship picture while 2 SEC Schools, or 2 schools from ANY one conference playing each other for all the bragging rights.

It might also force some of these smaller, less noticed conference schools to schedule some of the big boys and see exactly where they line up (i.e. Boise State, Nevada, Appalachian State, and TCU). Does anyone seriously believe a 12-1 Richmond School, beating up their competition in the Colonial Athletic Conference would stand a chance against an Alabama Team that plays almost all the SEC Schools AND teams like Michigan and West Virginia in their non-conference games???

As stated . . . a Plus 1 system is NOT the total answer, but at least the Conference Commish's from the Big 10 and the PAC 12 finally decided to do SOMETHING!!!

2003 VTX1800R - Gone
    2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
    2004 VTX1800C - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoeJarhead View Post
    . . 1 plays 3, and 2 plays 4 at the end of the season . . . .
    Under this scenario finishing 2nd overall would then have a advantage over number one

It should be .....1 vs 4 ...... 2 vs 3
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=950

And it may end up being that, I don't believe (from what I have read) that anything is truly set in stone, yet. The Conference Commish's, the school AD's and Presidents all have a little while to finalize anything . . . there is still a possibility of a 7 Team Playoff at the end of the season . . . I think it's pretty un-realistic it will happen, but with NCAA Football and the amount of $$$$$ it generates, who knows what might happen!

2003 VTX1800R - Gone
    2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
    2004 VTX1800C - Gone

True dat . . . on the 12 conferences, but we all know in reality there are only 6 conferences that the NCAA voters take seriously, sorry Conference USA, sorry Mountain West!

Top 4 out of the current AQ Conferences . . . if they would truly get rid of the AQ I think it might help, but the big problem is people/fans are NOT going to want to see a 12-1 Miami (OH) team play a 10-2 Oklahoma Team for a chance to go to the NC Game! Only the fans of THOSE schools, and a few curious bystanders are going to care . . . everyone else will just assume OK will DESTROY Miami (OH) so why watch it?

Although I'm not a big fan of all the conference alignment, and creation of the "Super Conferences" it does eliminate people p!ssing and moaning about 12-0 TCU getting shut out of the National Championship picture while 2 SEC Schools, or 2 schools from ANY one conference playing each other for all the bragging rights.

It might also force some of these smaller, less noticed conference schools to schedule some of the big boys and see exactly where they line up (i.e. Boise State, Nevada, Appalachian State, and TCU). Does anyone seriously believe a 12-1 Richmond School, beating up their competition in the Colonial Athletic Conference would stand a chance against an Alabama Team that plays almost all the SEC Schools AND teams like Michigan and West Virginia in their non-conference games???

As stated . . . a Plus 1 system is NOT the total answer, but at least the Conference Commish's from the Big 10 and the PAC 12 finally decided to do SOMETHING!!!
    Yessir, I agree! Maybe they could do like pro sports and get rid of the conferences and do a regional thing.
    A country born out of revolution can only mature through revolution.

06' 1300
    Candy Orange, Sumo X 240, Desmog, Mr. Freze mod, JDub extentions, Clayton mod...still underconstruction.

So all the Big 12, Pac 12, and Big 10 fans can take a breath, better news is on it's way and you won't have to hate all over the SEC in a couple years . . .
    Funny stuff. Didn't know you were that big on comedy.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Nothing like exploiting free labor. And people support it, amazing.
    We can walk our road together, If our goals are all the same. We can run alone and free, If we pursue a different aim.
    Let the truth of love be lighted. Let the love of truth shine clear. Sensibility, Armed with sense and liberty. With the heart and mind united in a single. Perfect. Sphere. Neal Peart

Quote Originally Posted by Glennok View Post
    Only the top four teams? What a cop out. Should be eight teams, minimum.

The rankings are so subjective that actually the eighth rated team might be the best. It would also eliminate the ESPN/SEC connection where ESPN can control the BCS through their poll.
    I agree it could easily be an eight team playoff. However, a four teams playoff is much better than the way it is done now.
    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas!
    States I've visited on a MC

'04 VTX1800C, magenta dress
    '06 Goldwing, dark red comfort package

no matter what they do they will NEVER make every one happy. but hey at least it's a start.
    texasmike
    1300c 8 degree rake, cobra pipes, c&c seat, darkside and lots more

NC what
    2011 HD RGU (Sweeeeet), Rineharts (true dual), Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, Stage 1 intake
    2005 VTX 1300C (Gone May 2010)
    2003 VTX 1800C, Kuryakyn H-Charger, PCIII, V&H Bigshots (where'd the baffles go), backrest, and Arlen Ness Mirrors. (Gone Mar 2012)
    Various years, makes, and colors of 50-850cc bikes since 1967
    BLACK - The FASTER color.
    PGR Member

I kinda like it how it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, One was Jesus Christ, the other is the American Soldier"

07 1800F
    REAR WHEEL NUMBERS: 99 hp 117 torque

Four team playoff is absurd and would prove less than just voting, like it was 20 yrs ago.
    I think the current system is fine, except they need to be far more emphasis on strength of schedule, like it use to be.
    Maybe even take away the CP and assign the voting to someone that will/can pay attention to some of the teams.
    If they want to make it so that a team that loses their conference championship can not play in a NC game, then fine, make it for all teams.
    4 team playoff is only going to prove that they are missing another 4 teams, at minimum!
    2012 Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Vivid Black; so far; windshield and sissy bar, SE slip-ons, Fatboy shifter linkage, chrome fender tips, chrome dash bezel, Kuryakan ISO grips and throttle boss with spiked tips, HD headlight bezel, amny more chrome pieces.......... http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/jakson200369/

16 teams in the playoff. Shorten the regular season to only 10 games. Top 16 are some conf. champs and some at larges. first two weeks play back to back, championship is two weeks later just like super bowl. Use the lesser bowls as hosting sites for regional playoffs if possible.

This would generate BILLIONS in revenue.

In football winning your conference would mean everything! It may cut back on difficult non-conf games. Or not...

In D3 where I played, my school, UW-Whitewater (reigning 3 time natl champs and also hoops champs) has a bear of a time getting schools to play them non-conf. Most D3 schools are in the East Coast or Midwest. Travel budgets are tight. They know a loss in region hurts their potential seeding come playoff time, and they know Whitewater will thump them. Ultimately, making the playoffs is the top goal. Losing your conference and a non-conf game can effectively kill your season. In D1, it seem everyone gets to play in a lousy bowl. Its a joke that celebrates mediocrity. Making the playoffs should be extremely lucrative.

D1 is a different animal with crazy monies available to them. They play on a national stage. The SEC is daring all comers to stop them but nobody has for a while.

2003 Retro 1800 Blurple Throbber
    Ironbutt Rider, DRAGON-tamer

Take the champion team from each conference and pick 4 teams based on highest average grade point average for each team. Then pick the first round match up using rock, paper scissors.

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler

Well, shortening the regular season to accomodate a bigger, broader playoff might be a viable trade off, but I cannot see it happening . . . too many people with too much money at stake. Even taking a hit in the short term to create bigger and better chances at big $$$ long term probably wouldn't change their minds.

It has always amazed me how D2 and D3 have been having playoffs and true National Champs for years, but D1 cannot seem to get it right . . . . . althought it really shouldn't, because as we ALL know, it's about the $$$$$$

I think if they can get rid of the AQ conference garbage and adopt a Plus 1 playoff system for at least 2 or 3 years to see how it works out, it's a major step in a positive direction . . . fingers crossed . . . still hoping . . . .

. . . and as to the SEC being top dawg, while it is true, and I am a HUGE SEC fan, I also believe College Football, and NCAA Sports in general tend to be cyclic, so while the SEC is currently making everyone look funny at playing for 2nd place, things can change in a hurry . . . . proud schools like Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, and Washington (just to name a few) are not going to stay down forever and let the SEC schools continue to embarrass them . . .

2003 VTX1800R - Gone
    2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
    2004 VTX1800C - Gone

I like a 6 team proposal. First and Second place teams get a first round 'by'. 3rd plays 6th and the winner takes on 2nd
    4th plays 5th, and the winnner takes on first. Then, it's head to head for the two remaining teams. Three consecutive weekends, and you are done... easily fits before New Year's Day.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

6 team playoff would definitely be better, even a Plus 1 System still has a chance to leave someone out, especially if they decide to keep the AQ Garbage!

Problem is trying to get it all done before January 9th would be really hard!!

There is NO, as in ZERO chance of getting rid of any of the current bowl games, and little to NO chance of getting rid of the conference affiliations to those games (i.e Rose Bowl - Pac12 -vs- Big 10) . . . with needing at least a 4 - 6 day break between games, and again, little to NO chance of the conferences voting to shorten the regular season, I don't know if they could get this done.

Another problem they run into, and are debating now (hopefully) is if they keep the AQ qualifiers (and currently there is ZERO talk of doing away with it) AND they use conference champs, records and strength of schedule as determinants for who makes that Top 4, how do they determine which team REALLY deserves it? Last year is the best example so far . . . Alabama doesn't even make their Conference Championship Game, because last year the SEC West was SOOO dominate, they literally had 3 teams in the Top 10 at the end of the year! And even though Georgia DID make the championship game, EVERYONE in the country knew 'Bama was a better team!

And then add in the fact that the Big East did not have ANY teams in the Top 10 at the end of the season, does anyone really believe West VA deserved to get a Top 4 Bid and get a shot at the National Championship, while teams like Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon DID not and get to go play in some "Who Cares Bowl Game??"

There are so many factors that go into these things, there is no simple answer

2003 VTX1800R - Gone
    2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
    2004 VTX1800C - Gone

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.