VTX1800F Spec 1 - Which Crashbar / Engine Guard should I get?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VTX1800F Spec 1 - Which Crashbar / Engine Guard should I get?

Default VTX1800F Spec 1 - Which Crashbar / Engine Guard should I get?

All,
    Looking for other 1800F owners that have mounted a crashbar on their ride. I prefer the wider ones, not the ones that offer very little room for your feet. I have size 13 / wide feet and the last thing I want is something to get in my way. So I am looking for recommendations for crashbars for my specific model.. Again, it is a 2005 VTX1800F Spec 1.
    I appreciate any input so I can make an informed decision by this weekend.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default Crash bar

Quote Originally Posted by IMLU View Post
    All,
    Looking for other 1800F owners that have mounted a crashbar on their ride. I prefer the wider ones, not the ones that offer very little room for your feet. I have size 13 / wide feet and the last thing I want is something to get in my way. So I am looking for recommendations for crashbars for my specific model.. Again, it is a 2005 VTX1800F Spec 1.
    I appreciate any input so I can make an informed decision by this weekend.
    Thanks!

I wish Cobra would make a "fatty" for the f model!
    06 VTX 1800F

2006 1800F

Thumbs up

I put the Paladin Hwy Bar made by National on my 2005 1800F and have loved them ever since. Good quality and they mount to the frame on top and bottom. No mounting to the radiator mount like other mfgr's. Been very pleased.
    http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...el=hd%2d107%22
    2005 VTX 1800F Spec 1, Candy Black Cherry w/Ultimate Midrider seats, Kury iso grips, Kury pilot pegs & passenger floorboards, 6" Aeromach risers, Ledom's custom exhaust mod, Kury Pro-R HC, PAIR & desmog, LeatherLyke bags, National Switchblade w/s & crash bars, Cobra chrome, Cobra chrome, Cobra chrome

Quote Originally Posted by vultimate04 View Post
    I put the Paladin Hwy Bar made by National on my 2005 1800F and have loved them ever since. Good quality and they mount to the frame on top and bottom. No mounting to the radiator mount like other mfgr's. Been very pleased.
    Thanks for the input.. If I add NationalCycle Lowers, will it clear this crashbar? And the other concern I have is that I see they claim an "exceptional ground clearance " which I hear can be a problem for effectivness of a motorycle laydown / fall. Have you tried to lay your bike on the bars to see if the bars will effectivly hold the bike up without damage?
    If these two are not a concern, then I will get them. Thanks bunch!

MC Enterprises. They have a forward sweep at the bottom for foot room
    item 1000-19 fits the C should fit the F and they are 1.25"

Mine held up in a 30 mph laydown crash and highside ( hit diesel spill on wet offramp) with very minimal bending.
    Last edited by NDAna; 05-25-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. Now have H4 LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

And Oh by the way, I keep seeing that the P4009 is for 2006 -2009 1800F.. Wonder why?
    Example: http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/na...action=fitment

Not sure about the fitment as you should get the right model bars to match the year of your bike. As for laying down protection, I have set the bike down (nobody likes to admit that but you asked) on the bars twice and the bike rests nicely on the bars and the angle of the bike is such that you can lift it up yourself, although you will strain a nut doing so...damn X is a beast. Anyways, great protection and mounted very securely to the frame top and bottom alike.
    2005 VTX 1800F Spec 1, Candy Black Cherry w/Ultimate Midrider seats, Kury iso grips, Kury pilot pegs & passenger floorboards, 6" Aeromach risers, Ledom's custom exhaust mod, Kury Pro-R HC, PAIR & desmog, LeatherLyke bags, National Switchblade w/s & crash bars, Cobra chrome, Cobra chrome, Cobra chrome

Quote Originally Posted by NDAna View Post
    MC Enterprises. They have a forward sweep at the bottom for foot room
    item 1000-19 fits the C should fit the F and they are 1.25"

Mine held up in a 30 mph laydown crash and highside ( hit diesel spill on wet offramp) with very minimal bending.
    Any chance of an up close photo? You can send it to me directly at djmegahertz@pobox.com
    Thanks

The other concern with this bar is a comment I read posted on directline.. "terrible cleareance from shifter to bar i have a 10 1/2 size shoe and the front
    of my boots hit the bars,unless you have tiny feet dont waste your money,go with cobra or something else" Do you have any issues like this guy mentions? I have size 13 feet and am concerned that this might an issue.. I wonder if maybe he had some custom shifter?

Quote Originally Posted by IMLU View Post
    Any chance of an up close photo? You can send it to me directly at djmegahertz@pobox.com
    Thanks
    IMLU...I just sent you 5 pics, 3 of shifter side and 2 of the brake side. See emails for more details. Hope those help.

Here is a photo of my bike which is a 2003 VTX C model with retro fenders that I installed myself.
    The crash guard on my bike is an MC Enterprises engine guard made for the C model which should fit your F model.
    Note how the bar goes almost straight down and then sweeps back.
    This leaves plenty of room for big feet or for forward controls or floorboards to be installed.
    This crashbar is a one piece loop with the opening across the bottom.
    The MC Enterprises crashbar for the R/S/N model is a one piece loop with the opening across the top
    so that the crashguard does not dent the front fender under extreme braking conditions.

My Retro front fender has a dent in it behind the fork tubes because I kept the C model crashguard.
    I do not think I would have dented the front fender if I had left the stock C model fender in place
    or if I had installed the heavier duty Progressive Suspensions fork springs before my incident.
    The dent is of no consequence on my bike since the C model tire and rim are smaller in diameter
    than an R model tire and rim.

The only downside to this crashbar is that it is not as big as the Cobra fatties.
    I prefer the one piece crash bars over the two piece crashbars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Coyote7864; 05-28-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: add bigger photo
    2003 VTX1800 C model Retro fenders

Default Yes Sir

Remember folks they are all just hollow chrome tubing and will fold up like a cheap suit...Unless you fill them with cement... Sorry just had too...... I have the lynbys and have fallen over at a dead stop a couple times and just scratched the chrome... and bent the right side once up at Devils Tower and trapped my leg under the bike and had to have a couple passerbys lift the bike offa me... They are more for (pretty) then for being actual (case savers).. I cal the scratches and dings (Hash marks) and proud of em....

Default crash bar

I have the MC. Plenty of room for my 13 foot. Pretty sturdy. Order fo a C model. I did have to change my radiator scoop to a square cover.

I installed the Paladin Bars. Love them. Tipped it in my driveway, (accidentally), and was easy to pick it up. Bars kept it from going all the way down. Paladins are somewhat easy to install. A little tight installation around the radiator, but doable if you take your time. Just have to be smarter than the bars! Toes are a bit tight, but you get used to it.
    Last edited by nascarpop; 05-29-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Clocks4Bikes clock and Thermometer.
    Remember, YOU ARE INVISIBLE!!!! Ride safely!!
    2003 VTX1800C, Paladin Engine Bars, Viking Saddlebags, Ghost Brackets,
    Cobra Floorboards, River Road Back Bag, Rifle Windscreen

Washington State, just north of Libtardistan!

I have Palidins on my 05F3 and they work great and look good too.
    Sons Of Liberty Riders
    President, Washington State Chapter.
    We are Freedom Loving Constitutional Road Warriors & Swashbucklers!
    Check out our website: www.sonsoflibertyriders.com
    Here's our Sons Of Liberty Riders YouTube Video:

Official F Troop Member!
    05 1800F3, Darkside with too many mods to list!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.