Honda VTX Forum banner

Love the X but hate the tail light, Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Denniston13 
#1 ·
Like I stated in title I Love 1300 R and everything about it except the tail light!! Does anybody know of and after maker that you can replace it with? or any modification to change the appearance?

#4 ·
I was somewhat in the same boat. Loved the 1800c but wasn't a fan of the rear fender/taillight. I found one with a custom fender already on it. Custom rear fenders are 600 or so plus paint. relocate the taillight and the license plate and away you go. Here's a pic of the back of mine for reference.
I have the radiantz light like yours. Looks good recessed and very bright.

Routemanj

#5 ·
Less boring improvement. . .

I took the Hawk cover and painted it with a chevron design:

#7 ·
Just go to E-Bay and enter VTX - you'll get plenty of options for a different tail light. Good hunting...........

#11 ·
Just go to E-Bay and enter VTX - you'll get plenty of options for a different tail light. Good hunting...........

I would clarify the above by saying there are other options, but not many. The primary limitation is the fact that the taillight housing is recessed into the fender and so whatever you do short of replacing the fender, has to fit into this cutout.

My point being, if you want a different shape than the recess, you're out of luck. If you want a smoked lense, they are available or a different light bulb setup (e.g. LED) but that's about it from what I've seen out there.

#12 ·
hey house o' pain I was wondering. when you put on your bags did u modify the rear turn signals? I have an 02 1800 r and mine seem to stick out farther and im afraid when the new bags I ordered come in they wont fit with out changing them somehow.

on another note. if u go to the kuryakyn sight they make a universal low profile tombstone tail light. put in your bikes year and model to make sure it will fit but they say it will fit mine. there are two models on with the turn signal bar and one without. I believe the one with the turn signal bar is discontinued but I did see one on ebay still.

I think the best looking one ive seen Is the clear lense with a red bulb or led and the chrome decorative cover. that's in mho :)

#13 ·
hey house o' pain I was wondering. when you put on your bags did u modify the rear turn signals? I have an 02 1800 r and mine seem to stick out farther and im afraid when the new bags I ordered come in they wont fit with out changing them somehow.

on another note. if u go to the kuryakyn sight they make a universal low profile tombstone tail light. put in your bikes year and model to make sure it will fit but they say it will fit mine. there are two models on with the turn signal bar and one without. I believe the one with the turn signal bar is discontinued but I did see one on ebay still.

I think the best looking one ive seen Is the clear lense with a red bulb or led and the chrome decorative cover. that's in mho :)

You may get lucky and not need to get new rear turn signals with your bags (I had to get a lower profile signal) but honestly, I think the stock signals look ugly compared to the other options out there. I checked out the Kury tombstone tail light and it looks good, but I prefer what I have. I'm a fan of the retro look, so clear lenses are too much of a deviation from the old school look of a red tail light to me, but if you like it, go for it.

#16 ·
I took the Hawk cover and painted it with a chevron design:
Did you have to do any alterations or modifications on your Highway Hawk cover to get it to lay down so nice and flush? I just got mine today and it does not sit down and meet the original chrome trim around the light very well. I don't think heating it is a solution and still make it look like something.

#17 ·
I know this won't help you much since I don't believe you wanno go as far as replacing the rear fender, but...this is what I did...

Light Font Helmet Motorcycle accessories Metal

Since I went with a custom rear fender, I could put on just about any light I wanted to. I bought this for it's retro look, and am gonna put it on the rear like the pic show. I know almost all the guys here like the streamlined look with everything frenched in, but I like the old style look and feel it evens out the rear as compared to the front. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol.

#18 ·
Did you have to do any alterations or modifications on your Highway Hawk cover to get it to lay down so nice and flush? I just got mine today and it does not sit down and meet the original chrome trim around the light very well. I don't think heating it is a solution and still make it look like something.

Mine also didn't lay down as flush as I wanted, but I got a razor blade and trimmed the inner 'lip' of the cover so it would snug down better. That inner lip/edge is what holds the cover away from the lense so cutting it down a little will allow the cover to snug closer to the lense. Check all inside the cover to ensure no plastic is holding the cover higher off the stock lense than necessary. Make sure you tighten the mounting bolts all the way snug too.

#19 ·
One of the reasons I bought a vtx (besides the fact that the price was affordable for me) is because I looked at a lot of bikes and they always had a thing or two about their looks that I didn't like. That is normal. However I have never been able to find anything... not a single thing, that I don't like about the way a stock vtx looks. Of course, they look good a multitude of other ways as well. But the x looks great even without changing a thing. The motor looks perfect, the fenders are perfect the headlight and taillight are too. (Just my opinion) It's as if the people who designed the x had my brain in their heads. I don't know how it happened. Of course, I like a lot of other bikes also.... Yamahas Suzikis Victorys Indians and Harleys....

#20 ·
Yea...I like that a lot. To my mind you're on the right track with that look! Nice PShop also! That'll be a very nice looking ride. =)

I know this won't help you much since I don't believe you wanno go as far as replacing the rear fender, but...this is what I did...

View attachment 58686

Since I went with a custom rear fender, I could put on just about any light I wanted to. I bought this for it's retro look, and am gonna put it on the rear like the pic show. I know almost all the guys here like the streamlined look with everything frenched in, but I like the old style look and feel it evens out the rear as compared to the front. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.