Honda VTX Forum banner

2005 VTX 1800S Fuel Pump Problems

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Duke_152 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm having some problem getting my VTX to start. In April I went to get it out of storage. It started up nicely. I let it run for about a minute and then shut it off. Now when I try to start it, it won't start. I did some checks on other boards on here and narrowed it down to 3 things: Spark plugs, bad fuel or my fuel pump. So I did a recommended quick check on the fuel pump. I had the ignition turned on and flipped the kill switch off then back on. I listened for the wind up off the fuel pump and only heard a click and no wind up. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Do I have a bad fuel pump or is something else possibly causing it not to work?

#2 ·
you do NOT start a fuel injected engine and quickly turn it off..

NO Choke.. only way for fuel injection to start a cold engine is Very Rich mixture to start....

most likely fouled spark plugs..

and trying to restart Cold engine... again a Very Rich Mixture to Restart... Fouled plugs.

and recharge the battery.. also check battery cable bolts.. VTX are WELL known to loosen them...

Use a wrench or a socket.. NOT a screwdriver...

#3 ·
I was thinking it might be fouled plugs also but then I checked for the wind up on my fuel pump and have only heard a click so I feel it isn't getting gas. Also I never started it and then quickly turned it off. It had already settled into its idle and then I shut it off. I'm hoping that it is only fouled out plugs as that is an easy and inexpensive fix.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the plugs a try and see what happens

#4 ·
Did the FI light ever come on??
FI light and fuel pump prime are a must.
Any signs of rodents in your storage place?
Check the Main 30 A fuses, one is lighting and starting, the other feeds the Engine Stop Relay
which power to ALL of the FI system.
A test lamp or voltmeter could be handy.

#5 ·
Yes the FI light comes on but it doesn't sound like the fuel pump is priming. Once I get done with work I'm going to check the fuses as I am also hoping it is just one of those that is blown. There has been issues with rodents in the place I stored my bike so I checked the air filter to make sure that wasn't clogged up and it was clean still. When I check the fuzes I'm going to check the wiring a little closer. I just don't know what to make of it as I can hear a click each time I switch my kill switch off and on coming from near the fuel pump.

Again thanks everyone so far for any info that you have suggested.

#7 ·
once the fuel rail is to PSI the pump shuts off so if the rail still had the proper PSI the pump will not start up again till PSI drops.

so let it sit for awhile then hit key again and listen

#8 ·
Charlie--I have not seen a thing that tells the ECM about fuel rail pressure.
As for as I know it primes at every Ign switch turn on...
Try it and report back..
Give it a few seconds before trying again

#9 ·
Charlie--I have not seen a thing that tells the ECM about fuel rail pressure.
As for as I know it primes at every Ign switch turn on...
Try it and report back..
Give it a few seconds before trying again
just remember reading pump shuts off after prime then turns back on as needed, this is on the 03 with pump in tank

#12 ·
A few years back I encountered a similar problem with a no start. I poured over the wiring diagrams. Even though the main relay made it's normal click sound it never actually made contact inside. Could happen to either relay (they are the same). rear one powers up sensors etc.. front one piggy backs off the rear and powers up the fuel pump. I installed a New relay and today the bike is still running fine.

warren

#13 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. After working on it for a couple hours testing things out we figured out that one of the relays was bad. It was strange as we were getting power to connection going to the pump but once I tried the trick of switching the 2 relays around like I saw on another chat board it started to prime again. I'm just happy that it was a simple relay rather then a fuel pump.

Thanks again for everyone's help on different ideas to try out to troubleshoot my problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.