Honda VTX Forum banner

Oil Filters

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  pirateonavtx 
#1 ·
I am curious about the oil filters mention for the VTX's. Are the Purolater automobile oil filters really that good? The reason I ask is I see some real savings in using that filter. I was at WalMart today and the Bosch 3300 was almost 12 bucks, but the Purolater was only $3.27!! Now I am assuming I was looking at the right filter. There was no PL14612, all the Purolater filters started with an "L" only, the L14612 Purolater looked like it was the one. I would really like some feedback on this one.

Thanks

Bill

#2 ·
No way in hell you need a $12.00 filter. Buy the 14612 and ride. Purolator is just fine. Only one I hear complants about is Fram but then they are one of the biggest and have been around for a LONG time.

#3 ·
Yeah cavie, that is some good savings, enough to pay for one quart of Mobil 1 full synthetic!!!

#5 ·
How much longer is it Bull?

#8 ·
#12 ·
I don't think the 1/2 inch will be a problem on the 1300, there isn't a lot of room but I think 1/2" is doable

#13 ·
I bought a purolator Pl 14610 for my 2002 1800c couple weeks ago and it was to long. Reservoir was in the way, noway it was going on.
No sooner do I make note of the filter number to try the Purolator this year and this....does it fit the 1800 or not?:confused:

#16 ·
I used the longer Purolator and thought what the heck, more media, less pressure drop. It was great until it came time to change. My filter wrench wouldnt quit fit....had to mod the sucker. So now that I have a modded wrench, I use whichever I can get a deal on..........pl14610 0r pl14612.

#17 ·
Heffy is that a 1300 or an 1800 bike?

#19 ·
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/filterXRef.html

The Pure One PL 14610 or PL 14612 (short) are the best for the money. I have no trouble installing the long one (10) on my 1300. These are not the same quality as Purolator. Pure Ones are top quality. From different web sites where some actual research was done, this is one of the sites, state the Purolator is a cheapie made overseas by the same people making the other cheap ones. From what I have read if you use the L numbered ones you might as well use any of the cheap ones.

Bosch and Mobil One filters are good but part of the price is in the spelling of the name.:lol:

I can bet the official Honda filter is not of the highest quality. Remember, the lowest bidder gets the job. I do use the PL 14610 but IMO along with my experience if you change oil and filter often it will not matter in normal use.

There are several sites about filters, motorcycle filters, testing filters, & cross references that I have ran across. Do a search and become confused.

Oh, the same with oils.

#20 ·
Thanks Leroy
I can get the PL14610 or 612 in the gold box for 7 bucks at Advance Auto, I paid 16 plus for a K&N before I did any research. I think 7 bucks for a 610 is going to be the best bang for the buck. I don't want to cut corners in that dept.

I put in T6 Rotella this last go-round. I think when I hit 3000 miles on it I am going to go with the Mobile 1 full synthetic. It is not cheap, at 9.95 a quart, but I think the added miles between changes and the protection if offers equals out. I would love to buy Amsoil but I just don't have a convenient way to get hold of it.

Bill

#21 ·
One large site "Bob is the Oil Guy" has a few threads about Purolator oil filters. They seem to have found tearing issues with the filter media.
I have been using them, but went with a overly priced Honda filter on the last oil change.

#23 ·
Thanks Leroy
I can get the PL14610 or 612 in the gold box for 7 bucks at Advance Auto, I paid 16 plus for a K&N before I did any research. I think 7 bucks for a 610 is going to be the best bang for the buck. I don't want to cut corners in that dept.

I put in T6 Rotella this last go-round. I think when I hit 3000 miles on it I am going to go with the Mobile 1 full synthetic. It is not cheap, at 9.95 a quart, but I think the added miles between changes and the protection if offers equals out. I would love to buy Amsoil but I just don't have a convenient way to get hold of it.

Bill

Have you tried to get up with Spike on this forum? He sells Amsoil.

#24 ·
#26 ·
The Purolator Motorcycle is made oversees. Not recommended by www.calsci.com

The PL and L 14612 are made in Fayetteville, NC per the info on the box.

Hans thanks for correcting me. Yes, it is the MC Purolator that is made overseas. Sorry bout that. I had my head up my .... I try not to give out false info. Don't want to be confused with politician. The PL is suppose to be better quality than the L.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.