Honda VTX Forum banner

Just a few questions about new bike plans

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Duke 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new to the board and also new to the Honda VTX1300. I just bought a 2005 Honda VTX 1300R and I am spending the rest of my winter making plans on what I would like to add to my ride. Just wondering any thoughts or recommendations for me? I would like to add a cruise control, highway pegs, p3 light bars, brighter headlight bulb and modulator, and blue accent lights for night effects. The bike already has a bat wing fairing, driving light bar, chrome highway bars, sissy bar, and saddle bags. I am unsure on a few technical things like is the factory headlight a halogen bulb? I would like to get a really bright bulb with lower watts because I am worried about the draw on the alternator with the headlight, headlight modulator, driving lights, p3 tail lights, and accent lights. Any advice is appreciated on parts recommended or warnings of what to stay away from is greatly appreciated thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome.
There is a member on this board who I believe is NDANA or something like that. He sells HID light kits and recently added LED headlight kits. I have not used his products, but he gets high marks from those who have. Either option will brighten your headlight and lower the current used to light it up. (there are other kits available from other sources as well.)

This bike is generally rock solid. It does have some quirks. One being the headlight/start button. When you press the start button, your headlights go out by design. This is to allow more available current for your starter motor. When you release the starter button, your headlights turn back on. The design of this switch is a poor one. The contacts of the switch have a tendency to burn and fail, especially if any aftermarket lights have been added, unless they are ran through a relay instead of directly off of the switch. Even if no lights are added, this switch has a high instance of failure. There is an easy solution. (If you have any electrical abilities at all). Clean your start button and add a relay. If you don't have electrical knowledge don't panic. We have helped many members accomplish this who have no previous electrical experience.

Start by reading this link. It will tell you why this occurs and how to cure it. Feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions about this.
http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/starter.html

I don't think you can successfully add headlight modulator to HID lights. With LED headlight a modulator will work, however due to how LED's function it will actually turn on and off instead of dimming and brightening like standard lights will. Some have reported that motorists in front of the bike will sometimes pull over thinking that a cop is flashing them intentionally. One solution is to purchase an LED specific headlight modulator. Another solution that I am pondering is to hook headlights up as normal, but run my lightbar standard lights through my modulator. I haven't tried it yet, but that is my next mod. I will post up how that works after I do it.

Again welcome and don't ever be shy to ask questions, but we also expect you to post up your results and your ideas as well.

#3 ·
I want to Weclome you to VTXOA from another Pennsylvania member , were are you located ?
This is a good site for everything about your bike can't help you on the lights yet but that is my next mod

#5 ·
As for cruise control you just can't beat Vista Cruise throttle lock. About $35.00 the one I have is on my 2nd bike. A very good cheap headlight mod is a Sylvania Ultra H4 bulb. About $24.00. Bright white light. check out Glens VTX garage here on the site for Clutch pull relief. Also turn signal beeper kit.

#6 ·
Welcome aboard.....

THere are so many upgrades and add ons that are available...
Most are personal choices, some for performance many for looks & ease to Operator etc..

Look around the forum and find what catches your eye....
Its very addictive and will keep you broke and busy....

First check your bike and learn what has been done to it. From Carb Jetting to Airbox etc etc...
Glens vtx garage has some awesome add ons/upgrades. I have many of them myself.
Jetting the Carb is a great way to add some HP and great running options..

Check Dates on tires, if they are older then 5 yrs they become hard and dont grip very well and sidewalls crack (think sidewall blowout at high speed)!!!!!
Rear Shock bushings, All Balls Steering bearings, Progressive fork springs, I could go on & on....

#7 ·
As many personal choices as there are parts on the bike. I agree with what everyone else has said. One of the things you'll eventually get around to (if you haven't already) is an improved seat. You can go with Mustang or one of the other complete after-markets, or go with Mean City Cycle, who will rebuild and improve your existing stock seat. You'll have plenty of fun with your X, and adding things to it. I've had my bike for less than one year, have added at least 10 modifications to it, and am about a third of the way down my "wish" list. Welcome aboard.

#8 ·
Welcome from FL, I put Radlites from Amazon.com on mine, 8 pc kit, super bright and easy to wire. Cost about $30 with shipping. See sig pic.

#10 ·
Welcome from North Jersey. I get up your way often. Wellsboro area and on NW. Real nice area for riding. You will find a lot of knowledge about these bikes here. Have fun!

#12 ·
#15 ·
I ended up purchasing a vista cruise, and the p3 lights from skene. Just waiting for them to arrive in mail. I think I am going to also buy a large windshield for my bat wing fairing since the wind hit my forehead. Looking at the Memphis shades spoiler windshield, not sure if I want to her the 6.5in or the 9in. Not sure if its me or the bike but there seems to be more hesitation on throttle then I am used to with my virago 1100. Talked to Honda dealer and they said with the cobra pipes I could need a jet kit and air reduction kit also. They are going to test drive it for me next week. Love the ride though, had it out for a little today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.