Honda VTX Forum banner

How do you shut down your X ?

8K views 61 replies 53 participants last post by  POKX 
#1 ·
I always leave it running until it's sitting where I want it, in neutral and I see the neutral light on, clutch disengaged and any passenger is off, then use the key to shut it down. For me that works better for not forgetting to remove the key than the kickstand or kill switch methods, just curious how everybody else shuts down.

#52 ·
It's the Mystique

I don't actually ride my MC; is that what you're supposed to do with those things? I merely pull my MC around on my MC trailer so that everyone can see that I own one, sans actually riding one. So I've never really worked through the issues of turning off my MC. And besides, it's not so much riding it that counts, it's merely the mystique of owning one and pulling it around on my trailer for all to see that counts. Furthermore, it's easier to keep it shiny and pristine that way, and it keeps the odometer reading way, way down with an eye towards maintaining a high resale value. I mean for goodness sakes: I had to mortgage my left nut to buy my MC. I 'xpect to get some greenbacks back when I eventually sell my MC.

#54 ·
hahahaa

I don't actually ride my MC; is that what you're supposed to do with those things? I merely pull my MC around on my MC trailer so that everyone can see that I own one, sans actually riding one. So I've never really worked through the issues of turning off my MC. And besides, it's not so much riding it that counts, it's merely the mystique of owning one and pulling it around on my trailer for all to see that counts. Furthermore, it's easier to keep it shiny and pristine that way, and it keeps the odometer reading way, way down with an eye towards maintaining a high resale value. I mean for goodness sakes: I had to mortgage my left nut to buy my MC. I 'xpect to get some greenbacks back when I eventually sell my MC.
Love this post!

reminds me of a couple of my Harley friends.....

As for me, I get nervous parking in neutral so I use the kickstand, key, give self high five method...im pretty new so I don't have a history of doing it differently on the older bikes.

#55 ·
Allergic

Love this post!

reminds me of a couple of my Harley friends.....

As for me, I get nervous parking in neutral so I use the kickstand, key, give self high five method...im pretty new so I don't have a history of doing it differently on the older bikes.

Notice I did not bust on Harley in my original post. I think my original post is applicable to any brand-specific snob who sees their ride as a show and tell status symbol vice a trusty steed to be ridden and enjoyed on the open highways and byways. So, people, retract your fangs and claws, put away your bowie knives, and holster your weapons. Like Shaggy and RikRok said in a song, "It wasn't me."

I've only been riding for 5 years; my Honda VTX 1300T-Bagger is my first-ever ride. And mind you, when I first went shopping for a motorcycle, I truly wanted to buy a shiny new Dyna Super Custom Ultra Wide Classic Soft Tail Heritage Glide Night Train Thing-A-Ma-Jig Doo-Hicky What-Cha-Ma-Call-It Junk-in-the-Trunk Hum-Dinger. I just couldn't afford one at the time. I'm a card-carrying proletariat living among the bourgeoisie class of people. Keeping up with the Jones' is not a financially sustainable thing for me. And I'm allergic to mortgaging my left nut for anything other than a house. Having said that, I do like the looks of a number Harley models.

Anybody going to the cigar lounge after work today?

#56 ·
At home, neutral and turn off key, key stays in bike.

In public, off with the side stand, roll it to rest against the gearing, lean it over on stand, remove key.
This is also my typical method of shutting it down.

The kill switch is great for those times you pull up to the red light at the intersection with your buddy on left and flip his switch just before the light turns green :mrgreen:

#57 ·
Neutral, key, then kickstand.
The only time I have used the kill switch is by mistake at 70 mph on the hiway when I nudged it by mistake. That's always fun; just flip it back on and keep going.

#59 ·
Never better said . . . . . . . . kill it and get off of it!! :roll:

#60 ·
It never occured to me NOT to use the kill switch, this is my third bike, and im not a big rider persay. I dont understand-the scientist in me says; transmission down to a stop, first or neutral.I personally dont like hanging onto the clutch lever more than i ever have to. Id rather roll in neutral than hold clutch in 1st or 2nd. Next- hit kill switch. Bike is now OFF. Make sure not on soft surface, and flattish surface at that. Kickstand down -can be difficult on my 18r, added a kitchen drawer knob to my bike-will add spike at some point) Land her. Check green light again. Key mod to OFF. I did a mod that looks so enginish and non-key. i usually leave key in it ignition. Gett off her. Grin internally to myself. Turn and dont look back. Its now for the world to admire. I see her enough.

#62 ·
Kickstand down-leave in gear. Turn off Ign, pull key out, switch off GPS. Remove gloves--put them between h-bars and windshield, put helmet on mirror, latch chin strap, take a look at that great MC, walk away.

This is the same thing I do. I only stop it with the kick stand after I forgot to put the kickstand down and it tipped over on to the wife's new car. True story.
Perry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.