tire size on 2005 1300R
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tire size on 2005 1300R

Default tire size on 2005 1300R

Hey all,
    I've cked the tire threads but I couldn't find one that actually tells me if the following tire will fit on a 2005 1300R. So sorry if this is redundant. I'm looking at a front tire -- Metzeler Marathon ME 880 front tire, 140/70-18 . Can anyone who knows about tires tell me if this size will fit my bike Without any mods? I think the stock is 140/80-17. I have the stock R cast rims with a dunlop on it now. If I'm correct, the 17 at the end is the width of the rim? but what about the other numbers? What do they stand for? Will the Marathan size I'm looking at fit my bike w/o trouble? I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Metz. I don't ride a lot and the price on this tire is really good. Thx for the tips.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

17 is diam of the rim and 140/80 is wide and high of the tire wall so 18 did't fit on 17 rim

Yeah, double check if its a misprint. If advertised size is right, an 18 inch tire does not fit a 17 inch wheel.....

Default Tire size explained

This explains it better than I can. https://www.denniskirk.com/help_center/tire-sizes.jsp

Steve

That tire your looking at will not fit your 1300R. I saw the ad too.

Quote Originally Posted by TGET View Post
    Hey all,
    I've cked the tire threads but I couldn't find one that actually tells me if the following tire will fit on a 2005 1300R. So sorry if this is redundant. I'm looking at a front tire -- Metzeler Marathon ME 880 front tire, 140/70-18 . Can anyone who knows about tires tell me if this size will fit my bike Without any mods? I think the stock is 140/80-17. I have the stock R cast rims with a dunlop on it now. If I'm correct, the 17 at the end is the width of the rim? but what about the other numbers? What do they stand for? Will the Marathan size I'm looking at fit my bike w/o trouble? I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Metz. I don't ride a lot and the price on this tire is really good. Thx for the tips.
    The first number is the width of the tire tread in millimeters. The second number is the percentage of height of the sidewall to the width of the tire. Last number is the diameter of the rim in inches.

In other words.
    200/80/16
    200mm width of the tire tread; 80% of 200mm is 160mm height of the side wall. 16 means 16" rim.
    The earlier I get behind, the longer I will have to try and catch up.
    It doesn't take me all day to get nothing done; I can get nothing done by break time.

thx all. I was hoping the dimensions on the tire being advertised were flipped, but no can do. It's for an 18" rim and I have 17". However, not sure if storing a tire for 1.5 years is a good thing in the long run. Price seemed really good. Anyway , I appreciate the education in the numbers from you all. I think I'll hang on for a bit longer and see if I can find a white sidewall for the bike. That's what I really want when I exchange tires. Anybody know where you can get these for decent price? I don't ride very often so my tires will last a while and I don't need the top of the line. Thx again! You guys are the best.

BTW VTXRosa, thx for the pm buddy. I'll pass for now.

Dunlop is the only company that sells both front and back tires in the white wall.

2003R..................... Darkside Rebel and Proud of it. 100,000 Mile Club
    Home made doolies, Crash Bar, Light Bar, Harley Bags, Reckless Batwing,
    Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Highway Pegs, Corbin Tourer Seat, to name
    some of the many mods. Leo

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.