Honda VTX Forum banner

Well I did not think this would happen.

6K views 73 replies 36 participants last post by  RBS 
#1 ·
So I bought my 2006 VTX1300R on the 1st of July. Love the bike.

BUT, I just took it on a 300+ mile trip and I'm now about to say something I never thought I would. (At least not this soon anyway.)

I have out grown the bike already. :(

I was not able to keep up with some of the other riders on the trip, and for the first time I felt the bike was under powered.

One of the other bikes so over powered me that while I was full throttle he passed me like I was not even trying. I was the slowest bike in the group with the exception of one guy on an 1100. On the freeway the other bikes had no problem pulling away from any time they wanted. (Again with the exception of the one guy on an 1100.)

One guy was even riding 2 up and had no problems pulling away from me any time he wanted to.

At this point I still like the bike. But my need for more speed as me wanting some thing with more power. :(

My bike has pipes, K&N filter in a decapped housing. And its been tuned. So there is not much left to get more power out of it. And I currently don't have saddle bags on it. And I need them. So there is even more weight added to the bike.

So I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't know enough about bikes to know what bike would fit my needs and wants at this point. I know I don't want a sport bike. I'm a bigger guy, and I like the cruiser style bike. And I ride 2 up a lot. So I need something that the wife will like to. Saddle bags are a must this time. And I would like fuel injection this time around to.

So what bikes should I look at? Does not need to be new. But new is an option.

Thanks guys!

Oh and I will not be selling the VTX. The wife wants a bike of her own. So I will keep it and pass it to her.

See less See more
#3 ·
A good low mileage 1800 VTX would be a good place to start (IMO). I'm helping broker one for a good customer of mine. His is fully loaded and beautiful with 16K miles. I have another good friend that is about ready to write a check for $7500, and it's worth every penny. A nice well kept one will last easily for over 100K. I have 2 female customers with in excess of 100K on their bikes. I've done regular maintenance on both and they have both enjoyed their bikes and ridden in every type of weather imaginable in the Pac NW

#4 ·
You won't be sorry about an 1800. Same reliability, same great looks, but 30 more cubic inches.
And, you can buy a supercharger for it if it's still not quick enough!

#5 ·
I have to be the first to ask what was your average speed and what were the other bikes that you could not keep up with :confused:

#6 ·
Since there are virtualy no hop up (bigger jugs, cams, etc.) parts available for the 13, and no way to change the drive ratio (in your favor, the 18 final would not give you more top end) I would agree the way to go would be to get an 18. It's a no brainer really. You are already familiar with the bikes, and as you stated, the 13 would be great for your wife. Two up, loaded for touring 78 - 80 c.i. is not alot of engine. I rented a 96 c.i. HD for a long tour out in ID, WY, MT, and WA, was two up and loaded for travel. That bike was also underpowered on the interstates. I must say though, it did handle the many miles of of rather steep and extreme twistys (Bear Tooth Pass for example) VERY well.

#9 ·
I have to ask ........ What kind of speeds were you guys running ? My 1300 will stay on the tail of my friends that ride Harley's & 1800 VTX's from 0-100 mph . The pulling away starts there . I can't say I would regularly ride with people that stay at 100 + . My next street bike will be A honda GW F-6 !

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

#10 ·
Long Trips + More Power = Goldwing

The 1800 Wing will be more comfy, has lots of bag/trunk space for trips and will out power almost everything
This is true, IF (big if), you do not NEED or want forward controls. I would love a Wing for my long distance bike but, at 6' 2" with a 34" inseam and two TKRs just sitting on one is torture. Let alone riding it for hours. But yes, plenty of power.

#12 ·
Been there,,,, done that!! I remember a few years ago when I was on my 1100 Shadow (a big bike when I bought it back then), and was in a group of riders and realized that I had the smallest bike in the group. Now I don't have that problem with my 1800. If you love the 1300, and just need more power, then pass the 1300 to the wife and get a matching 1800. I would get my wife a 1300 in a heartbeat,,,,,, if she would ride it (which she won't). Good luck with your search.

#13 ·
Badmunky,

How fast were you going and what were you riding with? A GSXR 1000 will breeze by the VTX1800, the VTX1300, or the GL1800 at most speeds and will flat leave them at top end. There are a number of other bikes that will do the same. What are you comparing to is the key here? There are even some highly modified Harleys that will leave you!

I also wonder if you have learned to really use the gears and rpms to get the max out our your VTX during acceleration? It is not s slouch! And of course the final question comes back to speed and how much over the legal limit were you guys pushing it? I know when things get about 80mph, I start to think about the sanity and safety of what I am doing on public roads. The racetrack is a much better place to ride over 80mph.

Finally, I always worry about modifications as they can limit a vehicle's ability to do certain things. How was it tuned, do you have dyno results to compare each mod to stock? Many times folks will put on noisier pipes in the belief they are improving performance when all they really gain is more noise.

#15 ·
I know my 1300 will keep up and out run all but three of the bikes here at work( there are ten of us that ride here). The three that I can't out run are; one Harley at 106 CI, one Victory at 106 CI and a crotch rocket the rest I can give them a head start and pass them before we hit 80 mph. The pipes on my bike are 1 3/4 inches id diameter instead of the stock 1 1/2 inches diameter(flows more air), my carb is well tuned, and I am running the 1800 final. I come off the line like a scalded dog and only lost a little off the top end from the 1800 final. I can still make triple digits fairly easy.

#16 ·
re

My brother Al mentioned the other day he is looking to trade his 88 C.I. with the scream kit ( 2006 bike he just bought this spring) because mine pulls him too hard on car passes, and they hate trying to keep up when I lead.. all I have added is some baffle holes and a K&N- they made me get the brakeaway cruise:O)

#18 ·
It is a little upsetting that cant go more than 105 on my 1300C. I have good pull 80's still but when it gets into the upper 90's starts struggle. Yes I like speed and no I don't speed when it is packed traffic. Just on empty stretches of highway. I would love more speed though.
your odo needle better be at like 111 as most read 5-7 (and 8mph at a hundy) high, my 09 c has bumped 120(during a car pass of course in a 80mph zone) on slight incline, with I felt a tad still to go.

#20 ·
I would start by looking at the bikes that outran you for the entire trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:lol: seems to be pretty dang good advice.

More good advice: There's always going to be a faster bike. Somewhere, someone is building something better/faster/brighter/stronger than the fastest/best/strongest/brightest now.

Free advice (that might save you money on tickets): Find friends that aren't trying to race through 300 miles of a nice trip. . . . you bought a cruiser bike for a reason, to slow down and see the world. Try that. :lol: :thumbup:

#21 ·
The only time I felt my 1300C was under powered was going up a few passing lanes in Eastern NM. 90mph was WFO into about 30 mph head wind. Pretty steep long hills. At 90, I had no throttle left but was still slowly increasing. Speedo corrected, windshield, bags, trunk, and me at 235#.
No other time have I felt it NEEDED more, but the WANT is there. Lol.
Very curious as to what bikes and speeds you couldnt keep up with.

#24 ·
I just reread his post and yeah, there are several things that don't add up.
Single rider + full throttle = can't keep up????? Either you're not at FT or your bike is in need of serious work as the 1300, as posted above many times, is far more capable than most cruisers to ride 110 mph or better.

New rider + first ride = can't keep up? Maybe your brain was applying it's own throttle governor to keep you from over riding your experience and now you're looking for excuses as to why you were not fast enough?

There's got to be more to this "Story" here but suffice to say either your bike is not working right or you need different buddies that don't "Cruise" a trip at 130mph

#26 ·
I too ama big guy. 5' 10" 260 I ride a 1300R with bat wing and saddlebags and a trunk. I haveseen it well over 100 several times.
If you could not keep up who and what were you riding with. I have no trouble riding with Harley"s or large Kaw orgold wings.
lookat riding skills.
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.