Vtx 1300 petcock recall kit (Honda)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vtx 1300 petcock recall kit (Honda)

Default Vtx 1300 petcock recall kit (Honda)

Hope this helps someone that can't afford to buy a complete petcock assembly for their vtx. I found the Honda part number for the recall kit Honda uses to repair the leaky petcocks when you take your bike in for the petcock recall. The kit has the spring the two metal plates(the rear metal plate that has the vacuum port, and the middle metal plate that houses the diaphram valve )and supplies 4 new screws. The kit goes for about $39 and if you call the stealer and say you want to order a part for your honda and you have the part number, they will order this for you. If not call another dealer till you find one that will take your order.
    The honda part number is : 16953-KEA-023
    I couldn't find this anywhere and it isn't available in any manuals either other than the $100+ complete petcock assy.
    Hope this helps it solves the problem.
    A word of caution. If you do the gravity feed mod that converts your petcock to gravity not vacuum, the spring will ruin the diaphram and eventually cause your petcock to leak.
    If anyone has figured out an aftermarket petcock please post as I would love to go to a conventional petcock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Ride free ,always ride defensive as though your invisible to people around you2006 1300R

If it's a recall, then the dealer has to fix it free of charge.
    2005 VTX 1300C.................................................. ...2006 Kawi ZZR600 street fighter

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry_J View Post
    If it's a recall, then the dealer has to fix it free of charge.
    Yep, any owner, any model that's in the recall list. No need to be the original owner, recalls are for everyone

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

What years / models are in the recall

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by whlightning View Post
    What years / models are in the recall

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    x2
    2003 Honda VTX1300S with too many mods to list

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Make: HONDA Model: VTX1300
    Model Year: 2008
    Manufacturer: HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.) Report Receipt Date: MAR 26, 2008
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 08V141000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINEELIVERY
    Summary:
    HONDA IS RECALLING 38,934 MY 2006-2007 VT600 AND MY 2007-2008 VT750 AND VTX1300 MOTORCYCLES. THE MOTORCYCLES MAY HAVE AN IMPROPERLY MANUFACTURED FUEL CONTROL VALVE DIAPHRAGM AND THE FUEL VALVE MAY DRIP FUEL.
    Consequence:
    IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, DRIPPING FUEL POSES THE RISK OF FIRE.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL CONTROL VALVE DIAPHRAGM ASSEMBLY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 22, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-866-784-1870.
    Notes:
    HONDA RECALL NO. Q75. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

----------------------------------------

Great - mine's a 2008 and the wife has a VT750 2008 Shadow....

2008 VTX-1300C with Lindby Linbar, Saddlemen Gel Seat, Memphis Shades Batwing, Cobra sissy bar & luggage rack, chrome "X" behind the sissy bar, chrome rad cover, National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags Smoothback, Scootworks SWR-9 Riser Kit, Kuryakyn 7906 Floor Boards, Vista throttle lock, Metzler 888 rear and 880 front.

Default Petcock kit

[QUOTE=Larry_J;3616730]If it's a recall, then the dealer has to fix it free of charge.[/QUOT

Correct. But if your like me i dont want to chance leaving bike. Plus some owners arent covered under the recall and that part number isnt listed anywhere. So instead of having to buy the entire petcock assy for $100+ you csn buy the kit.
    Plus if u do the gravity mod u will soon ruin the diaphram and need the kit.

ALL owners, current and future, are open to recalls. It is the vehicle that the recall is for, not the owner. The dealer needs to do the recall, so they can log the VIN and then mark the frame of the bike as the recall being done to that unit

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_sectio...04&fveh=124605

#5 on the list. It's in the standard Honda parts catalog...

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
    support your
    LOCAL 81

Quote Originally Posted by JOSHWALEE View Post
    http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_sectio...04&fveh=124605

#5 on the list. It's in the standard Honda parts catalog...
    Yep! It's listed as a "cover set,petcock". Not as a rebuild kit. Kinda throws ya off a little. I just bought one off fleabay for $25 shipped. It wasn't leaking gas, it was leaking vacuum. Most of the time it would let gas flow, but in in the mornings when it was cool, the bike would start right up, run for a minute then quit. Most of the time it would fire back up after a couple of minutes of cranking, but a couple of times it didn't. Drained the battery first. Thought they didn't make a kit for it since it isn't listed that way and was going to have to buy a whole new petcock. No problems since I put the new "cover set" in it. Bike even runs better now that I don't have that pesky vacuum leak. I've spent months trying to figure out what the problem was. It would pop and backfire sometimes like it had a vacuum leak. But I checked everything else and didn't find it. I never put an actual vacuum on the petcock itself. When I finally did you could hear it leak. Drove me nuts trying to find it.
    2004 VTX1300S (Reckless Fairing w/Stereo, Wally World driving lights, PAIR removed,Tsukayu quick release bags, Roadhouse Doolies.)
    1983 CB550SC
    1980 CM400T

I think mine is starting to leak... every since I replaced the tank (among other things) on my bike (from hitting a deer), I notice the seams in the petcock are wet (brownish looking from dirt/dust sticking to it) and I only had to swapped the petcock from the old tank to the new, so I think it's just bad timing. I haven't see it drip, but I did clean it up, and it is wet looking in the seems again. I also notice on my last ride since putting it up for the winter, I had brownish stains on the rear crhome sparkplug cover (which cleaned off), gas splashing back I would guess.

I'm going to call Honda today to see if mine is listed for the recall (it is a 2007). but then my next issue is, if it is, I don't want to take it to a dealer, I trust no one with my scoot, let alone want to leave it anywhere (plus, since the gas has to be drianed, how do I know what there draining it into is clean and then poured back in, ect...I'm a anal mf'er when it comes to that stuff)...
    worse case, I will have to wait till spring, drain the gas, and remove the petcock, and take that too them to replace the parts....

KenDa
    wg
    2004 Honda VTX1800C - Black/Gold - Custom paint, Mustang seat, Cobra speedster slashdown, kewl metal front & rear signals
    Gone to new home - 2007 Honda VTX1300C - Black, BuB Jug Hugger exhuast, C&C solo seat, Progressive 440's and front springs, 1800C rear wheel and 200 tire, Kewl metal front & rear led signals.

well just got off the phone with Honda, and my vin isn't included in the recall... So guess I will have to buy the part myself...

KenDa
    wg
    2004 Honda VTX1800C - Black/Gold - Custom paint, Mustang seat, Cobra speedster slashdown, kewl metal front & rear signals
    Gone to new home - 2007 Honda VTX1300C - Black, BuB Jug Hugger exhuast, C&C solo seat, Progressive 440's and front springs, 1800C rear wheel and 200 tire, Kewl metal front & rear led signals.

Quote Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
    worse case, I will have to wait till spring, drain the gas, and remove the petcock, and take that too them to replace the parts....
    Why take it to them? Once you drain the gas and remove the tank and petcock, the hard part is done. All I did was remove the tank and lay it upside down on a blanket and replaced the parts. Phillips head screwdriver, four screws and replace the parts and put it back together. In fact, once the gas is drained, you could probably just loosen the nut on the petcock and rotate it around to access the back, and replace parts right there.
    2004 VTX1300S (Reckless Fairing w/Stereo, Wally World driving lights, PAIR removed,Tsukayu quick release bags, Roadhouse Doolies.)
    1983 CB550SC
    1980 CM400T

Quote Originally Posted by purednec View Post
    Why take it to them? Once you drain the gas and remove the tank and petcock, the hard part is done. All I did was remove the tank and lay it upside down on a blanket and replaced the parts. Phillips head screwdriver, four screws and replace the parts and put it back together. In fact, once the gas is drained, you could probably just loosen the nut on the petcock and rotate it around to access the back, and replace parts right there.
    I meant if it was in the recall, I would take the petcock to them, so they can put the new parts in, so I didn't have to pay for them (since I'm sure they wouldn't just hand over the parts, since they have to say they completed the recall).

But, now that mine isn't include, I will just have to buy the parts myself.

KenDa
    wg

Quote Originally Posted by MR VTX View Post
    KenDawg, is yours an '08?
    no, '07

KenDa
    wg

Quote Originally Posted by HereticWild View Post
    Make: HONDA Model: VTX1300
    Model Year: 2008
    Manufacturer: HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.) Report Receipt Date: MAR 26, 2008
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 08V141000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINEELIVERY
    Summary:
    HONDA IS RECALLING 38,934 MY 2006-2007 VT600 AND MY 2007-2008 VT750 AND VTX1300 MOTORCYCLES. THE MOTORCYCLES MAY HAVE AN IMPROPERLY MANUFACTURED FUEL CONTROL VALVE DIAPHRAGM AND THE FUEL VALVE MAY DRIP FUEL.
    Consequence:
    IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, DRIPPING FUEL POSES THE RISK OF FIRE.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL CONTROL VALVE DIAPHRAGM ASSEMBLY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 22, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-866-784-1870.
    Notes:
    HONDA RECALL NO. Q75. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

----------------------------------------

Great - mine's a 2008 and the wife has a VT750 2008 Shadow....
    Thanks, I will be taking a trip to my local stealer with this info in hand.

Black 2007 1300R, V&H Big Shots, Cobra Fatties, Kury Longhorn pegs, Baron 4" risers, A1 ST Hardbags, Mustang Seat with Backrest, Glen's CPR and 4" Headlight Extension, etc.

no, '07
    Mine is an 07, got it replaced. Took them about 20 minutes and I was on the road again..
    2007 1300R Titanium, de-badged, Coyote gas cap hinge, National Cycle highway bars, progressive 412, loud ass Stebel horn, Batwing, Harley Aux Lights, Rivco solo rack and some Pony paint..

no, '07
    According to that post above, it only affected the '08 models. That may be why you aren't included.

** Edit: I further read the summary and see it affected '07-'08 models, but not all of them. Maybe you got lucky and received leftover parts from the earlier models.

Quote Originally Posted by MR VTX View Post
    According to that post above, it only affected the '08 models. That may be why you aren't included.

** Edit: I further read the summary and see it affected '07-'08 models, but not all of them. Maybe you got lucky and received leftover parts from the earlier models.

yeah, I remember hearing about this back in 08, and it was talking about the '07... oh well...

KenDa
    wg

Default Similar issues

Quote Originally Posted by purednec View Post
    Yep! It's listed as a "cover set,petcock". Not as a rebuild kit. Kinda throws ya off a little. I just bought one off fleabay for $25 shipped. It wasn't leaking gas, it was leaking vacuum. Most of the time it would let gas flow, but in in the mornings when it was cool, the bike would start right up, run for a minute then quit. Most of the time it would fire back up after a couple of minutes of cranking, but a couple of times it didn't. Drained the battery first. Thought they didn't make a kit for it since it isn't listed that way and was going to have to buy a whole new petcock. No problems since I put the new "cover set" in it. Bike even runs better now that I don't have that pesky vacuum leak. I've spent months trying to figure out what the problem was. It would pop and backfire sometimes like it had a vacuum leak. But I checked everything else and didn't find it. I never put an actual vacuum on the petcock itself. When I finally did you could hear it leak. Drove me nuts trying to find it.
    I'm having the same type of tail chasing, head scratchin suspicions on a vacuum leak myself. Bike is doing the same thing, cold days, will 2x twist, starts right up, back it out, hold the idle, get off, go turn off the light, pull the garage down, and the bike dies before I get back to it. another twist, crank crank crank, twist crank crank crank might start, might not. When I pull a tube straight to the petcock, pull a vacuum, fuel flows till the vacuum bleeds off then I gotta pull more vacuum.
    I ordered a cover kit my self from DL, will see how long it takes before it shows up.

So, the question I have is, how many folks who have done the gravity fed mod have had issues with the diaphragm and petcock?

Mine is an 03 with the fuel pump removed and the factory petcock(no vacuum to the petcock) and I have never had a problem like that, unless my battery was going bad.

2003R..................... Darkside Rebel and Proud of it. 100,000 Mile Club
    Home made doolies, Crash Bar, Light Bar, Harley Bags, Reckless Batwing,
    Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Highway Pegs, Corbin Tourer Seat, to name
    some of the many mods. Leo

mine is an 04 and its having the leaky seal problem. its actually getting pretty bad. I'll try calling and see if my vin is in the recall (i doubt it) if not i'm either buying the rebuild kit or possibly (though not likely) buying an aftermarket petcock.

Try tightening it first....you dont need to remove it from the tank. Just loosen the top nut (very) slightly and turn it to face you (hoses removed of course).

If you indeed do want a new petcock....go with a pingle. No offence, but that ebay one looks like a piece of crapola.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.