Honda VTX Forum banner

Second thoughts... Triumph vs vtx1300

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  DaveAA 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I know many of you ride other bikes as well as currently or previously having vtx's. I was all set to trade my vtx for a triumph street triple, as I mainly commute (less that 10miles in LA traffic) and ride canyons. I'm getting cold feet. Any of you have experience with a naked sport/standard and have any thoughts? Can't keep both unfortunately...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I traded a Yamaha FJR1300 for my VTX. The Yamaha did everything well, great fairing protection, decent gas mileage, tons of power, lots of storage, full gauges, etc... However I like the VTX so much better! The VTX has attitude and heart, I just love riding it. The Yamaha was a great bike, but the VTX hits the spot. The Triumph is a great bike, good luck with your decision.

#6 ·
Yea... I love my vtx and it's hard to find fault with something so reliable (and good looking). It's heavy and gas mileage is not great in town... But it would be hard to say goodbye. The triumph is totally totally different, and I'm not sure if I really want it long term or just like the idea of something light and fast

#7 ·
I'd jump on that Triple

My only experience driving in LA is between LAX and Woodland Hills. Since you like to canyon ride I'd recommend buying the Triple or something similar. I like my VTX. I love my CBR929. The VTX is so slow and clumsy compared to a modern bike and my 2000 CBR is hardly modern now. As far as stopping, maneuvering and (in your case) lane-splitting) I believe the Triple would be the best thing.
My co-worker has an R1 and an FZ09 and the R1 is for sale. He loves the FZ and his wife will ride on it too.

#8 ·
If you can only keep one..... it would be (for me) the VTX.

They are virtually indestructible - and have one of the very best support forums in existence (here).
....and they're simple to work on, simple to fix.

Find yourself a lightly used Yamaha FZ1 to go with it. If you want fuel mileage then get an FZ6

#9 ·
Don't trade it in?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Rim

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Edit: I didn't see the "can't keep them both".
In that case I don't know. I do prefer the sportbike for commuting, but I don't really carry anything with me that doesn't fit in a courier bag. Obviously the VTX is the the go-to for any longer trips or 2up. sportbike/naked sport are faster (of course), easier to ride (less physical effort) in the city and the twisties. I test rode a street triple, 2014. didn't have quite enough oomph for me and has no wind protection which kind of sucked, but I really enjoyed the ride it. I was going for a more radical change in bikes (power!) since I was keeping the X so I went for the FZ1 "crotchrocket with handlebars" literbike. No full lower fairing supersport clip-ons please, my wrists and ass can't take it. I had a CBR1000RR for about VERY BRIEFLY. 15 mins and I was hurting. :shock:

If I were you I'd think about whether or not I'll be able to have 2 bikes in the (acceptable time frame) future. if yes, might as well wait. I love having the 2 completely different rides. if no, go for it. and think bigger. literbikes aren't that scary ;) I say go bigger because if I'd have gone with a smaller sportbike I would have been disappointed after a couple days and looking to move up. it wouldn't be your first bike after all.

#10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Have to just make a decision now... Wish I could keep both. I went for a ride for a couple hours yesterday hoping I would come back either hating or loving the vtx but all I realized is that I just love to ride!!!!

#11 ·
After contemplating (and trying to give the VTX1800 a chance) I thought about what I would be doing on the ____ cycle more than anything. I tour in the summer for a week here and a week there, but overall, riding to work and back and the weekend jaunts around the central Florida areas including local Poker Runs and charity event rides.
I love the VTX line and my 1300 was the best bike I rode. But contemplating the above I decided to pull the trigger on a CTX700. Just made more sense to get a bike that did the things I do more and made me feel more comfortable to my riding style. I loved the VTX but, in the end, it was just too heavy for me. I can't say enough good things about the CTX and plan on keeping her for a long time. I can do 90mph on the freeway and not worry about a thing as it doesn't wind up like my old Intruder did. With a little tweeking (accessories!) I have a very comfortable ride that handles so much better (for me) than the VTX's did. Doesn't have the take off power but I'm not really one of those types of riders.
Long to short...get what ya love to ride and what you feel comfortable on!

Good luck and keep us posted! :thumbup:

***And like myself and a few others, you can always post on here and banter away! Everyone on this site is pretty cool, no matter what bike ya ride!

#12 ·
I'm going for it! Getting the street triple today! I haven't sold the vtx yet, so who knows... Maybe I'll have two bikes for a while. If anyone in Southern California is looking for a well loved 1300c with mini ape hangers, pm me.

#13 ·
I have to say that I've never had a bike that I love as much as my X. It will be my bike until they put me under, or until I get old enough that I can't hold it up any longer --- then I'll downsize to a 1300.... LOL.

#14 ·
I have to say that I've never had a bike that I love as much as my X. It will be my bike until they put me under, or until I get old enough that I can't hold it up any longer --- then I'll downsize to a 1300.... LOL.
and when you can't hold the 1300 up just add a wheel.

Attachments

#18 ·

It is amazingly fun to ride. The riding position is taking some adjustment, but it is comfortable.... Still takes conscious effort not to lean on my wrists but that will become habit in time. The handling is unbelievable and both the quick acceleration and braking have already come in handy in traffic. 3 days and I've already put close to 250 miles on it in the canyons. Very happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.