I installed Trackside Grip Heaters
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I installed Trackside Grip Heaters

Default I installed Trackside Grip Heaters

Here in AZ we ride year around. I have Gerbing heated glove liners. With gloves over them they are bulky and if I wear the liners alone they only heat the backs of the hands and my fingers still get cold, so I decided to try grip heaters. The grip heaters are currently on sale for $20 at Cycle Gear. They are a thin metal grid mounted on an adhesive tape with a removable paper backing. I could not find much on installing them. I decided not to install the wires inside the bars since I could not do that with the throttle anyway. After adding shrink wrap tubing to the wires, I filed a notch at the end of the grip for the wire. Where the wires solder to the grid is a raise area so you will need to trim out some rubber inside the grips for the wires and solder. On the throttle you will need a loop of wire to allow for the throttle rotation. On the left side the heater grid applies directly to the bare bars. On the throttle side the grip heaters apply to the plastic tube that comes out of the throttle mechanism. On the left side I routed the wires in the existing harness. On the right side there was not enough room the the existing harness to add wires. I routed along the existing harness and added a corrigated harness to both. I did not use grip adhesive and soaked the grips in hot water and added a little soap and they slide on easily. After a heating cycle they appear to be tight.

The heated grips come with a dropping resistor and a high/low switch but I did not use them. I already had a 12V outlet at the front of the seat which I use for the battery tender and power for the heated gloves. I have a Gerbing dual temperature controller for the gloves with an unused side for a jacket. I added to grip heater power cable a connector to match the Gerbing temperature controller and plugged the grips into the jacket plug. The Gerbing temperature controller is held to the tank with velcro. Everything seems to work fine. With a bare hand the throttle seems warmer because the plastic throttle parts insulate the heat from the steel bars. I will ride Thursday to see how everything works.

trackside grip.jpgGrip with notch cut for wire and solder.jpgWire loop for throttle.jpgTemperature controller and wires.jpg
    2007 VTX1300C, VTX1800R handlebars, Invicta Motorsports fairing, Cobra highway bar, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Mustang seat, NC Cruiseliner saddlebags, Hondaline heel and toe shifter, DMY trunk, All Balls, Walmart Lights, Veypor VP2 Computer

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default I installed grip heaters revisited.

My first ride demonstrated two problems. First the throttle side is much warmer than the left. If the throttle side was just right the left was too cold. Second is the lack of grip adhesive on the throttle side resulted in a broken wire at the solder connection to the film.

To correct the temperature balance I added the 2 ohm resistor supplied with the kit for the low temperature setting in series for the throttle side. The resistor gets hot so mount it where is has air flow and does not touch anything that can melt.
    The two wires soldered to the film are perpendicular to the film. That interferes with the grip and puts a stress on the solder joint and wires. I resoldered the wires parallel to the throttle tube and facing the front of the bike. I covered the solder connection with a generous layer of epoxy and installed the grips with grip adhesive.
    The last ride was great. The temperatures are well balanced and I really like the temperature controller. The heated grips work so well I probably will not bother with the heated glove liners.
    2007 VTX1300C, VTX1800R handlebars, Invicta Motorsports fairing, Cobra highway bar, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Mustang seat, NC Cruiseliner saddlebags, Hondaline heel and toe shifter, DMY trunk, All Balls, Walmart Lights, Veypor VP2 Computer

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.