Any one use these lights off of ebay.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any one use these lights off of ebay.

Default Any one use these lights off of ebay.

Looking for some good bright driving/recon lights for visibility. Any on use these before.http://www.ebay.com/itm/250920806728...84.m1423.l2649. Wondering on how they would mount. Any other ideas for some reasonable lights. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default Driving lights

Found some at local Princess Auto store for around 15 bucks that had close to the same setup as shown in the link you provided...slightly different design but same idea...I ended up using one of my bike and one on my wife's bike more for daytime visibility and mounted both down low on the left side off the left footpeg mounting bolts. They work fine and you could probably find something similar at Harbor Freight or Autozone in the USA.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A flat mounting bracket. A piece of sheet metal from under the headlight bucket could be a mounting point.
    Fender mount like they show???
    I don't like the 55watts x 2 = 110watts power consumption.
    364 watts VTX charging system at 5,000 RPM.
    Better to use 25watt or 35watt H3 bulbs.
    Some use an Optronics driving lights, remove the MR-16 halogens and installed 4w led bulbs drawing about .5amp each(6 watts). Power consumption so low you do not need to use a relay.
    Last edited by Hans&Feet; 02-04-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back.
    155,233 VTX miles...​On 10th frt tire, 13th rear tire
    When you stop learning, you are dying.
    http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/hans1300/profile/

Default Driving Lights

I picked mine up from Wal Mart for $20, wiring, switch,etc included. Mounted them to my fender brace just below my front tire line. Trying to keep my center of gravity low.

Whatever you install, use a relay to avoid burning up headlight/starter $80 switch.
    The earlier I get behind, the longer I will have to try and catch up.
    It doesn't take me all day to get nothing done; I can get nothing done by break time.

Forget the lights and go with and HID headlight. Way, way more light output. I had driving lights on my bike at one time, but when I went to an HID it made them useless.
    '04 1300S or at least used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Rory View Post
    Forget the lights and go with and HID headlight. Way, way more light output. I had driving lights on my bike at one time, but when I went to an HID it made them useless.
    where do u get this hid light? is it just a bulb are the whole head light replacement?
    2006 VTX 1300R,,black cherry maroon,mustang tour seat,large studded sbags,iso grips with boss,phat-11 risers,wide chrome clutch & brake levers, HK DD 3" strts pipes,freeway bars,chrome back rest,19in. memphis shade sheild,louvers frt&back,lowers,etc,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by moondogger View Post
    where do u get this hid light? is it just a bulb are the whole head light replacement?

There are lots of places to get one and I along with many others here have bought them from DDM Tuning. I have found them cheaper since then on both Ebay and Amazon. It is a replacement bulb that goes in your stock headlight bucket. There is a ballast for it that needs to be mounted. Some have mounted the ballast under the neck cover and others under the tank. The light output put can not be matched and HID bulbs far outlast any halogen bulb out there. There are lots of threads here on HID lights. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/search.p...860&pp=&page=2

Default HIDs

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Rory View Post
    The purpose of driving lights is not only to see but to be seen. If you have an HID that's great, but both HID & driving lights will make you more VISIBLE. Now there are HID lights that are adaptable to modulators, even better. Remember.......those cagers can't see us. Regardless of who's right or wrong we're the ones that end up dead. We're invisible to them!!!!!!!! Same with our brake lights. Get a high brake light installed that blinks.....BE SEEN; it's most of the battle out there!!!

Default Went with the HID Headlight kit, now

Would still like more vis with a set of very bright driving lights, any ideas on brands or kits. I do not currently have a light bar installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by naparisi View Post
    The purpose of driving lights is not only to see but to be seen. If you have an HID that's great, but both HID & driving lights will make you more VISIBLE. Now there are HID lights that are adaptable to modulators, even better. Remember.......those cagers can't see us. Regardless of who's right or wrong we're the ones that end up dead. We're invisible to them!!!!!!!! Same with our brake lights. Get a high brake light installed that blinks.....BE SEEN; it's most of the battle out there!!!

Default Driving Lights

Quote Originally Posted by LeeK View Post
    Would still like more vis with a set of very bright driving lights, any ideas on brands or kits. I do not currently have a light bar installed?
    I'd go back to Walmart & buy their's for $20. Always buy the spots with H type bulbs that give you the option of changing to different watt bulbs & the optically engineered lenses that give you bright white light which you'll be able to target properly unlike a flood type bulb with a glass/plastic lens cover. I bought part # QH-83Cd more than a year ago; no problems. Don't know if they still handle the same ones, but do get the H type bulbs with optically engineered lenses. You can spend hundreds of dollars on spots which I think is unnecessary.

Nick

Myself I like the old style of light bar from Cobra. The new one is not as wide and the turn signals stick straight out to the side instead of down.

2003R..................... Darkside Rebel and Proud of it. 100,000 Mile Club
    Home made doolies, Crash Bar, Light Bar, Harley Bags, Reckless Batwing,
    Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Highway Pegs, Corbin Tourer Seat, to name
    some of the many mods. Leo

Quote Originally Posted by naparisi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclereb View Post
    Myself I like the old style of light bar from Cobra. The new one is not as wide and the turn signals stick straight out to the side instead of down.

All depends on what you want. If a light bar look is what you want go for it. But small driving lights will be completely drowned out and be hardly visible with an HID head light. As for modulators, personally can not stand them. My brighter whiter color HID is much more noticeable than a dim blinking halogen headlight. And it also does not give a false impression to an idiot in a cage that you are giving them the right of way. To each their own.

Does the HID work for low and high beams? I have been kicking around driving lights for the look and night riding better visibility. The HID sounds very good for the better ability to see at night...

I dont think so........i kinda wonder how easy parts are to get also....do you have to order everything. IDK
    We can walk our road together, If our goals are all the same. We can run alone and free, If we pursue a different aim.
    Let the truth of love be lighted. Let the love of truth shine clear. Sensibility, Armed with sense and liberty. With the heart and mind united in a single. Perfect. Sphere. Neal Peart

Quote Originally Posted by WillyD View Post
    Does the HID work for low and high beams? I have been kicking around driving lights for the look and night riding better visibility. The HID sounds very good for the better ability to see at night...
    DDM Tuning seems to be very reasonably priced. $22.50 for one light level; $37.50 if you want hi/lo.

Yes they do have hi/lo. But not in the traditional sense. The intensity of the light does not change. The HID lamp moves back and forth to change the angle the light is reflected in the housing. That is what gives the hi/lo.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...-Kits-Lighting
    The earlier I get behind, the longer I will have to try and catch up.
    It doesn't take me all day to get nothing done; I can get nothing done by break time.

Quote Originally Posted by mightywarrior72 View Post
    DDM Tuning seems to be very reasonably priced. $22.50 for one light level; $37.50 if you want hi/lo.

Yes they do have hi/lo. But not in the traditional sense. The intensity of the light does not change. The HID lamp moves back and forth to change the angle the light is reflected in the housing. That is what gives the hi/lo.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...-Kits-Lighting

So basically you just run the HID all the time?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.