Idle Adjustment screw for 1800 engine
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idle Adjustment screw for 1800 engine

Default Idle Adjustment screw for 1800 engine

I have an 08 1800F and I'd like to set the idle adjustment at 900 RPM.
    The screw under the coolant reserve is spring loaded and difficult , to me at least, to adjust with the spring
    keeping the screw from turning and staying put. At this point, after it warms up the idle sets at 1000 RPM.
    That's not too bad however my problem is when the engine is still warm after an hour or so the RPMs
    after restarting drops to 800 RPM and even dips below briefly. I have read on a thread through Spike
    that anything under 800 is not good due to possible oil pump problems. I would like to set it up a tad
    but the spring action is keeping me from turning the screw. My Clymer manual doesn't get into detail
    on how this adjustment works. Any advise from the techs would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by salesphil1 View Post

I have read on a thread through Spike
    that anything under 800 is not good due to possible oil pump problems.

I would like to set it up a tad but the spring action is keeping me from turning the screw.
    My Clymer manual doesn't get into detail on how this adjustment works.
    Any advise from the techs would be appreciated. Thanks, Phil
    I wouldn't worry about oil pressure @ 800 RPM.

All that's required to prove the point - add oil pressure gauge.
    What grade Number of oil is Used right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Philscbx View Post
    I wouldn't worry about oil pressure @ 800 RPM.

All that's required to prove the point - add oil pressure gauge.
    What grade Number of oil is Used right now?
    I think it's just Honda 10w 40 or 50

Quote Originally Posted by salesphil1 View Post
    The screw under the coolant reserve is spring loaded and difficult , to me at least, to adjust with the spring
    keeping the screw from turning and staying put. At this point, after it warms up the idle sets at 1000 RPM.
    That's not too bad however my problem is when the engine is still warm after an hour or so the RPMs
    after restarting drops to 800 RPM and even dips below briefly. I have read on a thread through Spike
    that anything under 800 is not good due to possible oil pump problems. I would like to set it up a tad
    but the spring action is keeping me from turning the screw. My Clymer manual doesn't get into detail
    on how this adjustment works. Any advise from the techs would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    According to the manual idle should be set between 700 and 900 RPM so 800 is perfect. It is easier to turn the adjusting knob if you detach it from the bracket and stretch the cable. Another way is using a Philips screwdriver to turn the screw that is in the centre of the knob.
    Last edited by fastspek; 02-16-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    2003 VTX 1800C (forever)
    2002 HD FLSTF since 07/2008

" Today you raised more questions than giving answers "

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.