Any how-to on swing arm bearings change out there ???
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any how-to on swing arm bearings change out there ???

Default Any how-to on swing arm bearings change out there ???

Guys, as title says, I'm looking for info on changing the swing arm bearings. Last summer, when hunting a clunking sound that I attributed to the transmission or clutch and was ready to open up and look further inside, my honda dealer, upon examination, found and are certain that that clunk is caused by my swing arm, who was apparently WAY overtorked by the company that did my fat tire conversion.

With spring finally around the corner, I'm getting ready to take the tarp off the bike and attack the things that need to be done before the nice weather rolls around.

So..???? any how-to out there ???

Thanks as usual

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by steph View Post
    Guys, as title says, I'm looking for info on changing the swing arm bearings. Last summer, when hunting a clunking sound that I attributed to the transmission or clutch and was ready to open up and look further inside, my honda dealer, upon examination, found and are certain that that clunk is caused by my swing arm, who was apparently WAY overtorked by the company that did my fat tire conversion.

With spring finally around the corner, I'm getting ready to take the tarp off the bike and attack the things that need to be done before the nice weather rolls around.

So..???? any how-to out there ???

Thanks as usual
    Are you running a modified factory swingarm? If so heres a link to the service manual download. Section 14-10 deals with swing arm removal. On the right pivot bolt you will either need a special tool to remove the castle nut or modify an old socket to fit the castle nut. I modified a old socket and it worked just fine.
    Hope this helps.

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.ph...anual-download
    220mm Tire Polished and Blacked out engine CP Punisher internally wired bars / Avon grips Accutronix forward controls Metric bagger rear section Long Boy front fender Arnott air ride Stretched seamless tank / Matt Hotch pop up gas cap/ FSD exhaust/ Thunder Manufacturing intake Sterling Magnum chromite cables and brake lines My Build Page: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...-s-1300C-build http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?341134-Bags

Thanks Bro, excellent link !!!

Your welcome Steph That service manual is priceless to have. I'm curious about your clunk, as I seem to have one too. Mine only seems to happen if I wheel the bike backwards. Happens once per revolution of the wheel. Sound like yours?
    220mm Tire Polished and Blacked out engine CP Punisher internally wired bars / Avon grips Accutronix forward controls Metric bagger rear section Long Boy front fender Arnott air ride Stretched seamless tank / Matt Hotch pop up gas cap/ FSD exhaust/ Thunder Manufacturing intake Sterling Magnum chromite cables and brake lines My Build Page: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...-s-1300C-build http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?341134-Bags

Oh crap... just came back from the garage and the bike won't start.... dead battery never put a charger on before, but unlike this year, I usually start the bike 3-4 times per winter, just to hear the sound !!!

Ok, definitely not convinced the clunk comes from the swing arm.... on the stand, rocked the bike from left to right, and the clunk I hear is the shock that clunks at full extension... I know cause I just removed it and the sound ain't there with it removed. It's those 11 inch Far shocks that specialize on Harleys.... They don't have upward travel like the stock shocks !!! therfore when you rock the bike, the shock goes down a bit and then clunks when it reaches full extension.

I know exactly what clunk you mean, once per revolution only when backing up... Had it for a while last year. It's the brakes for sure !!!! completely went away after I installed Glen's down under bracket !?! I think it's the pads sticking at a specific point on the rotor and clunking when it reaches that point, or the pad holders are bent a little and allow movement.... It's vague, but I'm sure your clunk is the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by steph View Post
    Oh crap... just came back from the garage and the bike won't start.... dead battery never put a charger on before, but unlike this year, I usually start the bike 3-4 times per winter, just to hear the sound !!!

Ok, definitely not convinced the clunk comes from the swing arm.... on the stand, rocked the bike from left to right, and the clunk I hear is the shock that clunks at full extension... I know cause I just removed it and the sound ain't there with it removed. It's those 11 inch Far shocks that specialize on Harleys.... They don't have upward travel like the stock shocks !!! therfore when you rock the bike, the shock goes down a bit and then clunks when it reaches full extension.

I know exactly what clunk you mean, once per revolution only when backing up... Had it for a while last year. It's the brakes for sure !!!! completely went away after I installed Glen's down under bracket !?! I think it's the pads sticking at a specific point on the rotor and clunking when it reaches that point, or the pad holders are bent a little and allow movement.... It's vague, but I'm sure your clunk is the brakes.
    Gotta be pretty cold up by you still. It probably wont be warm enough to wrench on mine til next month. I know every one uses a battery tender but I just pull mine and put the battery in the basement. Re install in the spring and she always fires rite up. Good to hear that you wont have to remove the swing arm. Its not hard but, its a job for sure. Looks like you were able to diagnose better than the Honda techs

Its funny you mention the down under bracket, because I think it started making the clunk after I installed it. At least I know to check the brakes over first before tearing into it too much. Thanks for the info!

Its going to be a royal PIA to remove the bearing races in the swingarm. You would have to punch a hole in the cap under the race and pound out the opposite side then vice verse. Can you even buy the caps that go under the bearing race? Being the bearings don't rotate but maybe 20* as long as the bearing race is not pitted, scored or rusted I would not change it. They way they are designed if the bearings look good I would just clean and repack. I doubt the sound is coming from them unless someone really F-up installing the swingarm.
    2012 Victory Cross country
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75391&d=1342403272

Yeah, Thanks X'N. Found it to look like too much pain. I'll wait to see if it becomes obvious that it is problematic. If ever, I'll let the dealer deal with it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.