VTX1800 Neutral switch
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VTX1800 Neutral switch

Default VTX1800 Neutral switch

I thank everyone for all the help. Turned out that the neutral switch was stuck. I simply had to take it off and clean it. Bike is running beautifully now.
    Last edited by tropicalson; 05-03-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Problem Resolved

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Behind the left rear engine chrome side cover, where your shift lilnkage runs behind. Pop off the 7 screw if I remember right, and the switch is behind the cover

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

2003 VTX 1800R

Ya know, I think we're all Bozo's on this bus.

#1 Find what is blowing the fuse... Neutral switch can still work---just no visual indication.
    Speedo, front running light, temp/oil/neutral lights, tach, tail light, license plate light all on the
    Black/Brown wire. You do anything on that wire?? Any adds or changes????

Neutral switch puts out a ground---cannot blow a fuse---also sends a signal to ECM. ECM has to see a ground to run in neutral. This same "ground" to the ECM also goes to the "Starter relay" so you can crank the engine. IF it does not crank in neutral than there is a problem.

Kickstand switch(UP) puts out a ground--sends a signal to ECM, engine will die if kick stand goes down in gear. ((OR if kickstand bolt loose, damaged or wiring problem)).
    This same "ground" from the kickstand switch goes through the clutch lever switch when you pull the lever to allow cranking in gear.

A diagram of the starter relay with ECM safety status leads(neutral, kickstand)
    http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...relayckt-2.png
    Last edited by Hans&Feet; 04-22-2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: added cranking info 0306 EDT
    2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back.
    158,053 VTX miles...​On 10th frt tire, 13th rear tire
    When you stop learning, you are dying.

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
    #1 Find what is blowing the fuse... Neutral switch can still work---just no visual indication.
    Speedo, front running light, temp/oil/neutral lights, tach, tail light, license plate light all on the
    Black/Brown wire. You do anything on that wire?? Any adds or changes????

Neutral switch puts out a ground---cannot blow a fuse---also sends a signal to ECM. ECM has to see a ground to run in neutral.
    Kickstand switch(UP) puts out a ground--sends a signal to ECM, engine will die if kick stand goes down in gear. ((OR if kickstand bolt loose, damaged or wiring problem)).
    Thanks, I missed that part

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Default Neutral Switch

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
    Behind the left rear engine chrome side cover, where your shift lilnkage runs behind. Pop off the 7 screw if I remember right, and the switch is behind the cover

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.