Which Vance and Hines pipes sound best?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Vance and Hines pipes sound best?

Default Which Vance and Hines pipes sound best?

Should I purchase the Vance and Hines (VH) Cruzers or Big Shots pipes to replace my stock "quiet" pipes? I want drivers to hear me pass during lane splitting but do not wish to wake up my neighbors. Also, do they both require the same installation steps (e.g. jetting the carburator).

Navig8tor

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default I have the cruisers

Quote Originally Posted by navig8tor View Post
    should i purchase the vance and hines (vh) cruzers or big shots pipes to replace my stock "quiet" pipes? I want drivers to hear me pass during lane splitting but do not wish to wake up my neighbors. Also, do they both require the same installation steps (e.g. Jetting the carburator).

Navig8tor

i have the vance and hines cruisers on my 1300r model, not too loud but sometimes i think they sound a little tinnie! When i installed mine a year ago i did not have any reson to re-jet motor. It runs fine, if you have not done the pair valve you will find the popping on decel and shifting will really be noticible and annoying, my neighbor has the the big shots on his harley 103 and it is so loud i can hear him a quarter mile away. On the highway the cruisers are loud enough that i wear earplugs because the noise from the pipes are annoying. Godd luck on what ever you choose, there are some you- tube videos on both set of pipes on the 1300's so you can make a decision.

Good luck j.p.

I have/love my bigshots. My heat shield retaining tabs broke recently and its not covered under warranty. Something to think about

big shots sound best but are loud. there are 2 options for quiet baffles to help

cruziers sound good bit higher in pitch but are not as loud

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." Thomas Paine
    Where is our government!

I have the cruizers, with no baffles in them. Idle is fairly quiet. But let off the throttle with a few rpms behind it, and they do ALOT of talkin as its backin down. No coughin or sputterin, more of a cackle. The bigshots do look a little nicer to me tho.

I have Big Shots with the quiet baffles. The pipes are deeper with the quiet baffles and have a pretty mellow cruising tone. However, they still bark pretty loudly and will ring out under load (like going up a hill). They are also a good performing system. As far as jetting, you don't HAVE to unless you change/modify your intake. BUT, I took a suggestion from Charlie D to try on a friend's wife's bike. She had a completely stock 2007 1300S. Her husband and I put on Samson Warloard II Cannons. Afterwards, the bike was still tough to start (cold-natured). She was using the choke a lot and it had some lean surging issues, too. I came back and put in a #200 Keihn main jet, which is one size over the stock #195. I also put in a #58 pilot jet (one size over the stock #55). We stayed with the stock needle and spring. I also put in Glen's permanent A/F screw--which allows for easy adjustment of the idle mixture. The bike runs great now and she is all smiles. Another thing to consider when getting aftermarket pipes is the PAIR valve removal. I have done it on mine and we also did it on hers. It really improves sound--especially on deceleration.
    Last edited by Titanium-X; 07-03-2013 at 09:39 AM.

guess i should add i sold my cruzers and putting big shots on

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." Thomas Paine
    Where is our government!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Riddle View Post
    guess i should add i sold my cruzers and putting big shots on
    I was waiting for that. You are going to want the quiet baffles, though. There was a new set on the pay it forward table at Bulldogs...I don't know who brought them or if they are still up for grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium-X View Post
    I was waiting for that. You are going to want the quiet baffles, though. There was a new set on the pay it forward table at Bulldogs...I don't know who brought them or if they are still up for grabs.

thanks. im thinking about the big city thunder qq baffles

Where is our government!

I think cyberhick recommended those before. Let me know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium-X View Post
    I think cyberhick recommended those before. Let me know how it goes.

it would be nice to get a good sound comparison on video

Where is our government!

Default Which Vance and Hines pipes sound best?

I put the Big Shots on my bike two years ago. I always felt they sounded too much like a straight pipe so I finally bought the Quiet Baffles. I am real pleased with them. The sound is deeper now and still has plenty of authority when needed. What I regret is that I didn't take my old baffles out first because the quiet ones are almost identical except for a plug on the inside of the baffle and some kind of a wrap around the interior of the baffle. Maybe just welding something on the interior end of the baffle would have stopped the harshness. I should also mention that I wasn't that unhappy with my pipes until I put the Baron's Big Air Kit on and re-jetted the carb. That really woke my bike up and consequently increased the sound. With the quiet baffles in, I am now very pleased with this set-up. If anyone has tried plugging the end of their stock baffle, you should chime in and tell us how it worked.
    2005 1300R Metallic Silver, Memphis Shades Windshield with homemade lowers, Ultimate Big Boy seat, Honda Backrest, Willie and Max Large Slant Saddlebags with Easy Off Brackets, Vance and Hines Big Shots, Cobra Highway Bar, Show Krome radiator cover.

Navig8tor, I know this is not exactly the answer to your question but i wanted to throw this out there for something to think about in case you were not aware. I did the " Clayton Mod" to mine
    around 6 years ago and have been VERY Happy ever since ! the sound is very nice , and combined with Kury hyper charger and pair valve removal as well as Proper jetting I am very happy with both the performance and overall sound and reliability , Plus you don't have much to lose ....Just get a good drill and drill bit. I did 7 holes 7/16" i believe then 1 DEEP through the center with a 1/2" bit . Now i am not sure what year you have as i know they changed the exhaust on the vtx1300 in its final years and am not sure if this Mod is functional .here is one of many links for the MOD.Also this MOD alone will NOT require neither Jetting or pair valve removal Good luck and welcome

http://forums.midatlanticxriders.com...hp?topic=224.0
    Last edited by allmack; 07-07-2013 at 10:58 AM.

06 vtx 1300c red w/hypercharger pro , Kuryakyn lizard lights , cobra tachometer

I have the cruzers, which my honda dealer said were big shots and so i got the big shot quiet baffles ( which are too narrow ) I wrapped them in exhaust blanket to make them comply with aussie naoise requirements. The blankets have long since shot out in a shower of sparks on rides and they are definitely loud. My son has the coffee made by the time i get in and undressed he can hear me coming through the suburb!
    Really doesnt stop the idiots from pulling out in front of you though... only solution to that would be have the pipes facing forward... now theres a nice little project for someone !
    Angel by day. Devil by night

Default Thank You

Guys, Thank you very much for your very informative inputs. Allmack, I assume that Clayton was the name of the guy who first drilled holes on his stock pipes to make them louder...or was Clayton the drill maker? Angelic, you can also ride backwards with your whitewalls and always have your pipes facing the rude drivers. Titanium, I am also a retired AF flyer guy...a navigator if you did not guess. LittleB, I saw Mark McGuire hit 70 homeruns at Busch stadium. GreggR, nice Air Force blue motorcycle. Hotspur, you need a fast motorcycle to catch your students as a school administrator. Bounty Hunter, I am going with whatever you say. Quizical Chimp, are you related to Curious George? Do you think George rides a VTX? Nav
    Last edited by Navig8tor; 07-12-2013 at 09:37 PM.

I am 98% sure Clayton was indeed the name of the man who came up with the mod

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

06 vtx 1300c red w/hypercharger pro , Kuryakyn lizard lights , cobra tachometer

Big shots with quiet baffles . Nice. Putting dollies on in a few days. Hope they sound as good.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.