Lost power 1800C
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost power 1800C

Default Lost power 1800C

Hope I can get some help with this. 03 1800C, no PC, no mods except shorty exhaust.

Had a problem last year with the bike loosing power after I got on the gas to catch up with some friends. Just started bogging down, loosing power on and off. Did this a three or four times and then ran fine for a while. Started acting up again until I didnt feel comfortable riding the bike. Check out the threads here and did the ground fix, no change. Ended up draining the tank and filling with new gas and added some fuel injector cleaner. Seemed to help the problem. Every now and them the bike would lose power briefly, a few seconds, then straighten out. Now it has started again. Again I drained the tank and added fresh gas, took it out in town for 10 mins or so and the bike ran great. Got on this morning heading to work and the first mile it was fine, then lost power again. The bike still ran but at maybe 75%, just really bogged down. Was able to get it home.
    Where should I start looking for the problem? Fuel Filter-FPR?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    2003 Blk 1800C

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

check in this order
    Battery cables make sure they're good and tight
    Air filter. Is it dirty? Needs cleaning and/or replacing.
    Plugs. My be time for new ones.
    Battery...how old is it? A weak battery can cause your problem.
    FPR...may need replacing . the older models with the FPR has been a known problem.

Check the simple stuff first.

Rode the Dragon without the benefit of a car tire and lived to tell about it.

Is it running excessively rich??? If not then probably NOT the FPR. Pull the vacuum hose off the FPR, turn the IGN switch ON, does fuel come out of the FPR vacuum port during prime? If not, probably NOT the FPR.

I want you you look at a power connector. Some 2002 have had this trouble.
    Just wondering when the first 2003 will have it..
    Link>> http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/tech...d-main-wiring/

A few have had injector leads shorting to a cable clip (main harness clamp).
    Any FI codes???
    2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back.
    149,062 VTX miles...​On 9th frt tire, 13th rear tire
    When you stop learning, you are dying.
    http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/hans1300/profile/

Thanks for the info. Guess I was expecting more of a fuel problem then electrical. The battery is definitely old, so I'm gonna start there.

Thanks
    2003 Blk 1800C

Well I got a new battery, air cleaner and plugs. Checked the electrical connection, but still no power.
    Is it possible that the fuel filter or fuel injectors could be bad. Bout ready to take it in and have it looked at but really dont want to spend the money if its something simple to fix.
    2003 Blk 1800C

May have to start pulling plug in's apart - inspecting for loose or over heated.

Wires to the ECM - very fragile zone of small wires -

Under the Tank - some have had wear through of wires -

INspect soft spots in small wires - where internally - the wire inside could be fractured.
    Usually a couple inches out from ECM - the main computer with two large Plugs.

Smell the oil off the Dip Stick just to verify no excess fuel in the oil. - That's a FPR issue by default.

Was Scoot purchased New?

The Scoots 07 Neo S3 03 18C ServMan Wiring Dia
    We have a gang shooting on 3rd and Main. Three wounded, one dead.
    Is it just me or is rap getting lazier?

Default Loosing Power?

Mine had a weird power loss issue when I first bought it with 10 K miles on it.
    Even though it is fuel injection (2004 1800N) it acted like a carb engine running out of gas.
    I would get on it, or any situation that called for (almost) max power and it would just bog down, sometimes just die altogether. The problem was in the fuel return line from pump back to tank. It was pinched or folded over. This would put so much back pressure on pump that it couldn't work.

Does yours have an external pump? Can you follow the return line back to tank?
    Hope this helps.

Internal to the tank fuel pump, still has a return line from the FPR.

Check the fuel flow rate.
    Download the service manual and start testing with a procedure to test and eliminate.

This is what he has done:
    Well I got a new battery, air cleaner and plugs. Checked the electrical connection, but still no power.

SM is about 53 MB

http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto...By%20Mosue.pdf
    Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-23-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back.
    149,062 VTX miles...​On 9th frt tire, 13th rear tire
    When you stop learning, you are dying.
    http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/hans1300/profile/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.