Open Container Law Question
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open Container Law Question

Default Open Container Law Question

I've searched on the Internet, and could not find the answer to this question. I'm hoping that some of the Law Enforcement or attorney members might know the answer. I'm looking for info related to SC specifically, but would appreciate any facts concerning other states, also.

Open container laws prohibit an open alcoholic container in the passenger compartment. That means if you leave a party with a half-bottle of wine or liquor, you must store it in the trunk of your car. Here in SC (and probably other states), it's my understanding that there is an exclusion for SUV's, vans, etc. Since these vehicles have no trunk, the open container must be inaccessible to the driver, supposedly in the very back of the vehicle. Now my question:

How are open container laws applied to motorcycles? If I had a half-bottle of wine or liquor in my saddlebag, and was NOT drinking alcohol, could I be charged with violation of the open container law?

Thanks,
    Eddie
    2004 Red 1300S, Clayton Mod, Ultim. LowRider w/ Driv & Pass Backrests, wishmasterg Riser, Cobra Eng Grd w/ Floorbrds, Pass. Floorbrds, Honda Dlx Sissy Bar&Dlx Luggage Rack, Lightbar, 19" Memphis Wndshld, Memphis Lowers, TourMaster Zipper-Removable Bags, HDL Fender Tip, Chrome V-Radiator, Freeway Blasters, Turn Signal Beeper, Remote-Controlled LED Lighting, Backoff Module, X-Hinge, Garmin 2610 GPS

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Open containers are not illegal in the state of Colorado.....but they are illegal in virtually every city in Colorado.

Unless expressley excepted, I'd say it's largely up to the Officer that found it... If you're being a dick, you're going to jail. Then it's up to the court to decide.

Eddie, when was the last time you were searched by the law? The one and only time for me was 33 years ago.
    Most problems with the VTX1300; can
    be traced back to the last thing done, to it... by the owner.
    The challenge; separating the wheat from the chaff.

Salerno, Afghanistan - NC HillBilly at Heart! Loris, SC when state side!

Buy a GoldWing it has a trunk!!

I do not know, I'll have to ask the police officer the next time I'm pulled for something!

B.
    'Not all those who wander are lost.'
    ~~~ J.R.R Tolkein

Eddie .. There are no exclusions written in the law for vans, suv, or motorcycles. In the trunk of a vehicle no one has access to it unless you stop the vehicle and open the trunk. Vans, suv, and motorcycles make it easily accessable to passangers while driving, and there for is illeagal in SC.
    went there as strangers ... came home brothers
    02 VTX1800c
    .. PGR ..

yep, same in IL.
    There are no stupid questions,
    There's just a lot of inquisitive idiots.

There is a federal guideline for open container laws and a lot of states do not meet this guideline. Therefore, they lose federal monies. Indiana is one of them. Indiana law says the driver cannot permit an open container in the passenger area if he (she) has been drinking and test .04% or higher. Can't say about your state. Every year or so, MADD and other groups appeal to our reps at the state house to make DUI laws tougher. They add on another violation or so. Open container was one, going from .15% to .08% was another, here in Indiana. In my area, the DUI arrests have not dropped, just created more paper work for the Officer to fill out.
    In my opinion, the saddlebags would be in the passenger area. Also in my opinion, a guy like Eddie would not be drinking and test .04% or more and be controlling a motorcycle. Your welcome in Indiana anytime Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mtn Man
    Open containers are not illegal in the state of Colorado.....but they are illegal in virtually every city in Colorado.
    Yeppers, my one and only arrest was for drinking Coors pony cans when I was 18 in the back seat of a classmates car. Me and the guy in the back seat took the heat for the driver.

Those were some of my stupid moments

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.