1800R Bagger Build
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1800R Bagger Build

Default 1800R Bagger Build

Although I joined the forum back in July of 2011, I never formally introduced myself nor have I never had Spike's classic Welcome Aboard post . I laid pretty low and read and read and read. I finally decided to start a build thread and figured I would combine a little back story to make up for not taking a lot of pictures along the way

I took my Motorcycle Safety Course in 2007, never having ridden before and shortly after, inherited a 2003 VTX1800R after my father (the first and previous owner) decided to buy a Road King Classic. I honestly didn't know what I was going to do as this was a heavy beast without a lot of power. I am 6'7" so I do not have the same amount of options as most when it comes to fitting comfortably on a bike. I toyed around with selling it, and picking up a Shadow or maybe downgrading to a 1300, or even picking up a Fury. Due to space constrictions, I couldn't house 2 bikes. I was in a predicament needless to say.

After reading countless discussions of VTX 1800 vs 1300 threads, I decided to just stick with it. I babied it in parking lots for a while and my buddy set up cone drills with me until I felt comfortable to take it out. Once I got that rhinoceros out on 211 (the road that leads 50 miles into Skyline Drive) I was hooked and was glad I made the decision to keep it.

Like most I became obsessed, with how I could make this bike more for me and my style. I read for hours upon hours. I found myself entrenched in dramatic filled posts back from 2004 about 6*trees and rake and trail numbers at 3 a.m. I found dumbcomputers build thread and read it all. DC's build really was the catalyst to opening my eyes to modifying the X. For that I thank him and hate him equally.

Along the way, there have been so many other's bike I have admired, each bringing their own level of creativity and personalization. As much as I have enjoyed peoples stories and build threads, I have finally decided to start documenting some of my own progress.

I know everyone here loves pics so I apologize in advance for not having more. I will begin posting more as I hunt them down and accumulate them.

2003 VTX 1800 R - Ground Fix, Pair Valve Removal (Desmog), Accutronix "Night Series" FC & Grips, 12 inch CP Choppah Series TBars, Arnott Air Ride, Spiegler SS Brake Brake & Clutch Lines, Barnett Throttle Cables, MetricBagger Bags
    My Build Thread: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...R-Bagger-Build

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default Those Bars Have to Go

After riding for a while, I realized the stock set up for the Retro was uncomfortable, especially for being a 6'7" freak of nature. Between the floorboards raising my knees over the tank and the beach bars pulling back too far for me and colliding with my knees, I needed to swap some things out. I trailered the bike down to my buddies garage so we could start modding.

Here are a couple of shots of the bike as I received it, pretty much stock with detachable windshield and hondaline passenger seat, sissy bar and backrest.

IMG_0217.jpg IMG_0218.jpg Stock Side.jpg

2003 VTX 1800 R - Ground Fix, Pair Valve Removal (Desmog), Accutronix "Night Series" FC & Grips, 12 inch CP Choppah Series TBars, Arnott Air Ride, Spiegler SS Brake Brake & Clutch Lines, Barnett Throttle Cables, MetricBagger Bags

Welcome and you made the right choice to keep and mod an 1800R. What are the overall plans for your bagger?

VTX 1800R Custom, QQ drop bags/fender, HD Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood deck, 4 pc Ultimate seats, so much chrome it hurts....

I especially like the red carpet approach to the air operated hoist
    Why is common sense not so common

Why doesn't P.E.T.A. ever attack a biker

Quote Originally Posted by Jon's1800VTXC View Post
    I especially like the red carpet approach to the air operated hoist
    Only the best for the VTX

Quote Originally Posted by wngd View Post
    Welcome and you made the right choice to keep and mod an 1800R. What are the overall plans for your bagger?
    Initially, I really thought I was going with a 240 set up. I had everything priced out and about to pull the trigger, when I decided to go in a different direction. I will be updating with pictures of some of the things I have already done, but to answer your question... for the rear end I am going with MetricBagger. http://metricbagger.com/

I am following 1badta95's lead on this. (Thanks so much Marty for all the insight)

I may split this into two build stages, but for now the plan for stage one is:

• Cruiser Performance 12" T Bars
    • Spiegler SS Brake Kit
    • Barnett Clutch Cable
    • Accutronix Night Series Forward Controls, Grips, and Passenger Pegs
    • Metric Bagger one piece rear fender and bags
    • Arnott Air Ride
    • Paint Engine Black
    • Powder Coat Stock Wheels
    • Black Out a bunch of stuff
    • BD's Paint Job

When I sold my kidney on the black market, I only got enough to be able to afford this much.

Default Can of Worms

I removed the stock handlebars and riser off my VTX excited to slap on the powder coated black Cruiser Performance Choppah T bars I had ordered. I debated the black versus chrome for a while and decided that my X was too fast and I needed to slow it down by adding black to it. I went with a 12 inch rise based on taking measurements using a closet dowel and sitting on my bike to find the comfortable height and pullback desired for me.

I rolled the dice and thought I "might" be able to use the stock brake lines but alas, my new bars spawned a violent downhill battle of money I was about to spend. Little did I know these $200 bars would turn into a $1500 project quickly. The stock lines came up a bit short. Off to research lines.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't take as many photos as I wish I had, but I was able to find a set of chrome ones on the interwebz to depict and I have a side shot of them on as I got ready to trailer my bike back home. I am just glad I scored these bars, almost hassle free before CP imploded.

Choppah Bars.jpg CP Bars.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DJHip View Post
    Hey DJ, I see your as eloquent as ever.

BTW: I like your seat. What is it?

2003 VTX 1800R

Ya know, I think we're all Bozo's on this bus.

Love this thread so far. I, like you, found that this site has allowed my dreams to be a blessing and a curse... the money flows quickly.
    2002 VTX1800S
    Performance module, HID's, Vance & Hines pipes, Ultimate X seat, Progressive HD shocks, custom Hulk speedometer, and chrome accents galore.

Default While I'm At It

So while researching the cost of longer brake lines, I found out the great news about VTX 1800 brakes. I was overwhelmed with joy about replacing the whole brake line kit. Hey since I am about to drop $400+ on some Spieglers (brake line kit and clutch line), I figured lets grab some forward controls while the money tree was spitting out money.

Tossing back and forth between Accutronix and Supreme Legends, I stumbled across the Accutronix "Night Series" set which had FC's, Grips, and matching passenger pegs. The night series are black anodized and machined with an aluminum finish.

Through research, I cyber stalked Troonsouth, but he only dealt with 1300's.

Hmmm, 1300's don't have to deal with brake line kits, get better deals on FC's and have the single pin crank for better sounding exhaust? Should I have downgraded while I had the chance?!?

No I continued shopping for the best deal and scored some FC's, grips, and passenger pegs.

Night Series Grips.jpg Forward Controls.jpg

I was going to name my thread "Mike's Second Hand Left Overs". Have a nice ring to it? bwhahaha

Quote Originally Posted by HulkVTX View Post
    Love this thread so far. I, like you, found that this site has allowed my dreams to be a blessing and a curse... the money flows quickly.
    Thanks Hulk! I always enjoy others bike, mods, and builds. There are so many options so it's nice to see what other people do.

jrhudak,

Since you are 6'-7", I wonder if you have any problems with the seat height and being cramped on the VTX. I see that you have floor boards and drag bars, but the stock seat must be very close to the ground for you.

I am 6'-4" and was not particularly comfortable on my F model. I now have straight risers (5.5 inch) and drag bars with a small amount of pull-back, and I had the seat reupholstered to bring it two inches. Overall the comfort is much better and with a windshield it should be even better.

Do you plan on modifying your bike to make it more comfortable.

Subscribed! Looking forward to your build progress, and the 1300 is actually an upgrade from the 1800!

Quote Originally Posted by Yaesu View Post

Do you plan on modifying your bike to make it more comfortable.
    Yeah, it was definitely cramped at first. A lot of the modifications I have done are in the past as I try and bring this thread up to speed. I have the bars and the forward controls on which stretched me out a bit, but being this tall, I am still not even fully stretched out compared to others with FC's.

The bags that are being fabricated right now are going to have some mods done to help this. The one piece rear fender and bags from MetricBagger, which can be used with the stock seat, has about a three inch gap space behind the seat and the fender where it bolts to the fender rails. Darrin from MB is notching out 3 inches which will allow me to sit more back. He is currently pouring me a new seat pan mold which I am having custom made and upholstered. This should give me more breathing room and definitely a huge improvement from that stock seat.

Being tall definitely has its pros, but being able to slide into a stock bike is not one of them. Being tall yourself, I am sure you can relate. Your bike looks great and glad you were able to make it more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by MR VTX View Post
    Subscribed! Looking forward to your build progress, and the 1300 is actually an upgrade from the 1800!
    Ha Ha MR VTX. I was planning on giving you a shout out later when I spoke about internally wiring the bars. Your thread was invaluable. Thanks for the subscription. I am going to paint something orange on my bike in your honor.

By the way... I'm in the tall club too.... 6'5". I'm pretty darned comfy on mine, but have after market seating (Ultimate X) and am installing a highway bar and highway pegs for those long rides.
    2002 VTX1800S
    Performance module, HID's, Vance & Hines pipes, Ultimate X seat, Progressive HD shocks, custom Hulk speedometer, and chrome accents galore.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhudak View Post
    Ha Ha MR VTX. I was planning on giving you a shout out later when I spoke about internally wiring the bars. Your thread was invaluable. Thanks for the subscription. I am going to paint something orange on my bike in your honor.
    With my luck, it will probably be the underside of the engine where no one can see it! You must have pretty long arms, too, to be able to sit back that far and still reach those bars. I only have a 29"-30" sleeve length, so that's why I put the CP Punishers on. Much more comfortable now with the bars closer to me.

Speaking of CP, I was shocked that they are gone. But it figures, 'cause now that makes four things on my bike that are no longer made:

1. Hard bags - Invicta Motorsports (out of business)
    2. Exhaust - Roadhouse (o.o.b.)
    3. Plastic Fairing - Xtreme Revolution (out of business, but now being made only in fiberglass by S t u m p w e r x)
    4. Punishers - CP (o.o.b.)

Quote Originally Posted by HulkVTX View Post
    By the way... I'm in the tall club too.... 6'5". I'm pretty darned comfy on mine, but have after market seating (Ultimate X) and am installing a highway bar and highway pegs for those long rides.
    So I was thinking since everyone is in the Bub Club, or 240 Club, or <insert random thing here> Club in their signature, I am going to start rocking this in my signature line...

TPC_Logo_Blue_yellow.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by MR VTX View Post
    With my luck, it will probably be the underside of the engine where no one can see it! You must have pretty long arms, too, to be able to sit back that far and still reach those bars. I only have a 29"-30" sleeve length, so that's why I put the CP Punishers on. Much more comfortable now with the bars closer to me.

Speaking of CP, I was shocked that they are gone. But it figures, 'cause now that makes four things on my bike that are no longer made:

1. Hard bags - Invicta Motorsports (out of business)
    2. Exhaust - Roadhouse (o.o.b.)
    3. Plastic Fairing - Xtreme Revolution (out of business, but now being made only in fiberglass by S t u m p w e r x)
    4. Punishers - CP (o.o.b.)
    I would paint more of it orange, but I am scared of how fast it would be. My sleeve length is 36"-37" and sometimes those shirts are a bit short. In my MSF course, I sat on the passenger seat of the 250 to ride it .

I was lucky to get my bars from Brian, before things went south. It's tough being a one man show I guess. Just makes me appreciate my bars more. Back when I was going to do the 240 Retro fender, I hunted dooleys high and low. I offered people my first born son, birth rights, etc. Part of the reason I decided to go bagger. I always felt like the retro models should have came stock with dooleys. I really like the XR fairing. I am not ready for that purchase yet, so I have time.

So I had ordered my Spiegler's and the Accrutronix FC's and was thrilled when they arrived. The forward controls had easy to follow instructions by Troy and his customer service was great. I was now ready to tackle the brake lines. I opened the instructions and began to follow the steps. Take off the seat (no problem), remove the battery (no sweat), remove the battery housing (hmmmm), take of the gas tank (wtf). I just wanted some taller bars and now I am tearing down the bike. I found bareasschoppers step by step and gave it a go.

After the tank was off (which wasn't that bad of a job) I began gutting the lines and it all became clear why I had to remove everything else from the bike. Surprisingly, installing the Spiegler's was not that bad either as the instructions were great and easy to follow. I chalked up my new found success to playing with legos as a kid and following the directions, something that has paid dividends in other areas of my life.

So now that my seat and tank are off, what else should I do? I went ahead and tackled that Pair Valve Removal/Desmog and Ground Fix. Thanks again bareasschoppers. I used the dimpled plates which made it even easier. I do wish I had a dremel at the time, which I have now. WOuld have made sanding the powder coated frame easier rather than by hand. Though my wife had fun shooting a pic of me doing it.

Ground Fix.jpg Torn Down.jpg

Default Time To Get Serious

So I was starting to come to a cross road. I had been enjoying myself, tinkering on the bike handling some little things, but I was tired of the bike being disassembled and I wanted to take this thing to the next level. I already had my tank off the bike so the next logical step was to talk paint with Bryan from BD's Cycles. I realize I am preaching to the choir when I say Bryan is great, but nonetheless I still wanted give him the praise. We talked about what I was planning to do with the bike and my overall vision of where I wanted to go with it. Bryan just got it and was coming up with great ideas.

I thought okay, I want Bryan to take the seam out of my tank and paint it, but why stop there? I was already invested this far so why not push farther. Why not have Bryan start blacking out everything on bike? Why just send the tins, why not give him my bike? I made the decision that I would rather just have it done this winter than risk having down time slowly working on this myself. I mean it's fun to work on your bike, but it's even more fun to ride it. I was all in. Luckily he is only a couple states away and logistically I could make it work.

Bryan continued the tear down and we strategically started picking out parts to black out....

What's better than a VTX engine?

Blacked Out.jpg

A VTX engine thats painted black!

And while we're at it, let's black out the triple trees and calipers.

Since I decided to go with an expensive set of bags, I decided to compromise on the wheels. Plus I am not sure if I wanted to leave the option open for a bigger front wheel in the future so rather than buy aftermarket wheels and be stuck with committing to a certain size, I took the powder coating route.

Blacked Wheels.jpg

So now that my seat and tank are off, what else should I do?

Ground Fix.jpg
    #1 Never work on the X with sandals.
    #2 Where the hell is your beer??
    #3 Does 6'1" get me in the club or am I a little person to you gigantos?

Great job Jay, bikes gonna be sweeeeeet!!!!!

He already said his wife was taking the picture, maybe she's bringing him another beer too
    Can't wait to see all this put together again.

VTX 1800R Custom, QQ drop bags/fender, HD Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood deck, 4 pc Ultimate seats, so much chrome it hurts....

1. I have size 15 feet. If I lose one of my toes, I consider it a blessing that I might be able to walk into a store and buy shoes like you tiny people.
    2. Wngd came to my defense on this one.
    3. 6'1" is not that tall. That puts you at slightly above average. I may consider making you an honorary member though.

Quote Originally Posted by wngd View Post
    He already said his wife was taking the picture, maybe she's bringing him another beer too
    Can't wait to see all this put together again.
    I mean that's the only reason to get married, right? I was tired of doing my own laundry and getting my own beer.

Default Drop it Low

Arnott.jpg

Arnotts arrived. Even though these babies will be hidden under the one piece bags, I still went for the all black ones just in case I decide to switch things up in the future. Being hidden also saved me some coin on those covers that people with chrome typically buy. There are a few options I need to run through now. They sell an aftermarket remote, or extension wiring to mount the switch to the handlebars. Not sure if I will do something like this or stick with the stock switch.

Is the consensus still to mount the compressor in the tool kit box on the left side under the seat? Off to research some more...

Sent you my number if you like to chat for a minute about your options

I'm not going gray, I'm going chrome

Thanks Wizza for the chat! Great information and hopefully we can catch up at this years ECG.

1. I have size 15 feet. If I lose one of my toes, I consider it a blessing that I might be able to walk into a store and buy shoes like you tiny people.
    2. Wngd came to my defense on this one.
    3. 6'1" is not that tall. That puts you at slightly above average. I may consider making you an honorary member though....
    well if it helps my honorary membership I've always TOLD chics I wear a size 15...

Default The Black Out Continues

The black out is coming along great and thought I would share some pics. All props go to Bryan for his paint skills...

Left side shot.

IMG_4405.jpg

Sumo-X Fat Fork Covers: Powder Coated Black of course

IMG_1821.jpg

Controls and Levers

IMG_7834.jpg

Right Side

IMG_7994.jpg

Feet and Calipers

IMG_0590.jpg

I know blacking versus chrome is a big debate, but I am so happy the way way it is turning out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.