DIY mishaps
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY mishaps

Default DIY mishaps

When I installed my Big Shots, I somehow got the acorn nuts cross-threaded. Didn't feel that way when they were going on, but it was. Had leaks at both flanges, the bike is in the shop now to replace studs, bolts, and gaskets. Dropped it off there because oil was leaking from somewhere, I couldn't figure it out. Turns out when I replaced the crappy black dipstick with a shiny new chrome one (I changed my oil on Sunday), I forgot the o-ring for the new dipstick. DOH!

Live and learn I guess. I'm going to have the shop jet the carb while they have it in there, so I can get back on the road sooner and with more confidence. Should be purring like a kitten when I get her back. The weather is getting nicer here in North Texas, I'd rather be riding than wrenching.
    Big Greggo

2004 VTX 1300S - Vance & Hines Big Shots, Mustang Wide Vintage, Memphis Shades Fats, Kuryakyn mirrors and turn signals, Hondaline Solo fender rack, Show Chrome radiator cover, Dunlop white walls, K&N air filter

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Don't be too hard on yourself, we ALL make mistakes. Those that have not made mistakes are either not doing anything or they lie. Some times we do little things (like your o-ring) no big deal. Some of us do things that can get us in big trouble, like I forgot to torque my rear axle nut, but found it on a latter inspection. Stuff happens.
    Perry's '04 1300S/R Glen's CPR, and Perm A/F tool, Decaped air box w/SPyKER modded X cap, K&N filter,Pare valve mod, Factory Pro Kit, Iso Grips, Mustang Seat, Memphes Shades windscreen, 4" Aeromack risers, All balls steering bearings, Progressive fork springs, Breakaway TL, V&H Crusers, Polished wheels. Tsukayu VTX bags

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

More than likely you did NOT cross thread the nuts. The nuts bottomed out on the stud before they could tighten the flange down enough. This is why you had the backfiring from the leaking headers. This is why we say to either add washers to the studs before you put on those acorn nuts. Or ditch the acorn nuts and go with regular nuts

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

I have been "fixing" things since I was kid tearing up my sisters toys. I learned with experience how to do things by learning how NOT to do them the first time.

Don't get down on yourself. You learned how not to do it so that snake won't bite you again.
    2003 VTX 1800R, V&H Big Shots, Desmog, K&N, Double Darkside-Goodyear TT 205/60-16,Michellin Pilot Active 150/70-17, Dyna Beads, Honda Line windshield, Jett lowers, Kury ISO grips w/Throttle Boss, Scootworks Phatriser II, Mustang seat with Paladin Passenger removable backrest, Paladin highway bars with Kury pegs, Edge bags w/brackets.

Little late now but the studs are available at ACE Hardware.
    Donut Doug

I am no expert, but I can do basic plumbing now. I had my first lesson from a professional plumber many years ago. I can also do a decent job patching drywall. Just think, if I hadn't put a wood screw through that water pipe all those years ago, I may not have those skills today!!

Default ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    I am no expert, but I can do basic plumbing now. I had my first lesson from a professional plumber many years ago. I can also do a decent job patching drywall. Just think, if I hadn't put a wood screw through that water pipe all those years ago, I may not have those skills today!!
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the biggest deal when it comes to threads of any exhaust fastener.

Just simply removing them - about 99.9% - if they were not pre-coated with anti-sieze -
    threads were damaged coming off.

Could be worse - galled / seized threads stripped out of heads just removing studs.
    Still a simple repair - and better results when stainless Heli-Coils used.

Even the shuttle was taken down by just an O-ring - so a minor oil leak was just confirming it was missing.
    But who'd a thought one had to even think about an o-ring with a spanky new dip stick.
    Last edited by Philscbx; 02-21-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Yeah, I'm not beating myself up too much. Live and learn on stuff like this. I will do more research in the future before I just dive in, but I do want to do most of this stuff myself.
    Big Greggo

2004 VTX 1300S - Vance & Hines Big Shots, Mustang Wide Vintage, Memphis Shades Fats, Kuryakyn mirrors and turn signals, Hondaline Solo fender rack, Show Chrome radiator cover, Dunlop white walls, K&N air filter

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
    More than likely you did NOT cross thread the nuts. The nuts bottomed out on the stud before they could tighten the flange down enough. This is why you had the backfiring from the leaking headers. This is why we say to either add washers to the studs before you put on those acorn nuts. Or ditch the acorn nuts and go with regular nuts

Ace Hardware (old school Ace) sells "thin" chrome nuts and washers for about a buck apiece. 8mmx1.25. Then after you torque them down and run it a few miles to get it hot and re-torque. Be sure there is no exhaust leaks! After all that you can then put the acorn nut on top to keep it looking purdy!

Default Experience

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreggo View Post
    When I installed my Big Shots, I somehow got the acorn nuts cross-threaded. Didn't feel that way when they were going on, but it was. Had leaks at both flanges, the bike is in the shop now to replace studs, bolts, and gaskets. Dropped it off there because oil was leaking from somewhere, I couldn't figure it out. Turns out when I replaced the crappy black dipstick with a shiny new chrome one (I changed my oil on Sunday), I forgot the o-ring for the new dipstick. DOH!

Live and learn I guess. I'm going to have the shop jet the carb while they have it in there, so I can get back on the road sooner and with more confidence. Should be purring like a kitten when I get her back. The weather is getting nicer here in North Texas, I'd rather be riding than wrenching.
    Experience is the ability to recognize a screw-up before you make it the 2nd time...I have a lot of experience!

Good judgement comes from bad experience. The only thing that you can hope is that it's someone else's experience.

That is why I read these threads. I'm not creative enough to come up with preventive measures all on my own.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.