Honda VTX Forum banner

Curious problem VTX1800c

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Travis311 
#1 ·
Hiya ppls.

I recently bought at VTX1800c but have an "issue", to say the least.

I was riding my VTX1800c the other night and ran out of petrol. The fuel indicator light didn't come on. I pulled over to the side of the road,
gave the bike a shake from side to side then tried to restart it. Bike cranked but didn't start (obviously lol). A mate turned up with some fuel,
we put it in, hit the starter, and nothing happened except the lights dimmed. We thought the battery might have died so we replaced the one in the
bike with a known good one. Same result. We checked the fuses (and replaced 1 - just to be sure). Same result. After some hours trying to get it running,
I gave up and had the bike towed home.

Things of note.
Bike does not crank at all.
headlights etc. dim when starter is pushed.
The bike had been sitting un-ridden for approx 12 months before I bought it 2 weeks ago - however, bike was started regularly to keep battery charged.
I have ridden it for about 1,000kms since I got it with no issue.
I have checked all the fuses.
I can hear the fuel pump relay clicking, and the fuel pump priming.
All lights on the dash light up as usual when turning ignition on, except the fuel indicator.
I get no flashing error codes.
The kill switch turning on/off resets the MIL light, and I hear a click from a relay
The bike has had the ground mod done.
I am the 2nd owner and the bike has been extremely well maintained (regular servicing etc). The bike still looks new.

When I press the start button, the bike behaves the same as when you try to start it with the stand down and in gear. All the lights dim etc. I have tried
starting it with the stand both up and down with the exact same result. However, even with the stand down and in gear the fuel light normally comes on.

The bike has had the wiring redone in the past, so wiring is slightly different to stock.

My questions are, could the bank angle sensor have been tripped while shaking the bike, and because the bike had sat un-ridden for a year, become stuck?
Also, is it possible for the engine cut off switch to have been tripped and not reset?
Is this problem likely to be related to the fuel sensor itself?
Are there any other sensors that stop fuel flow if they are tripped?

Because the low fuel light didn't come on, I suspect that the fuel sensor (because the bike had been sitting?) is at fault.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bank angle sensor resets when key is turned off.
If it does not crank with good battery then the push button switch needs cleaned and minor tweak of spring and contact.
First make sure the kill switch didn't get pushed to off.

Reactions: rangers4u
#3 ·
Contradicting statements.
Bike cranked but didn't start
Things of note. Bike does not crank at all.

Headlight does not dim when the starter switch is pushed, it opens the headlight circuit and the headlight goes out.
BAS is working if you have fuel pump prime,
Are you sure you were low on fuel when it stopped?
Honda starter switch is common problem with headlight and starter relay involved.
To clean and lube the starter switch: Starter Button Maintenance on Valkyries
Sometimes a little trimming of plastic on the shunt is required..
What year is it?

#6 ·
The OP mentions he's put 1000 km on the bike. Odds are this is not an American spec. bike. Mine is European spec. and the headlight does not go off when starting the bike. It's only a single contact switch. Something else is amiss here. A headlight dimming would indicate a load of some significance. Could be the starter? I would disconnect the cable going from the starter solenoid (behind left side cover) going to the starter motor then try the start sequence watching to see if the headlight dims again. Start troubleshooting from there.

Reactions: rangers4u
#8 · (Edited)
Sorry CS but I must respectfully disagree with you. I'm looking at my multi-language owners manual now that contains two wiring schematics. The 2002 VTX1800C (E,F,ED) models do not have an interconnected starter switch and headlight switch while the (U) model does. The OP may have one of the E, F or ED models. Hopefully we will hear where he's from or where he bought his bike.
In defense of your post Spike, both schematics, all four models have an O2 sensor shown. That confirms that the emissions would fall in line with a CA bike.

#9 · (Edited)
I have a Euro wiring schematic from FastSpek, no running lights as we know it and a single position
light in/on the headlight bucket. Light switch is Off/Position/Headlight
Not associated with the starter switch as in the USA.

Lights dimming when cranking is normal, battery voltage will drop several volts.

Also a high resistance will drop voltage. Battery connections, the secondary ground wire,
common electronics ground.
Look at Ground Fix in Step by Step 1800 section or here: http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/electrical/ground-fix-for-vtx-1800/

2004 1800C = First Generation, FP in tank.
Euro(Intl) or US version?

Attachments

#12 ·
I am in Australia. We don't have a separate light on/off switch as it is a legal requirement that all bikes have their lights on at all times when the ignition is on.

The fuel pump is priming from just in front of the rear guard.

My mistake pplz, it's a 2006 model (I keep getting 2004 stuck in my head). Sorry for the confusion.....

Headlight dims when trying to start it.

#14 · (Edited)
Andec - put transmission in Neutral, at the Starter Relay bridge/connect/short the two bolts together.
A screwdriver or pair of pliers will work.
One bolt is the +12v battery cable, the other bolt is the Starter Motor.
There will be some arcs and sparks until you have a good connection and then the starter motor should
be cranking the engine over.

If the engine cranks over then turn the IGN switch ON to see if it will crank and run.

USA version Starter/Headlight switch. Report back..

#15 ·
#18 ·
Bike cranked when I first ran out of fuel (there was nothing in the tank), but then next attempt to start didn't crank. Something changed......
Agreed! Pump sucked in something it didn't like so now, you do not get any gas(petrol).

Consider the bike sat for quite a while. You filled the tank and debris floated around(maybe). Once fuel got very low in tank, you had just enough to crank it and run it but by this time, the junk is stuck, preventing more fuel flow, and is possibly preventing it to start/run. Just a silly theory!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.