Honda VTX Forum banner

1800T Darkside Info needed

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  dud-57 
#1 ·
Really wanting to run a car tire on the back of my 2007 VTX 1800T. Was wondering if anyone out there has ran a 205-65-16. If so does it fit and what things need to be modified to fit the tire. By all means if anyone recommends other sizes or a particular brand, please let me know.

#3 ·
I'm running a 205-65-16 General Altimax RT43 radial. Love it! I have 6K+ on it, looks new. I run Ride-On for internal balancer/ sealer, and about 38 psi, and a steel 90* valve stem. 205 is a little tight, but will fit if deflated first, then re-inflated once it's all buttoned up. Superior traction and braking, wet or dry. I'll likely never wear it out, as I only get a few K / yr. riding miles.

Reactions: frnkcat
#12 ·
Just to follow up with the 'Ride-On'. 2 weeks ago I rode 300 mi. ea. way to the Columbus, Oh. tech session. While riding around there, picked up a ringed flooring nail, right up through the center plies. Had I not had the R-O, I probably would have gone flat immediately, but we did not notice until the next morning, that it had gone flat overnight in the garage where we were staying. We had to put a plug in the tire, with 7K miles looking like new, but even though it got me home, I would not trust it. Just my personal preference. So I got another brand new General Altimax, same size, date code 0417, and put in 2 full 8 oz bottles of Ride-On. I paid $120 for the tire, installed, and the R-O was $14.95 ea. bottle.

#9 ·
Michelin Cmdr. II, or Defender, Dunlop American Elite, probably more.

#10 ·
Zartinoman - whether you go to the Dark Side or not,,, Ride-On is one of your best friends. This is a product that is injected into the tire (at installation) and coats the inside of the tires after inflation and a few miles of riding. This serves as a protection against flat tires, as well as a wheel balancer (allowing the removal of wheel weights). I've been riding with Ride-On for 2 years and LOVE the product. Much smoother ride that I got with weights, and the wheels look better without the clutter.
Safe Riding.

Reactions: rangers4u
#14 ·
Old thread ...but here goes..u do know that the last numbers are the rim size....1800C is 16”, I know this because I’m running a 1800C rim on my 1300R...with a 205/65/16...48K miles and zero problems....sorry but I dont have any answers for your tire size search...good luck...do your homework Darkside takes some getting use to.....:thumbup:

#15 ·
I do, and thanks. My concern is the width. I don't want to have to grind down bolts on the sides. I think a 65 or 70 aspect would give me decent cornering. As you know, we don't rip the corners in these that often, but I am looking at some stickier car tires. I'd still get decent longevity as well as decent traction in corners. I did see a video of a guy with a K1600 BMW ripping up a track, though. I average 30,000 - 35,000 miles annually on my X, and I'm going broke with tires, even though I ride Shinko 886s exclusively.

#16 · (Edited)
I don't think you'd have any problem with 60 aspect ratio, and there are ton more 16" 195mm wide tires in that size than in 65 or 70.

My criteria would be: NOT a B load rating; I'd hold out for C. Minimum load rating... maybe 88 or 89. Speed rating: at least an S; not that I'm planning on hitting 112 mph, but margin is a good thing.

As a personal preference (probably more style-related than actual performance); I also prefer tread patterns that are both symmetrical and directional.

So, using the above filters, here is a candidate:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-195-60R16-89V-Kumho-Ecsta-PA31-195-60-16-Tire/323294101614?epid=7017023543&hash=item4b45d4806e%3Ag%3AloIAAOSwX7JbG3Uw&LH_ItemCondition=1000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.