Honda VTX Forum banner

how far have you ridden your bike in one day?

3K views 60 replies 55 participants last post by  rborsholm 
#1 ·
My friend Cathy and I rode to NC once ,it was 319 miles that's as far as I've been.We took all back roads and it took us like 7 hours.
My uncle was living in Key West, the year I was born ,and his grandmother had a heart attack. She was in the hospital in Charleston S.C.. The only way he had to get there was a 1972 Triumph that he had made into a chopper. He made the trip in about 14 hours. He said he had to stop about every 70 miles for gas.When he got off the bike in the hospital parking lot his legs were numb.The bike was a kick start.By the way his grandmother got better and lived another 12 years .
Wendy Sue

#27 ·
700 solo good weather
300 solo rain
550 2-up

You can ride till you get tired or sleepy, at that point pull over no matter the distance. Get a good seat, I have an Ultimate lowrider. The bike can handle it..If its a cross country juant Isay no more than 500 a day.

#29 ·
Biked from Port St Lucie, Fl to New Jersey 2004
Last 2 weeks of August. Made trip in 18 hours
traveling about 90 MPH. Gas Milage was 36MPG at
That speed. somewhat less than normal riding
(45 MPG). Stopped for gas every 135 Miles or so which
was less than two hours each time. Got gas 12 times
on the way up to Jersey.

First day was about 900 plus miles to Arlington Va.
Rode 6am To 8pm. Gas stops with snacks and
phone calls to the wife ... about 20 minutes each
... 5 Meal times were about half hour each.
Rained from Georgia to Virginia.
Moteled in Virginia and Made jersey destination
by noon the next day.

The rain made it an adventure.
Trip back was sunny and maybe just a bit boring.
Bike was great. Comfortable.
Dont forget you gotta stop for gas every two hours or less
so you get to get off the bike for awhile and
stretch your legs or whatevery.

Am planning to do it again this august.
Hope the numbers add up i didnt do the math
:?:

#32 ·
700 miles door to door from my home in Derry, New Hampshire to my brother's home in Cleveland, Ohio. Usually takes 10 hours. Upon arrival, after a beer, some grub and a hot shower, can do an evening 'round Cleveland ride with no probs.

The keys:
Ultimate seat.
Windshield.
Hiway pegs.

Also did 14 hours one day returning from a long motorcyle trip of 4000 miles in 7 days. Can't remember how many total miles that day, don't want to...

G
#33 ·
2 weeks ago with 2 other friends 1 on a BMW another on Gold Wing me on my 1300 X..All went well......from eastern NC to Boone NC then to Roanoke Va. then back..around 680 miles.. it was all I wanted in a day

#35 ·
on the "x", just from Westerly RI to laconia bikeweek last year (2 up). longest ever from austin TX to NJ on an old silverwing, 3 days in the rain.

#37 ·
Tinman said:
1300+ Key West to Bridge City Texas. Don't know if that counts though as my wife and I (riding seperate bikes) took 27 hours to get home. Submitted paperwork to IBA for SS 1000.
I lived in Key West untill I was 12, When were you there? I haven't been back since 93 I understand it has changed a lot since then.
Wendy Sue

#38 ·
650 from Branson Mo to Dayton Oh 10hrs the last 1hr in rain. Did that on the stock seat and was comfortable the whole way. Until a close call in the rain then I had to pull the seat out of my az. I was getting tired but I'd do it again or go a little farther. I've thought about doing a SS 1000 some day just to say I did one.

#39 ·
About 150 in the same day so far, but next Monday I have to do about 500+ miles, with the stock seat :cry:

Dale

P.S. Anyone have a better seat that I could borrow for a day :D

#40 ·
A few weeks ago a buddy and I did a SF Bay Area to Las Vegas trip -- it was around 550 miles each way. What with all the gas stops, a couple of meals and some construction around Barstow, it took us about 10-11 hours. I normally fly to Vegas (takes about 90 minutes) but my friend really wanted to do it on bikes. Happily, what with the Mustang seats, windshields and aftermarket shocks it was actually comfortable and not fatiguing at all; but otherwise that was fairly ambitious and I'm not inclined to do it again. Also, interesting note: I put about 1,200 miles on the bike on that trip and spent about $150 in gas (gotta love paying $3.50/gal.....). :x

Beyond that I annually do several bike rallies (Redding, Reno, etc.) that are typically about 225-250 miles each way. After this Vegas trip, next time I go on one of those -- ha -- it will be like a walk in the park!

#41 ·
I've put in more than a few 1000+ mile days but only when neccessary like when catching up to a schedule or to get somewhere that's ok to stop for the night while riding through rural areas of Mexico. Most of those were on my old bike (a '00 Sabre 1100). I usually try to keep it under 700 to 800 miles a day if that's practical. That way, I can get just about anywhere I want to to go in 2 days and maybe a half day if it's really far. I just took the 1300 C from Fort Worth, Texas to Monterrey, Mexico which is roughly 850 miles each way. I usually split the ride down into 2 days but come home in 1. I went to Playa Del Carmen last summer (on the Sabre) for my nephews wedding. it's 2500 miles each way. We got down there in 3 days but between my brother's fatigue and several problems his Deuce developed (overheating, spraying oil and such) we took 5 days getting home. I set the Sabre up for long range a lot more than I have the VTX but my Monterrey trip went off just fine stock seat, lowered suspension and all.

#42 ·
mileage

Me vtx 1300S , wife 1100 v-star custom. Old Faithful in Yellowstone to Glagow N.D.. 600+ miles.

#44 ·
My longest one day ride was about 450 miles when I circled through the Adirondack Mtns. in upstate NY. On a good day, I travel around 350 miles minimum. I only use the interstate to get through Syracuse. After that, it is state and county roads. That's the only way to fly. Like I told my wife; if I can still walk when I get home from a trip, I haven't travelled far enough :lol:

#45 ·
wendysuediva said:
Tinman said:
1300+ Key West to Bridge City Texas. Don't know if that counts though as my wife and I (riding seperate bikes) took 27 hours to get home. Submitted paperwork to IBA for SS 1000.
I lived in Key West untill I was 12, When were you there? I haven't been back since 93 I understand it has changed a lot since then.
Wendy Sue
We went down there a couple of weeks ago. Not much has changed except the skyline (such as it is). Thinking about moving there. Just gotta find out how to get rich first. :?

#46 ·
435 one way from Spartanburg S.C. To St Augustine Fl every weekend on an ST1100 till the wife got moved up. Now 259 one way every fri nite and mon morn. with a stock seat.

#48 ·
To key West 5 or 6 times on the bike around 900 + miles.

Twice via Iles of Palms out side Charleston to pick up a friend.
Those two trips were little over 1100 miles.

Last fall 725 2 up somewhere near the north end of Blue Ridge than hit the slab and blasted to the Outer Banks

The first time to the keys on a 85 VT 1100 with a windshield.
Almost tossed it into drink
The last time I used a full windshield

#51 ·
I did 1050 miles this weekend, Today I put 497 miles on my bike. I would have kept going... had the road been longer! Went to Laconia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.